World's worst runner / C25K

Options

Replies

• SandersWifey
    Options
    Repeat the week. Do it 3 times over if you need to. I have heard/read from plenty of people that redid weeks again and again until they were comfortable to move on. Also, like other posters have said, check your shoes and your form.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Definitely check your shoes. Go to a running store for that as well. Also, be certain it's not a concentration issue. Sometimes it is as much mental ability as physical. Shin splints are the worst though and don't ignore them. Ibuprofen for pain and icing the shin may help alleviate it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    I am on my second round of C25k. Right now I am W6D1. The advice I can give is to take it slow and if you need to take it even slower. The goal is to get fit enough to run the 30 minutes straight. As UGLY as you might think it was, it is beautiful that you are out there getting it done. My second time through it I can see that I have made tremendous progress. If you can do one 25 minute run, you sure can do 3 25 minute runs. Most of it is mental. When my "self-talk" is good I can get through the runs much better. When I am feeling bad and negative about it it is very hard to finish. I would say trust the program because it works. I ran my first 3.1 miles on New Years Day 2012.
  • brandiclemmer
    brandiclemmer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First, you arent the worlds worst runner LOL.. you are just getting started and its hard... are you running on a treadmill? Those are hard on your legs.. maybe try using the elipticle for 30 min and see if you can do that... its easier on the legs (knees and shins), Shoes are a big part also.

If you have access to a track with the bouncy material (cant think of the correct name) thats the best for you. Running on sidewalks is also bad for you. If you are running outside run in the street (safely of course). The street has more give.

You CAN do this! Just remember you are doing it.. not sitting on the couch, not making excuses ... actually getting up every day and doing something!
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about having to repeat weeks. The program actuals says some people will need to, and to only move forward when you are ready. When I do it, it takes twice as long because I will repeat almost every week at least once. :)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    congrats on sticking to the program! week 6 is *killer*. i was on week 6 for about 8 weeks. instead of jumping from 8 minutes to 20, i pushed for 10 minutes. then 13 minutes. then 15 minutes. then 17 minutes. then 20 minutes. i took as long as i needed to do this - it might have taken longer than 8 weeks to get there - i really don't remember for certain, but i took my sweet time.

the frustration of not hitting the 20 minute mark was really getting to me, so i just redid the plan to fit my needs. i finished the program (it took me waaaay longer than 9 weeks!), have two 5k's under my belt, can run 4 miles non-stop and am training to up my 5k time to 32 minutes or less now. you can *totally* do this - just stay the course. best of luck to you!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Another idea would be to go to the time you're comfortable, say if you're not ok with 20, drop to 15 for a week, and then add say 2-3 min each run until you build up your endurance. I agree with some of the other posters, that's a big jump! I actually bought the book The Complete Idiots Guide to Running and it has a better, easier slide for endurance, maybe check it out of your library or look at it in the store?
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Now, you're scaring me! I'm only on week 4, but I've already registered for races on March 31st and April 7th. You're still relatively young, and I would suggest you just concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other to get your time in. At least, that's what I did when I was younger. I hope it still works for an older me. Don't give in or give up!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You're not the world's worst runner. You should be proud you got that far.

My health was so bad and I've been so sedintary, I'm actually working up to do the C25K. I ran 5 one minute intervals on Monday and it sucked.

You'll get there - push through. Consider going to a specialized shoe store and having your gait analyzed.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Well, remember, you are doing something that many people won't even attempt. That alone is huge. And I'm sure those people you see running on the streets oh-so-gracefully and seem like they can go on for days had many bad atempts before they found their groove. It was brutal for me to get through, but I just focused on my breathing and music and went for it. I kept reminding myself of the old me who said she couldn't do it and I pushed forward. My pace was very slow too. I didn't repeat the weeks, but there's nothing saying you can't repeat either. I've had a few friends that have had to repeat a week or so before they made it. Listen to your body and ease up when needed.

It could be worse, you could look like one of these guys while running :flowerforyou: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGojEyYBmwc&sns=fb
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5, and have the 3rd day left--the dreaded 20 minute run. Are your legs really tight? If so, try getting a foam roller- you can get them at target in the isle where the yoga and workout things are, or at ****s. At ****s they have the different types---soft, medium, hard, etc...The good thing about the roller is that it is small enough to fit in any problem area and you can work the soreness out yourself. The bad thing, while doing it, it definitely is NOT pleasurable. But I promise it really does help. I pampered myself on Tuesday and got a massage. I knew I was tight, but definitely didn't realize some areas until then. One area I am having trouble in this week is my Achilles on my right foot. Before it was shin splints. If you are not a runner, and have never been, you have to remember that you are working parts of your body that haven't been worked a lot, or are just out of it. Keep it up, remember to stretch, use ice and heat, and seriously, try the foam roller.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5, and have the 3rd day left--the dreaded 20 minute run. Are your legs really tight? If so, try getting a foam roller- you can get them at target in the isle where the yoga and workout things are, or at ****s. At ****s they have the different types---soft, medium, hard, etc...The good thing about the roller is that it is small enough to fit in any problem area and you can work the soreness out yourself. The bad thing, while doing it, it definitely is NOT pleasurable. But I promise it really does help. I pampered myself on Tuesday and got a massage. I knew I was tight, but definitely didn't realize some areas until then. One area I am having trouble in this week is my Achilles on my right foot. Before it was shin splints. If you are not a runner, and have never been, you have to remember that you are working parts of your body that haven't been worked a lot, or are just out of it. Keep it up, remember to stretch, use ice and heat, and seriously, try the foam roller.

Oh and there is no need to think you are the worlds worst. Remember, you are out there doing it, while there are people sitting on their couch at home wishing they were out doing what you're doing!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    First and foremost don't tie yourself to a plan that's intended to be a "one size fits all", everyone is different and progresses at their own pace.

Could you provide more details as to the stretching you're doing? Are you doing a core workout to support your running (weak glutes may contribute to your sore hips)?

If your feet hurt I'd definitely look into the shoes. Do you have a running specialty store close by? You don't need to buy the most expensive shoes on the rack but having the right kind (stability, cushioning or motion control) makes a difference.

Here's a link to runnersworld.com that can help you determine what foot type you have: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-326-7152-0,00.html

How fast are you running? It sounds like you may be running in too high a zone, don't worry about slowing down - in fact it's the long slow runs that ultimately build endurance. If you don't have a heart rate monitor I'd strongly suggest getting one - it will help you dial in your sweet spot. I started running again in my 50s, trust me when I say you should progress at your own pace.
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It gets easier! I really struggled with the 20 min run, but didnt struggle so much with the first 25 min run. Yes i was out of breath and done in at the end of the 25 mins, and my first km was 1 min faster then my last.

You are doing great! And if you need to redo a week or a day just do so :) Also make sure you dont overtrain. When i think i am overtraining, i check my heartrate first thing in the morning on the day after running and then again on the day i am supposed to be running. On the last day it should be lower. If not it is an indicator that you are overtraining and you would benefit from an extra days rest.

Also i noticed that i found it easier to progress when i upped the amount of protein in my diet to support my muscles.
  • VWbaker
    VWbaker Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm actually really glad you posted this. I usually do the elliptical, but the last few weeks I have been thinking about perhaps starting a running program like C25K. Of course I'll need proper shoes, and I'm gonna ask my trainer to help me with my form, but still, when I looked at the regimen they have planned, I kinda freak out. You are actually doing it, so thats fantastic, but I was wondering what kind of traps I could fall into, problems I could have.

Does anyone use any kind of tool to tell how fast they are running? I'm sure an HRM is sufficient, but I'm curious to know if there are other, better tools.

I've JUST started C25K , my 2nd run is today. I found quite a few apps for my Android phone that work with the program. I used the RunDouble app and really was impressed. You can play your own music and a verbal prompt tells you when to switch from walking to running and even when you've reached the 1/2 way point.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks so much for all the positive feedback & good information. You're all really nice - :smile:

I am doing the program on a treadmill - maybe that is harder on my joints?. I'm in New England, so my plan was to complete the program this winter indoors so I could move outside in the spring. I have new, Nike running shoes - they retailed for $75. They're nice & light, with a flexible sole. I might try to go to a specialty store as so many of you have advised. I try really hard not to heel-strike. I'm running at 6 MPH. (that ugly day I went down to 5MPH at times). I warm up on the elliptical for 10, lightly stretch, then go to treadmill for the C25K which includes a 5 minute warmup and cool down. Afterwards, I do a very thorough stretch routine...runners stretches, quads, calves, feet, figure fours for my hips, spine. I do strength training at least 2 days a week, including core. I should do core every day, but....I'm not. I'll try!

I do think my head is messing with me. To the poster who said some days you can run 20 and the next 5 seems hard - I soooo agree with you. I may need to adjust my defeatest attitude but I want to progress without pain. I may repeat runs until I feel ready to move on. But I don't want to be a C25K dropout. And please don't let me scare anyone off...!!! I am determined to figure out a way to make this work for me....I'm going to read some of these links, etc. too.

Thanks so much for the support!!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Just keep repeating weeks until it's no longer a struggle. And you will get there!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything already posted.

I'm half way through Week 7. I have good days and I have bad days. Week 5 Day 3 was a piece of cake for me, I NAILED it! However Week 6 Day 1 was terrible. I just couldnt find my groove and the entire run sucked.

Week 6 Day 3 was another amazing run, however last night I did Week 7 Day 2 and again a miserable run. I ended up walking several times either to catch my breath or stretch out a clenched calf.

We have good days and bad days. Don't doubt the program. IT WORKS!
    Motivate yourself by signing up for a 5k run, it will give you a goal to aim for and the motivation will definitely help. Run with a friend, or your dog. Slow down and enjoy the feel of sweat dripping off your body - SWEAT IS FAT CRYING!!!! No matter how slow you are running, you are moving faster than someone still on the couch!!!

Whatever you do, don't quit, Keep moving, just slow down some, get shoes, get tunes, find what works for you.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Next up, if you've had a tough week, repeat it. You're not breaking the law if you don't follow C25K to the letter, and in fact some of the most successful C25 graduates have had to do this. I'd repeat the 20-minute week if I were you, then atack teh 25 minutes afresh once you've restored your confidence.

This...

I repeated Weeks 3 (twice) and Week 6 (three times). Since then I have run a ton of races including a Half IronMan last year. This year I will be doing a Full IronMan (2.4 Mile Swim, 112 Mile Bike & 26.2 Mile Run) thanks in large part to C25K and making sure to take is slow with a goal to graduate at some point.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I'm running at 6 MPH. (that ugly day I went down to 5MPH at times).

Oh wow... really, try slowing down.

We run on treadmills too since Wisconsin weather isnt great for running in winter. My walk is at 2.5 and my run is 3.8. My husband runs at 4.3

Dont think about how fast you gotta go. Speed is not important the first time through the program. I'm on a C25K forum and many graduates who now run 5ks, 10ks and 1/2 marathons will constantly tell people SLOW DOWN.

One guy even commented that during a 5k race he was PASSED by a couple gray haired ladies that were power walking! LOL

These are seasoned runners that will tell you, if you are struggling, slow down. And if you have to walk for a few moments to catch your breath, go ahead. This program isnt written in stone, its a guideline to follow to get you to running 5k. You can do it!!