Sugar Addiction - Fighting Back

Options
I've been hooked on sugar as far back as I can remember.... I love sweet and salty treats: cookies, cupcakes/cakes, and things like yogurt/chocolate covered pretzels and garlic knots are the biggest threats.

My daily nutrition allowances call for a LOT less sugar than what I've been used to eating, but I've slowly made progress in getting my intake closer to that number. Diabetes runs in my family, and we want to start our own family soon, so all of this is more serious to me now than ever.

I've been looking for ways to cut sugar w/o losing satisfaction. My latest victories: SILK milk has two unsweetened choices that are 1g (organic soy) and 0g (almond) per cup :) ...also, I've discovered that I like black tea w just a squeeze of fresh lemon--no cream, sugar or honey. For me, that's BIG!

For years I've been talking about how I need to get my sugar habit under control, but finally I can say I am actually DOING something about it.

Are you a sugar addict like me?? How are you fighting back?

Where have you found sugar secretly lurking and how are you replacing or reducing it?

Replies

• jomiley23
    Options
    Oh, I hope a LOT of people respond to this, because I AM a sugar fiend. I have NOT kicked the habit. And I need to so desperately!! I will def. try the lemon in tea thing, because I am a south Mississippi girl and I have got to have sweet tea and coffee. If I could switch to lemon unsweet tea, I would do it in a heartbeat!

I may get disowned by my husband and children if I buy a SILK that isn't vanilla, though.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've started by switching to Stevia for the most part :/. But, yeah, I have a total sweet tooth, and a Dad with Type 1 diabetes, an Aunt and Uncle with Type 2, and my Grandfather had Type 2 as well.

FYI they do make an Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk :0). It's pretty good! I recently got the original unsweetened. I personally think its sweet enough on its own.
  • vass78
    vass78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can't drink coffee without sugar and cream. I am addicted to sugar in everything. From what I read, you have to 'reset' what is considered sweet to your body. For example, an apple is really sweet but refined sugar is 10 times sweeter and artificial sweeteners (like splenda) are about 100 times sweeter. If I can get to the point where I would rather eat an apple over ice cream, I will be in heaven.
  • kkrondon
    kkrondon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I struggle with my sweet tooth as well, but it's difficult...as we all know sugar is addictive. Due to that fact, I find that the less sugar I eat...the less I crave it; which is my first line of defense. We all need to re-train our brains/tastebuds on what "sweet" really is like the natually occurring sweetness in fruit vs. the extreme sweetness that we've gotten used to by consuming riduclous amounts of sugar in many processed foods.

A good sugar substitute is agave nectar. It is very similar to honey in that it's natural (plant-based), almost the exact same calorie count, and similar in the level of sweetness. The big benefit is that it's low on the glycemic index, which means that it doesn't cause spikes in your blood sugar levels the way that refined sugar does. When shopping for it, ensure that it's organic. Try it...I think you'll like it.
  • Narleta
    Narleta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree. The trick for me with sugar is I can't eat it at all or I become a sugar-obsessed monster prowling the kitchen. It's very addictive and I find it difficult to get through one day without it. I've gone weeks without touching it and then BAM, I "relapse" and it's all I can do to get away from it again. Starting now, I'm going to swear off sugar again and take it one day at a time. Anyone with me?
  • bb0322
    bb0322 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm completely addicted to sugar. for a while, i gave up real food and just ate chocolate and ice cream and cakes and cookies, nothing else...
    but anyway I find that plain greek yogurt with spenda/equal fills that spot when you're on diet! and it's full of protein!
  • apriljmcmillan
    apriljmcmillan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am not alone! I totally relate to the people who said it is "all or nothing." Probably a year and a half ago, I would NOT have thought I'd be eating the way I am now. So while there are times that cold turkey is the way, there is a place for baby steps.

I have to share something that (as I just learned--thanks mbscarreno08) counts as an NSV, or Non-Scale Victory.

Last night my hubby and I went out for dessert with the family, and I was looking forward to treating myself to something rich and sweet since I have been denying myself. I ordered a piece of pecan pie. It came with whipped cream and I ate it all.

And this is crazy coming from me, but I tell you the truth--I regretted eating it almost right as soon as I was done. As we rode home I realized that it was just TOO sweet. I literally felt gross. This is new for me!

Um, what?? My slogan in life used to be "never too sweet!" LOL - but I really believe that I am resetting what my body receives as sweet and what will satisfy my sweet cravings.

All this to say: BE ENCOURAGED!! Just make changes step by step. It helps me if I say, I'm not declaring that I will never have "----" again, I'm just daring myself to see how long I can go without it, or what I can have instead. Just by taking those baby steps, I can look back over the past year and realize that I have really been able to change my eating habits--and more importantly--my DESIRES.

YES, PEOPLE IT CAN BE DONE. DO NOT GIVE UP!! SUGAR WILL NOT RULE OVER US!!
  • pinok88
    pinok88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Patty & I'm a Sugar Addict! lol.. but seriously.. I AM!
    But like you said - It's time to fight back!

You know where sugar is hiding - in SKIM milk.. if you can believe it. It's almost better to use low fat milk if you are watching both calories and sugar.

Also, my secret go to dessert is: Greek yogurt, berries, granola & a drizzle of honey (I pretend it's a sunday .. mmMmm) .. it's actually my breakfast or anytime snack :)
  • jomiley23
    jomiley23 Posts: 76
    Options
    I reset my food tracker to reveal sugar, and I am over SO MUCH everyday, even when I've tried to cut it out. I still have one teaspoon in my coffee, just to cut the artificial taste of the splenda. But the rest is coming from an apple and a homemade weight watcher recipe banana nut muffin (3 pt. Awesome recipe) that has bananas and applesauce in it.

Now, granted, I'm not going to eat those muffins everyday, so there's 14g sugar down. But when the apple has 13g, ... almost makes you want to eat the "bad" if it costs the same as something good for you.

What are your daily sugar targets? I'm hitting between 40 and 50, but MFP's counter says I should hit between 20 and 30.