BMR?????????

Options
Why does everyone say u shouldn't eat less then your BMR (how many calories you burn just to stay alive)?? Mine is 1830 & Mfp had it set WHY below this.. I have moved mine to 1600, just because I stalled out... I only have it set to lose 1.5 a week... JUST wondering.. I liked it better before I read the forms.. LOL:laugh:

Replies

• Anoetos65
    Options
    Not sure...It probably has to do with having enough calories to maintain basic bodily function. Extended failure to do so could compromise some essential functions (think: kidneys, heart, brain, blood sugar/insulin balance)...At least that's what I think about.

That said, short term fasting or keeping your intake significantly below your BMR shouldn't do any lasting damage.

Confession: I eat about 1200 - 1500 calories a day. The tables say my BMR is like 2300. I seem to be fine...I don't intend to do this when I get into maintenance, of course.
  • RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs of fat lost a week is a *LOT* and may even be unrealistic unless you are spending 1 to 2 hours per day in the gym and including a balance diet with less calories. You may initially see the scale move at a greater loss however this is usually due to a loss of water and change in sodium levels. MFP calculates your daily goals based off the values you enter, however none of those values necessarily account for BMR. If you know your BMR, it is the most important number you have IMO, and I personally adjust my MFP daily goal around several things - #1 being BMR, #2 being how hungry I feel after several days of trying a new setting.

In my experience, your BMR is the most important thing; if you are eating less than your BMR you may really be hurting your body. BMR is the number of calories you burn just to lay in bed completely motionless over 24 hours. If you eat less than that, your body will think you are starving. It will then hold onto unnecessary fat and possibly cannibalize muscle to ensure your survival. This is serious stuff.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If you eat under your BMR for too long your body will begin to compensate and lower the work it does... which in turn will lower your metabolism. It will eat away at muscle instead of fat.

Eating too low doesn't help you lose weight any quicker.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hey Georgia , I messages you what I think .