Running: Treadmill vs Outside

Options
2»

Replies

• samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I prefer running outside when the weather is sunny. This means I am usually either hibernating during winter or using a treadmill as an alternative. Treadmills are boring >_<
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I hate treadmills they actually scare me. Unfortunatly winter finally decided to arrive in the North east and its been cold and snowy so I haven't been able to run outside in over a week. I'm doing the couch to 5K and am afraid I'll have to go back a week by the time I get outside again.
  • Schmiegelette
    Schmiegelette Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to run on the treadmill, but that has alot to do with having two preschoolers so I don't have the luxury of leaving them to go for a run. On a side note, I remember reading once (maybe Runners World) that you can simulate the air resistance running outside gives by putting the treadmill on a slight grade, I can't remember if it's 0.5% or 1% though.
  • elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere that if you keep the treadmill on 0% incline, it's actually slightly downhill - to better simulate running on a flat road up your incline to 1%. That's what I've been doing lately and it definitely feels more like road running!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I burn way more calories when I run outside versus the same distance/time on the treadmill...the treadmill helped me to be able to run outside...I do find it easier on the treadmill because it's forcing me to move my legs at a certain pace and I do find my stride is different versus outside running. I prefer to run outside though...it's more fun and I like the open air.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I find that I cannot run on the treadmill without holding on. Why is that?

I couldn't either when I first started, but have no problem now....I would imagine it takes some core strength to be able to balance yourself. Keep going at it, you'll be able to do it before you know it!!!
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is designed to provide support for your feet. When you run outside, especially on concrete, there is much more force applied on your legs.

Learn to run on the balls of your feet.