Would You Rather.......

Options
Would you rather workout three days per week for two hours each session or six days a week for one hour each session? Do you get the same results going either way?

Right now I am working out six days per week, approximately one hour each time and I just hit a wall today. I'm contemplating if I'm being overly optimistic that I can do six days per week from here on out. I'm not talking physically, but more mentally. Advice and/or opinions welcomed and appreciated.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd go with 6 x 1hr for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, 2 hours is a long workout. Until you've achieved a fairly good level of fitness you'll either be wiped out or be exercising at a very low intensity which kind of negates the process. I also noticed from your profile that you have a couple of kids which suggests that finding 2hrs in a given day could be a scheduling challenge.

The second reason is the exercise afterburn. Exercise (of adequate intensity) really does rev up your metabolism. Assuming the total caloric expenditure for both choices (6 x 1 or 2 x 3) was identical you would still burn more calories in total with the 6 x 1 due to the afterburn (we're not talking about a ton of calories but over time they all add up)

New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/health/nutrition/19best.html
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Firstly, 2 hours is a long workout. Until you've achieved a fairly good level of fitness you'll either be wiped out or be exercising at a very low intensity which kind of negates the process. I also noticed from your profile that you have a couple of kids which suggests that finding 2hrs in a given day could be a scheduling challenge.

The second reason is the exercise afterburn. Exercise (of adequate intensity) really does rev up your metabolism. Assuming the total caloric expenditure for both choices (6 x 1 or 2 x 3) was identical you would still burn more calories in total with the 6 x 1 due to the afterburn (we're not talking about a ton of calories but over time they all add up)

Agree 100% with the above.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Since you seem to be hitting a wall mentally, I would suggest you take it down to 5 days a week - that will give you 2 rest days to spread out and give you the chance to give you a mental break. You can extend those 5 days to 1 hour 15 minutes and still get in the 6 hours a week.

I personally do 2 days of 2 hours then one day of 1 hour (all kickboxing/boxing classes). So I generally work out Monday, Wednesday and Saturday then walk and other lighter things other days.
  • kentmanion
    kentmanion Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What do your workouts consist of? If you are doing the same thing everyday I can see how you would very quickly hit a wall.

Also, maybe you could find something to work towards other than the scale, for example a run or race. This has become my motivation. I could not find the motivation to get my workouts in until I bit the bullet and signed up for a sprint triathlon. Once I had paid my money, I was going to put the work in. After I competed in my first one I got hooked. I now look for other events that I want to do that will keep me motivated and working. I have done an olympic distance tri, a half marathon, I have a full marathon this weekend, and then already have a half Ironman on the schedule for June. This might not be for everyone but it has certainly kept me on the road in the pool and on the bike, and I am loving every minute of it!

Good luck!
  • katrinalarocque
    katrinalarocque Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brian on this one. 6 one hour workouts has more benefits and less risk of overexerting your muscles (and hence injury) than 3 two hour workouts. I know how you feel about "the wall" where you just don't feel like doing it anymore. Maybe try an entirely different exercise if you can...running around the yard with your kids counts!
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options

Agree.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I work out 30 min plus weights or abs 5-6days weekly. Not interested in any more than that. I HATE TO EXERCISE.