Carbs?

Options
My godmother recently went on a no carb diet and has lost 14 lbs. I tried it and felt hungry all day. You are allowed to eat meats and cheese, nothing with carbs. Well guess what, i couldn't do it. I felt as if I needed to eat a loaf of bread, I grabbed a Cliff bar. She told me that carbs prevent your body from burning fat. I have lost 16 Lbs since hitting the gym, and 2 more since starting this "program." I seem to have hit a snag or something because I go to the gym 5 times a week and can't seem to loose anything. I will admit, however; that my diet has slightly changed. Help?

Replies

• MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest opening up your food and exercise diary? Hard to say what might be the problem without knowing what you are up to. I did the gym thing for 3 months and only lost 7 lbs. I gained 3lbs of muscle, but the 2 week vacation over Christmas put it all back on. I started MFP in Jan and have lost 24.5 lbs and lots of inches. Still working out, but eating right made the huge difference for me. :)
    I've don the low carb/ no carb diets before and they work to lose, but they are hard and can't be maintained over the long haul and the weight comes back with interest. I reccommend eating complex carbs and pairing them with lean proteins, and being smart about the fun stuff. Balance is a beautiful thing. The best diet is the one you can do forever. Good luck.
  • srmchargue
    srmchargue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First of all there are no NO CARB diets. Cheese has carbs in it as does all diary. MountainMia is right though without knowing what you're eating it's hard to make suggestions on how to procede. I will say starting a low carb diet like any diet takes time, and with it comes what's known as Carb Flu, what it sounds like you're experiencing but once you get over that hump, low-carb dieting can be great, but don't try to take shortcuts and eat nothing but meat so you can pig out on bread later because it will only bite you in the *kitten* later. Learn portion control, learn what a good carb and a bad carb looks like, and stay away from anything white (flour, sugar) for the first 2 weeks. Pick green veggies over other colors. Yes you can eat all the meat and fat you want, but lean protein fills you up as much as high fat protein does. Also Net carbs is Carbs - Fiber, So get as much fiber in as you can and DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Good luck.

BTW Atkins (one of the lowest carb diets out there) ratios of Fat-Protein-Carb is 65-30-5. This should be plugged into your food diary (ignore Calories) so you can track how well you're sticking to it.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    She told me that carbs prevent your body from burning fat

Complete and utter nonsense. As long as you have a caloric deficit, you will burn fat.

There's absolutely no need to go low carb.
  • srmchargue
    srmchargue Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Complete and utter nonsense. As long as you have a caloric deficit, you will burn fat.

So you're suggesting that if I eat low-carb and am never calorie deficit I won't loose weight? Utter nonsense right back at you.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

So you're suggesting that if I eat low-carb and am never calorie deficit I won't loose weight? Utter nonsense right back at you.
    thats not what he said o.O
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

You'll lose some water weight, but that's it.

Low carb can be an effective way to create a caloric deficit (for those that respond well to it), but the mechanism is the same. Thermodynamics isn't just a good idea, it's the law.
  • mkam1980
    mkam1980 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Low carb can be an effective way to create a caloric deficit (for those that respond well to it)

Agreed. Low carb makes me cranky and hungry 24/7. My body is happiest when it has a good mix of protein and carbs. Some people respond very well to low carb but not everyone. Like everything in weight loss, there is no blanket rule. What works for one will not necessarily work for another.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks to all that replied!!!! I really appreciate it. Yes, I tried it and then felt the urge to eat bread. The diet that I am on is low fat meats, fruits, vegetables, and no junk food whatsoever. the low carb diet did not work for me, I was starving the entire day. When I eat a bit of everything (healthy wise), I stay full longer, and eat less. I also stay under my calorie goal. Again thanks to you guys who replied and gave advice. I hope to get over this hump soon and wish luck to each and everyone of you!!!!
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    I had this same reaction
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    i dont know why i thought of this - but when i moved in with my girlfriend after high school, she lost her job soon after so we didnt have as much money for food and were just living off my paychecks...
    i worked at a grocery store at the time and had a friend in the bakery, she would save me donuts and bagels that would have gotten thrown away at the end of the day.. so for two months or so i lived on a bagel for breakfast, up to 4 donuts for lunch, and ramen for dinner >.> if carbs were the devil and stopped weight loss, i would have been in trouble, but i lost 20 pounds. not saying it was the healthiest, just that deficit is more important than what youre eating.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ummm, carbs are not the enemy, I started losing eating a surplus of 200-250 carbs, I now average around 150 carbs because I eat better foods, less restaurant foods for sure, but carbs aren't bad, you just want to eat the more complex carbs like from whole grains, veggies, and fruits, drink plenty water and you're golden. protein is awesome, so stick with your meats/dairy/beans/nuts
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have found the low-carb diet to be a godsend. 60 lbs down in exactly 4 months, and that's including a bad February where I had 2 massive cheat days.

In the past when I've done low cal/low fat diets, I've been able to lose, but felt miserable. Low carb for me has meant rapid weight loss, and an amazing sense of victory, because I feel I could do this forever. I urge anyone who's curious to try it for a month. The keto group on reddit is where I hang out; it's a great resource/support group.

I realize it may not be for everyone, but if your scale is stuck and you're looking for a way to make a breakthrough, why not try it?
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    i dont know why i thought of this - but when i moved in with my girlfriend after high school, she lost her job soon after so we didnt have as much money for food and were just living off my paychecks...
    i worked at a grocery store at the time and had a friend in the bakery, she would save me donuts and bagels that would have gotten thrown away at the end of the day.. so for two months or so i lived on a bagel for breakfast, up to 4 donuts for lunch, and ramen for dinner >.> if carbs were the devil and stopped weight loss, i would have been in trouble, but i lost 20 pounds. not saying it was the healthiest, just that deficit is more important than what youre eating.

I disagree, its the opposite. What you eat is way more important than staying under. That's very unhealthy and you probably lost muscle.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

I disagree, its the opposite. What you eat is way more important than staying under. That's very unhealthy and you probably lost muscle.
    i do believe i said it wasnt healthy - it wasnt exactly the way i wanted to eat. i probably did lose muscle along with fat, but it doesnt change the fact that carbs didnt stop my weight loss. you cant deny i lost 20 pounds in 2 months eating nothing but carbs.
    obviously its healthier to eat a more balanced diet in the long run...but carbs are not the devil, they need to be included in a balanced diet
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have added starchy carbs in the form of white and sweet potatoes and bananas back in to my diet and I feel
    much better than I did without them.

I now include a potato with dinner and have a banana afterwards as a snack and I no longer get the night time munchies.
    I feel very satisfied after dinner.

I'm sleeping better and have finally resumed my exercise program.

Low carb worked initially for me ... and then it didn't.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    what people don't understand is that your body/brain needs carbs to function. it's a fact people. just like you also need fats to function!
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What do you mean function? Eating zero carbs would be very hard to do, and not recommended Most LCHF diets don't aim for zero, more like 20-100g/day. I eat about 25g a day and function better than ever.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    So you're suggesting that if I eat low-carb and am never calorie deficit I won't loose weight?

If you can lose fat stores on a calorie surplus, I would like to meet you, because you are some kinda wizard!

:huh:
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i eat a high carb diet. look at me. do i look fat? carbs are your friends. but healthy wholegrain carbs