Sushi issue

Options
So I was regularly eating this sushi tray from my college cafeteria, MFP had it as 125 cals as well as a few other sites. Now, I sort of think it must be wrong. It's a vegetable hosomaki (little rolls), so I'm not sure if I should comtinue eating them

Replies

• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You could always try listing the ingredients one by one in the recipe maker on here and seeing what your value comes out to. Might be tough though since they are already prepared and eyeballing it can be hard but it can give you a ball park of whether you are correct.
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    Oi, I would be so bad at that, might try, though.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i had sushi tues night and i put them in here and noticed the calories were really high too, for like 3-4 pieces. was it 125 for the whole roll??
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    i had sushi tues night and i put them in here and noticed the calories were really high too, for like 3-4 pieces. was it 125 for the whole roll??
    Yep
    Take in mind it was like half inch- inch thick pieces with carrot and cucumber fillings. Still, though.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's the rice. 1/2 cup of sushi rice is about 175 calories. Still, sushi tastes great and generally has some great nutritional benefits to it. So long as it fits within your calories and your nutrient levels I say keep eating it.
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    It's the rice. 1/2 cup of sushi rice is about 175 calories. Still, sushi tastes great and generally has some great nutritional benefits to it. So long as it fits within your calories and your nutrient levels I say keep eating it.
    Gah, it isn't the calorie count I'm upset with. The roll is decent sized and filling, for 125 calories, that's a snack!!!! I am wondering if I should trust the calories.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options
    Gah, it isn't the calorie count I'm upset with. The roll is decent sized and filling, for 125 calories, that's a snack!!!! I am wondering if I should trust the calories.

OK. Same principle. How much rice do you think is in the roll? If it looks like it has at least 1/2 cup of rice in it then 125 is low. If not, it's probably fine. The calories from the veggies and the wrapper are negligible.
  • MeowserKitty
    Options

OK. Same principle. How much rice do you think is in the roll? If it looks like it has at least 1/2 cup of rice in it then 125 is low. If not, it's probably fine. The calories from the veggies and the wrapper are negligible.
    It probably has half a cup, so maybe 175-200 would be more likely?
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sushi in NZ is normally in round pieces approx 2" in diameter & 1" thick - they are averaged at 50cal per piece (on here and at WeightWatchers (1pt = 50cal)) providing they're not filled with mayo/creamcheese etc.
    I tend to stick to chicken and I count 6 pieces as 300cals, so if it was in a long roll, rather than sliced, it'd be 6" x 2" (or two pieces of 3" x 2" :smile: ) and I think that still works out about right.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You might try making some rice and and faking up a rill of the correct size with saran wrap, then measuring the amount of rice.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's not just the rice, it's the sushi rice seasoning. With the stuff I had been using, it's basically a mix of sugars and vinegar, 70 cal/2T, it's directions say to apply at a rate of 1/2 cup per 4 cups cooked rice (or, 2T per cup of rice). Also, though it's good for you, avocado gets the calorie count up there quick too!

I used to have a couple books on sushi making, I think they called for a quarter cup for half-sheet (thin) rolls and a half cup for the thicker rolls, though I usually ended up putting a little more than that on, I think.

Going off about 1/3 cup per roll for the thin roll, here is my estimate:
    half sheet nori: 5 cal
    1/3 cup rice: 100 cal
    sushi seasoning: 23 cal
    Base #s for roll: 128 cal

veggies (aprox):
    carrot: 10, 138 cal total/roll
    cuke: 5, 133 total/roll
    avocado: 28, 156 total/roll (I *think* I get about 8 small rolls out of 1 avocado)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    Options
    It's not just the rice, it's the sushi rice seasoning. With the stuff I had been using, it's basically a mix of sugars and vinegar, 70 cal/2T, it's directions say to apply at a rate of 1/2 cup per 4 cups cooked rice (or, 2T per cup of rice). Also, though it's good for you, avocado gets the calorie count up there quick too!

I used to have a couple books on sushi making, I think they called for a quarter cup for half-sheet (thin) rolls and a half cup for the thicker rolls, though I usually ended up putting a little more than that on, I think.

My estimate of 175 per 1/2 cup of sushi rice takes the seasoning into account. Plain rice is just over 100 per 1/2. FYI
  • chucklicious
    Options
    I get california rolls at wegmans all the time made with brown rice. The label says the package has 170 calories. That's for 8-10 one inch thick pieces.
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    for 6 salmon and advocado sushis not rolls but pieces its 304?
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the calorie count isn't too bad. Sushi is a pretty healthy choice. And from your prof pict you don't need to worry.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    0AmyMarie0 Posts: 315
    Options
    I buy my sushi fresh at the grocery store here, I was shocked when I read the calories on the back. The nutrition label said it was something like 350 calories for 4 salmon rolls... I used to eat all 12. Is it the rice??
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Mmmm sushi!! Now i have a craving for edamame and Dragon rolls! :laugh:
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sushi rice seasoning is also loaded with salt. Common recipes use a Tablespoon of Vinegar, sugar and an entire teaspoon!!! of salt for ONE roll. If you add soy sauce to that you are looking at some serious sodium numbers. That rice isn't just rice.

I make my own sushi at home so I can keep the numbers reasonable. But that's not an option for everyone. I would think you could do it in a dorm though if you had a mini fridge and a small rice cooker.

Making it at home is much cheaper, you can use what you want, and with a bamboo roller or a towel and some saran wrap (towel works better for me because I suck at rolling) it's really easy too. I love my rice-cooker. The nori sheets and wasabi powder last a very long time in the cupboard too.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I found the following site:

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/

Sounds like you were about right.
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    Sushi rice seasoning is also loaded with salt. Common recipes use a Tablespoon of Vinegar, sugar and an entire teaspoon!!! of salt for ONE roll. If you add soy sauce to that you are looking at some serious sodium numbers. That rice isn't just rice.

I make my own sushi at home so I can keep the numbers reasonable. But that's not an option for everyone. I would think you could do it in a dorm though if you had a mini fridge and a small rice cooker.

Making it at home is much cheaper, you can use what you want, and with a bamboo roller or a towel and some saran wrap (towel works better for me because I suck at rolling) it's really easy too. I love my rice-cooker. The nori sheets and wasabi powder last a very long time in the cupboard too.

I tend to not worry that much about sodium, probably bad, but it isn't my main concern. Plus I don't use soy sauce. I'm a campus-dweller so eating healthy is hard enough without fretting over sodium.