Anybody got fit without cutting carbs?

Options
maaadde
maaadde Posts: 90 Member
I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has managed to get fit without going very low on carbs? Like, sticking around perhaps 40%? I know it's very possible to lose weight with just calorie restriction but since I'm not overweight I feel like I might have to cut out the carbs, but god, I love bread!

I'm 5'8, weigh 144 lbs and I'm hoping to drop about 15 more lbs. Anybody who has succeeded? With pictures?

Replies

• salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I haven't really cut my carbs down at all, and I'm not fussed if I go over my limit.

Also, if you're not overweight, are you looking to tone up rather than specifically lose "weight" - scales are arbitrary, what most people think of when they think of losing weight is actually to end up with a defined body, which you need to target with strength training more so that just calorie counting.

Check this for an idea of what I mean: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat 45% carbs, weigh 123 lbs, 20% BF and can run 9 miles in 85 mins without stopping.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Yes. I eat 45% carbs, weigh 123 lbs, 20% BF and can run 9 miles in 85 mins without stopping.

Thank you for this - it's about time people realised they can have a balanced diet (no carb-cutting) and be fit!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Thank you for this - it's about time people realised they can have a balanced diet (no carb-cutting) and be fit!

Cutting out carbs is totally baffling to me. They are great!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The whole cutting out carbs thing is a fallacy.

There are parts of it that are true, but these have been used to draw the wrong conclusion.

Carbs should normally make up the largest proportion of your calorie intake.
  • m0ns00n
    m0ns00n Posts: 11
    Options
    Getting fit and losing weight are two different things!

I'd consider 'fit' as having good strength, stamina and endurance. In order to do this you'd need to combine strength training and cardio exercise, which means you will NEED carbs.

As salxtal has commented, you are probably looking for a more defined body, rather than to lose weight. At 5' 8" and 144lbs you already fall in to the ideal body weight for a female. I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to lose 15lbs.

If I were you, I'd focus on getting a leaner looking body (e.g. check your progress by measuring your waist etc, rather than weighing yourself on scales)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am a runner...I run about 35 miles per week...I need carbs! I have my ratio set at 50%....I am down 21lbs, 4 from my goal weight...

I need carbs, if I don't have enough I feel tired and sluggish and just crappy...

Do what feels right for your body and don't worry what others say or think...each person is unique.
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I haven't cut down on carbs at all, and since I've started MFP and am doing a lot of exercise, I need the carbs even more! According to MFP I'm on around 45% carbs at the moment. I'm not overweight either according to BMI but I have lots of flab I'm trying to lose!
  • jasity
    jasity Posts: 6
    Options
    You can have carbs just the good ones not the bad ones!
  • xjlishey1
    xjlishey1 Posts: 286
    Options
    Getting fit and losing weight are two different things!

I'd consider 'fit' as having good strength, stamina and endurance. In order to do this you'd need to combine strength training and cardio exercise, which means you will NEED carbs.

As salxtal has commented, you are probably looking for a more defined body, rather than to lose weight. At 5' 8" and 144lbs you already fall in to the ideal body weight for a female. I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to lose 15lbs.

If I were you, I'd focus on getting a leaner looking body (e.g. check your progress by measuring your waist etc, rather than weighing yourself on scales)

YOU TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have had carbs since i started. My biggest problem was portion control of the carbs. Once i started controlling portion it got easier. I have done the low carb/no carb diet before, loose fifty pounds and then put it back on it a carb fueled binge....lol
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories, carbs have nothing to do with it. I did the low carb thing once. I love Italian, Mexican and bread, and you have to pretty much give those up if you count carbs, so I couldn't sustain it long term. If I have to give up the things I love this 'lifestyle change' won't last.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have been told and have experienced that cutting carb and sugar helps more then anything else. Saying that, I'm not going on a "carb free/sugar free diet" either, I just try cut them down. I really dislike the mentality that "all or nothing" diets have because it doesn't teach people how to eat a balanced diet once they stop. What I do is instead of pasta, I eat spaghetti squash, I no longer have a dinner roll, If I'm having potatoes, I take half as much as I normally would. Its not about giving up foods you love, its finding the right combo that works for you.

Just saying :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories, carbs have nothing to do with it. I did the low carb thing once. I love Italian, Mexican and bread, and you have to pretty much give those up if you count carbs, so I couldn't sustain it long term. If I have to give up the things I love this 'lifestyle change' won't last.
    Carbs have 4 calories for everyone gram, so yes it does have something to do with it. Anyway, people shouldn't be basing any off the macros on %'s. Use grams per pound of lean body mass. You're body doesn't recognize %'s, so don't use them.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, my carbs range in the 45-55% range depending on the day usually 50-55%.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    -25 lbs and i normally always go over carbs!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fuel for the body's engine! The body needs carbs to perform at it's peak. It certainly is smart to get carbs from good sources like vegetables and whole grains, but carbs are great! You won't find any pro/eleite athletes who go low carb, shoot, they carbo load for races. I was at 60% carbs for years and did very well though I have recently cut back to 40/45%. But for me that decision was more about increasing protein since I am an older male and need the additional protein. I just figured my daily protein need in grams then converted that to a percentage of my typical day since MFP uses % and the rest fell into place.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You can have carbs just the good ones not the bad ones!

They all turn to glucose for energy anyway.

Fit & losing weight are totally different.

When losing weight a cal deficit is required & protein & fast are more important than carbs, hence a reduction will usually be required. This doesn't mean down to 30g per day or whatever though.

For fitness & performance, more carbs are required in general but it's different for everyone.
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I eat Carbs everyday, cant cut them out not now not ever lol:laugh:

:heart: Carbs :bigsmile:

Ps: Open Dairy

Edited to add: lots of pics in my profile, if you cant see them, add me, but I think you should be able to see them...
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot to all of you. Doesn't seem as hopeless now lol. Some days I have no problems sticking to about 30% carbs, other days I want to eat like 50%.

As for the losing weight/getting fit question, I know that they are totally different. What I want is to build some more muscle and lose the flab I have. I did a body composition test about a month and a half ago, and I'm at 25% body fat. Would love to drop down to about 19-20% and I hope that will be possible while not reducing carbs every day :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!