My knee is popping

Options
I noticed when I was working out that every time i went to squats my left knee was popping. It doesnt hurt but I was wondering if this happened to anybody else when they first started working out.

Replies

• ptrad
    ptrad Posts: 22
    Options
    You probably have a muscular imbalance which is causing the patella/knee cap to pull to one side (Iateral/outside of the knee). God designed the patella to ride through an anatomical groove in the femur, the thigh bone. Women are predisposed to this due to our wider hips and this is also common in runners and other sports which demand strong thigh contractions. See a physical therapist who can evaluate and prescribe exercises to strengthen this area and do not go into a full squat. This is my field of expertise, but I can not eval over the internet. Best! Paula, LATC
  • shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    You probably have a muscular imbalance which is causing the patella/knee cap to pull to one side (Iateral/outside of the knee). God designed the patella to ride through an anatomical groove in the femur, the thigh bone. Women are predisposed to this due to our wider hips and this is also common in runners and other sports which demand strong thigh contractions. See a physical therapist who can evaluate and prescribe exercises to strengthen this area and do not go into a full squat. This is my field of expertise, but I can not eval over the internet. Best! Paula, LATC

Since you seem to know a lot about knees I have a question for you. My knees don't pop necessarily they make more of a grinding sound even when I walk up steps. Is this cause for concern?
  • samantha115
    samantha115 Posts: 371
    Options

Since you seem to know a lot about knees I have a question for you. My knees don't pop necessarily they make more of a grinding sound even when I walk up steps. Is this cause for concern?

Mine do this too. Sometimes it sounds loud enough for someone walking beside me to hear it.