Starting p90x Monday.. Need Advice!

Options
JHB2011
JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
I am starting p90x Monday and I am so excited..
But I have a question..
I'm also running (about 2 miles a day, trying to add on more as I go)... Am I going to over work myself by doing both work outs?

Replies

• dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am starting p90x Monday and I am so excited..
    But I have a question..
    I'm also running (about 2 miles a day, trying to add on more as I go)... Am I going to over work myself by doing both work outs?

Make sure you eat enough food and listen to your body. If I did that I would probably be doing too much, but it may be different for you. Maybe try doing P90X in the morning and see if you still have the energy to run in the evening.
  • slowpoke269
    slowpoke269 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with what dreweth said. Listen to your body. The first week of P90X your gonna be sore (in a good way). There is a doubles schedule so I don't think what you want to do is crazy. I would definitely do one in the morning and the other at night.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    JHB - keep running. There is no traditional "cardio" in P90X. It is really a combination of strength and interval training. Cardio will only supplement the program. Bear in mind that "cardio is like ketchup". Like ketchup, it makes things taste better - but it's not the meal. Strength training is the core of every fitness and fat loss program.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous comments on eating well and listening to your body. If you are going to push it on the runs the two activities need to be separated, or you could go very easy on the runs and use them as part of the warm up. I'm more of a cardio guy so I could never give up running but it can fit nicely with P90X. You can do this! Do your best and forget the rest!!!
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I agree with the MFPeeps above. I have just about completed P90X as I have only two weeks to go. I did run every now and then but not daily as the workouts are exhausting. I typically eat most of my exercise cals back so on days where I ran and did P90X, I got to eat a lot! I tried to only run on resistance days, but sometimes I just felt like I needed to run so I did. I also do not count resistance calories in my daily goal so if I knew I was going to be going out to eat or something, I would run as well.

This week has been a little different as I am doing a "Challenge" to try and burn over 1000 cals per day for 7 days.

Good luck and enjoy the program. Its a good one!
  • cburn_317
    cburn_317 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just be sure you are taking in enough calories...good calories so that you don't bonk out!

Lots of people I know have done doubles, meaning they do the regular P90X routine in the AM and then another cardio program the in PM.

I have done P90X several times already and have moved onto P90X2!

Good luck!
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! You were all a great help!
  • mrnice1058
    mrnice1058 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I also started P90X on monday and i run about 1 mile so far. I find myself a little more hungry the days i do P90X and run. like yesterday i only did P90x and i didnt run i wasnt as hungry. Just listen to your body eat enough food and you will be good! Lets hope we both get the body's we want after the 90 days :)
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    On the resistance days your're probably fine to continue to run. The day you do Plyo, I'd think twice about running. In my opinion that would be overkill.
  • marvinsanchez
    marvinsanchez Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On the same line of questions, I have one of my own about P90x.

I would like to do it, but how do I know how many calories I burned during the workout. I want to make sure that I don't put my body into starvation mode by burning too many calories and not eating enough...and I also don't want to over eat....

My treadmill and elliptical machines give me a rough idea of what I burned exercising, but how do you know from the P90X workouts?
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    On the same line of questions, I have one of my own about P90x.

I would like to do it, but how do I know how many calories I burned during the workout. I want to make sure that I don't put my body into starvation mode by burning too many calories and not eating enough...and I also don't want to over eat....

My treadmill and elliptical machines give me a rough idea of what I burned exercising, but how do you know from the P90X workouts?

You're best option is to get a HRM, but it that is not possible I believe there are websites you can use to get estimates...just google calorie counter, or something like that.

Also, to give you an idea, I usually burn between 350 to 425 calories during the strength training days, about 500 calories with Plyometrics, about 400 calories for the full 90 minutes of yoga. You'd probably burn more being male.
  • marvinsanchez
    Options
    You're best option is to get a HRM, but it that is not possible I believe there are websites you can use to get estimates...just google calorie counter, or something like that.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's an HRM?
    Also, to give you an idea, I usually burn between 350 to 425 calories during the strength training days, about 500 calories with Plyometrics, about 400 calories for the full 90 minutes of yoga. You'd probably burn more being male.

How did you come up with those number? That's what I'm trying to do. Have a basic idea so that I can stay within my calorie intake goals.
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's an HRM?

How did you come up with those number? That's what I'm trying to do. Have a basic idea so that I can stay within my calorie intake goals.

Hi Marvin,

Your profile is locked, but I see you are trying to lose around 60 more pounds. I need to lose about 60-70 more as well. With a heart rate monitor, I track about 550-850 calories for each hour long workout. At 260 pounds, I am struggling during these workouts, and the heart rate monitor shows the truth. People who are more fit and better at that exercise will not have to work as hard and will not burn as many calories.

While Polar seems to be the recommended heart rate monitor around here, I like my Timex just fine, and got it for about $40 on amazon. I will be buying a Polar at some point for my wife, as the Timex I have does not have a different burn rate for men and women, it assumes you are a man.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A good, deep-breathing cardio exercise will burn about 9 calories/minute. If you're really gasping, figure on about 12 cals/min.

Less than deep breathing cardio - well, you're wasting your time anyway.
  • marvinsanchez
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

Time to go shopping for a Heart Rate Monitor...