Getting Started from Ohio

Options
Hi all. I am 47 years old, maried with two adopted children and one grandchild. My daughter graduates from high school at the end of May and is a debutante for a cotillion ball on June 10. I am motivated to loose some weight (hopefully 25 lbs.) and get fit for these events.

I hope to find support and friendships on this site.

Thanks,
Chosentwo (meaning I chose my two children)

Replies

• tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Also coming from northeast Ohio, I've been here for 6 weeks and have found a great environment for encouragement and positivity. Everyone has been great. Please feel free to add me if you're looking to make a few friends.
  • mattjolsen
    Options
    Hello, and best of luck to you! Some lessons that are good to learn now (so you don't waste your time, energy and motivation):

- You can't spot reduce fat. Fat goes away from a calorie deficit. Burn more than you take in!

- Don't JUST focus on your weight loss goal. Look at your overall body composition. Muscle weighs more than fat so if you're doing any weight training and gaining muscle, your weight loss will be slower. In fact, I've seen people not lose a pound, but lose a ton of fat and get incredibly fit.

- Don't diet. Change your lifestyle. If you just diet, you'll gain your weight back. Change your lifestyle and your way of thinking and you'll never look back.

- Focus on your health. To tack onto the above, crash diets are bad for you and slow your metabolism. You'll gain your weight back and then some. Focus on being healthy and active and not only will you meet your goals, you'll feel better, and set a great example for your children.

Cheers!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you! I'm in the SW corner of Ohio these days :)

My tip - measure everything now - waist, hips, chest, a particular spot on your thighs/calf/arm... so you have a reference point. Sometimes when the scale moves slowly, the change in inches is what keeps you going!
  • loreenkoby
    Options
    hello! I'm in Cleveland, 49 and on day 3!