? For ppl who work full time

Options
How do you stay on track on the weekend? I am finding this sooo hard!! I work 5 days a week 40 hours and when Im at work its so easy for me to stay on track with my walking (I walk on both my 15min breaks and than for 30mins on my hour lunch break) and pretty easy to stay on track with food (except those dreaded birthday parties lol) Its the weekend that is getting me ugh any suggestions?

Replies

• dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I do a long run on Saturday so that gives me some extra calories to play with. :) I also will eat out a lot but I just try to look up all nutrition information before I leave so I know what to order and what to stay away from.

I think it's okay to give yourself a day off every now and then and eat what you want (within reason) and then get back on track the next day.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I treat it like I would a work day, except I workout earlier. I'll hit the gym in the morning and come back to a DVD or walk the pups. And same with my food, though Sunday's I indulge at my mom's.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I eat treats, I just make sure they are within my calories. I find it easier since I have more time to figure out something good to eat. I split my exercise up, some when I wake up, some before bed and some mid-day if I have time.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I also do longer workouts on both days, a long run on one and either biking or swimming (or both) on the other so I have more calories those days.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I get my workouts done first thing. On Saturday mornings I get up, eat breakfast, and hit the running trail and get it out of the way. Then I'm done for the day and can do whatever it is we've got going on (usually tee-ball games or practice, plans with friends, kids birthday parties, etc). On Sundays we make it like a family outing. My boyfriend, son and I go to breakfast, we go to church, then go to the gym and my son gets to play in the child activity center at the gym. Or we'll go to a park somewhere and do outdoorsy stuff. We like to make exercise a part of our regular family life!

For me it's harder to stay on track diet-wise on the weekends because we're always out and about doing stuff. The MFP app on my phone has helped a lot with that.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    I plan out my weekends otherwise they go straight down the tube! I also exercise a little longer on the weekends so I have more calories to burn.

For me the hard part is remember to drink water on the weekends because I'm not at my desk. So now I load up the car with water bottles on Saturday morning and keep one going at all times!!!! It means I'm constantly looking for a bathroom but its easier to get my water in that way!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I try to get in my workout first thing in the morning on the weekends, otherwise I keep putting it off and putting it off and usually skip it. Not overeating is often a problem even with the exercise, so I've started undereating a couple of weekdays each week to even it out.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I treat Saturday and Sunday like any other day. It's nice because instead of rushing home to make dinner and then rushing to the "Y" to do my workout after a full day at work, I am much more relaxed and tend to work out longer. I pretty much keep to the same diet but may have a cocktail or two. It's a habit now.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I use weekends as a time to shake up the routine and do things that I don't normally have time for during the week. That might be trying a new recipe or workout DVD, or even going for long hike.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You have a georgeous little boy!
    Make happy times with him that don't revolve around food. Little ones are only small once -- I say make the most of him. I tell my niece who has a four year old daughter the same thing.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me, too. My boyfriend is in a band, so his shows don't help either. Sometimes we don't get home until 4AM and you can imagine that, yes, there is some drinking and possibly some late night snacking or grabbing something on the road after a show. Then there's wine expos, basketball games to watch, nice dinners to go to (we mostly eat local and avoid chains so not a lot of "looking it up beforehand" to be done) and then sometimes it's just that I don't feel like doing anything. I want a break.

It's really hard and I, too, am working on being more disciplined since I think that's really what it boils down to. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I agree, the weekends are a bit tougher.

Not only do I not exercise on the weekends, I don't eat at regular intervals like I do during the week.
    I do try to track everything, even if I often times end up comsuming a bit more on the weekends-
    always best to be honest and accountable.

When it comes to the parties, I try to eat something healthy before going out and when possible,
    bring a dish of my own that I know is "safe". I will also promise myself not to eat any empty carbs
    at the party (chips, pretzels, cakes, etc) because if I start, it's almost impossible to stop!

Just try to remain focused on your ultimate goal!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have my kids every other weekend, and it's hard to stay on track. But, I just track all my food, and it keeps me in check. I hate it though. But, I do it. Fortunately, sometimes, I can get them to go on a bike ride or something with me. i can't totally workout, but a casual bike ride they will do. Or, we can ride our bikes down to the beach and then play frisbee for a while or something. If I am creative, i can always come up with a way to be active so that will give me more calories to play with.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i've always tended to eat less at weekends, no routine so i use to forget to eat lunch so week days are better for me, i may be a bit 'unique' though ;-)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Stick to a schedule. It is much easier on the weekend if you already know what you are planning to eat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I just take those two days off. They are my rest days from exercise and I'm not strict about watching my calories. I don't go completely crazy but I don't stress if we go out to a restaurant.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I normally workout twice as hard on Saturday- morning/evening workout, so I can splurge a little on my foods and stuff. Then on Sundays I eat light again and DON'T exercise- thats my rest day each week.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I love weekends, I work out like crazy so that I can eat whatever I want, and that is usually pizza. Actually during the week I work full time plus a part time job at the gym a couple of days a week. Weekends are the best because my time isn't as limited as it is during the week.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of this journey I would plan my meals out ahead of time. Then I would set my timer on the stove to go off when it was time for my snack and meals. Sounds so petty but it worked for me in the beginning.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get up early, walk for 40-50 min then have breakfast and get ready for work.

Weekends are nicer because I don't get up as early, have breakfast, walk an hour, snack, do some weights or Pilates and that's it.