Any law grads taking the bar in the summer? HOW AM I SUPPOS

Options
All law students know that you have to put in (or so they say) 8-10 hours a day studying for the bar from the time you graduate until the bar (this year July 25, 26, 27). I plan on passing the first time. I also plan on losing about 5lbs during this time. I know I will not be able to work out often. It's going to be mainly sitting and studying WHICH SUCKS.

Just wondering if anyone out there has taken the bar and how they handled it or if anyone plans on taking it this summer and how you plan on losing weight when we have like no time.

Thanks!

Replies

• esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You do spend a lot of time studying for the bar. But I treated it like a full time job.
    I was up at 7:00 to 8:00 AM and started studying. I would take a small 5 min break when i felt I needed it.
    Then I would have a 30 min to hour lunch.
    I would stop working around 5 or 6 PM.

I found going to exercise before I studied or after I studied (before dinner) was the best way to approach it.
    Some of my friends would take a 2 hour lunch and eat and exercise. That would give them a boost of energy.

I think its important to fit it into your schedule. It helps you work off the stress of the day and gets you up and moving.

Good luck with the Bar. It sucks. It really really really really really sucks.

what State are you sitting for? I did California back in 09. Not fun at all.

Ohhh..and the day before STOP STUDYING. If you don't know it by 5PM the night before the bar you aren't going to know it. So just take an entire day or at least entire night off and relax.

GOOD LUCK!
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    can you read through some of the books while on a stationary bike or something? multitasking at its best! haha im not a law student, but i have done this some with my school books anyway.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ill be at the bar all summer...does that help?
  • BostonBee
    BostonBee Posts: 13
    Options
    I took the FL bar last summer, and I gained about 5 lbs, unfortunately. Eating healthy and exercising were not on my radar at all. I ate a lot of fast food and take out because I didn't want to spend time cooking. That being said, one of my best friends that I studied with a lot would go to the gym every morning at 6 am before BarBri classes to fit her workout in, so it can be done. You'll just have to be diligent about scheduling time for yourself. I was good at this, but I mostly drowned my sorrows with a bottle of wine every night instead of doing anything productive like working out. :) Good luck! Studying for/taking the bar will probably be the most stressful time of your life, but if you put in the hours studying, then you'll be fine.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm currently taking the Quebec province bar (I'm from Montreal, Canada). I have 4h classes from Monday to Friday and the the bar exam is on May 2nd and 3rd. Its a lot of studying. I always study an extra 6h per day on weekdays (in addition to my 4h/day class). As for loosing weight, I find it not too hard because I always have the same schedule. I also plan a lot of low cals healthy snaks so I can often eat while studying. Coffee will become a morning must and try to schedule your exercise always at the same time so it becomes your daily break from studying. And as for social life, Friday and Saturday evenings are off for me, its important to have those moments as well!!

Good luck!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    almost 20 years ago . . . however, it is not as hard as dealing with 5 kids 24/7 . . . just sayin'
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I took the FL bar last summer, and I gained about 5 lbs, unfortunately. Eating healthy and exercising were not on my radar at all. I ate a lot of fast food and take out because I didn't want to spend time cooking. That being said, one of my best friends that I studied with a lot would go to the gym every morning at 6 am before BarBri classes to fit her workout in, so it can be done. You'll just have to be diligent about scheduling time for yourself. I was good at this, but I mostly drowned my sorrows with a bottle of wine every night instead of doing anything productive like working out. :) Good luck! Studying for/taking the bar will probably be the most stressful time of your life, but if you put in the hours studying, then you'll be fine.

And I agree: the MOST STRESSFUL time of your life!!!
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Please do make the time to keep working out. I took the NM bar in the summer of '06 and the AZ bar in the summer of '07 and passed both on the first try. I did the Bar Bri class in the mornings (it was 2.5 to 3 hours usually) and then took a couple of hours off to work out and eat, then finished up studying for a few more hours in the afternoon. Sometimes my friends and I would go to the pool and call out flash cards to each other while we swam and sunned ourselves.

If you have the option of using the computer program that comes with Bar Bri to help you with the multiple choice portion of the test, I found that program extremely helpful. I would set it up to give me 30 random questions each morning. I really think the exercise helped me retain more information. Personally, I can only sit and study for so long before I have to give my brain a little rest. Good luck! You can do it!
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not a law student but I'll be sitting my master's psychology conversion exams ( for people who did an undergrad in a subject other than psychology - you take the 3 years in 1 as a master's) so I feel your pain! Do you mean you want to lose 5lbs during exam period or 5lbs between now and then? I don't know about you but I actually find it easier to lose during revision periods - spending all day in the library means that if I bring packed lunch (and dinner if you're staying late) there's way less opportunity for snacking! If you can even do 20 minutes of exercise a day - a 20 minute jog/run in the morning, say - then that's already going to help a lot and not tire you out so much that your work will suffer. Good luck!
  • jyork5407
    jyork5407 Posts: 47
    Options
    Yes - 8 to 10 hours of studying a day is the general rule and should be followed. I think getting some exercise will be critical for your mental well being to put in those long hours of studying, so do it as much as you can, whenever it makes most sense for you. However, I think putting pressure on yourself to lose 5 lbs during this time frame is not a good plan. The long hours sitting and the stress are definitely counterproductive to weight loss. As much as I support multi-tasking, I don't think it applies to studying for the Bar Exam. I tried multi-tasking when I was studying for the Bar in Ohio and ended up with a broken rib and buckled shoulder blade when I attempted to study at the barn while giving my horse some turnout time. Long story. Anyway. Broken bones aside, just study. And exercise when you can, because you'll be happier and more focused when you're studying. Work on losing those 5 lbs after the exam - you'll need something to occupy your mind while you're waiting for the results and will have loads of extra energy to burn when you find out you passed! And good luck to you. I had to take it twice: one month after said broken rib/shoulder and again the next time it was offered. The Bar Exam is by far the worst experience I've ever had to go through, including labor. Honestly, I felt like it took years off my life, but I will never forget how awesome it felt the day I found out I passed. :o)
  • mrshoneybear1014
    mrshoneybear1014 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice! I do plan on taking the Barbri course from 9:30-1:30 every day. Perhaps going to the gym then - at least for 30 mins - would be a great break in the day and then continue studying. Or if I find that takes up too much time, perhaps I will go at night after dinner. I really do think that you are right in saying that it will make me feel better from sitting all day and keep me more focused overall. However, waking up at 6am? I don't know if I could do that! SOOO not a morning person!

Oh, and I live on Long Island, NY but I will be taking the NY and MA bar this summer. This economy is so terrible that I want to have as many job opportunities that I possibly can. Especially since my interest is in public interest/government - I am basically screwed! Haha. I am basically wanting to find a job that caters to a more balance of life because I want to be a mommy more than anything (hence the weight loss!) It's such a hard thing to overcome though in an industry that is known for 60+ hours a week of work. Well, one thing at a time I suppose!
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been on the typical lose one pound per week thing for the first month of Barbri and it is killing me. I am lowering down to losing half a pound per week (just to ensure I don't actually GAIN) and stepping up my exercise to at least an hour a day. The exercise helps with the stress. The additional calories help keep my brain fueled. God knows I need the fuel!!