Fitness or Weight?

Options
psuLemon
psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
Which is more important to you? A specific number on the scale or a body that is defined and burns a ton of calories? Which one are you and why? I am merely intrigued as it's hard for me to understand why there are so many people on here who eat 1200 calories and are afraid of eating more or their exercise calories. So whats more important?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    At first it was fitness, because I didn't think I *could* lose weight, since every attempt was either painful or a failure.

Then when I did start to lose, it was fun and motivating to watch the number drop.

Now it's about fitness again because, after gaining weight but getting smaller and tighter, I see how meaningless the number on the scale is.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    When I started out last year it was weight, now it is fitness. Having said that, I do still want to lose a little more weight ;)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Fitness of course. Weight, on its own, is nearly meaningless.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Health, rather than fitness. I don't want a defined, toned body, lots of muscle or the ability to run for miles. I do want to be a healthy weight, be eating well (for me) and be able to pass that lifestyle on to any future children to start them off right.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Fitness > Weight :)
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Right now it's weight. Once I'm down to my goal I'll focus more on fitness and health but right now I just want to be smaller.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Fitness...the same number on the scale can look completely different on different people
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Fitness, def. Got the weight thing down.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I can't have both? ;) I would love to be happy with what i see on the scale as well as what I see the mirror!
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    fitness first, weight is a nice benefit, I've not much to lose and some of the weight i'd like to see gone if i went by the scale only would be lean muscle and well i really need that at the moment, once this years big fitness goal is accomplished in september I'll look at the weight again properly
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Fitness. Health. Functional strength.

I have never been overweight though, so yeah, I eat 2000+ calories daily but I think I'm in the minority here. :smile:
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Its about both, I want to see my goal number on the scale & I want to get fit doing it (& continue so afterwards). =)
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    Weight then fitness.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Fitness by far. If you eat and train to be fit the BF% and scale will work themselves out over time.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    At first I had this idea of 120 lbs in my head. And now...the weight loss is just kind of a side effect of what I'm trying to achieve. I want to be considered an athlete. I am a runner, but not a great one (it took me around 2:35 to finish my 2nd half marathon....not horrible, but not great), and I want people to see me and think "she must be an athlete." I'd like to become a better runner and lower my body fat % to around 18%, so if I lose another 30 lbs doing that, awesome, if I only lose 10 lbs doing that, that's fine with me too. I just wanna be healthy and fit!
  • erilynbmore
    erilynbmore Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I started it was weight. Now it's fitness.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Which is more important to you? A specific number on the scale or a body that is defined and burns a ton of calories? Which one are you and why? I am merely intrigued as it's hard for me to understand why there are so many people on here who eat 1200 calories and are afraid of eating more or their exercise calories. So whats more important?

Fitness, weight loss will come as you become more and more fit.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    This has ALWAYS been about HEALTH for me. If I had been really concerned about a number on the scale (or on the measuring tape, for that matter), I wouldn't have been nearly as successful.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    For me, in the beginning it was about 75% weight and 25% fitness. As the weight came off, the scales tipped more towards fitness.

Now, that I've hit my goal weight, the weight is not really an issue and its all about toning and fitness for me.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Weight. When I get down to a healthy weight, then I'll focus on the fitness. I'm actually really excited about that.