Hi

Options
I've been working myfitnesspal for over a month now. I've lost 13 pounds. I am using the elliptical every single night. I get discourage because it seems i'm working my butt off and the weight just doesn't drop off.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing some frustration :)

Replies

• leeann788
    leeann788 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, if you dropped 13 pounds in just over a month...that's great!!!! Don't be hard on yourself....this is a process that takes time, and it seems as if you are off to a great start!:smile:
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Seriously mama! You are being way too hard on yourself - 13 pounds in a month? Most of us on here would kill to be doing that well! Keep up the good work - you'll get to where you want to be. Remember - the weight didn't go on over night (no matter how much it may seem like it!), and it takes time for it to come off!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, if you dropped 13 pounds in just over a month...that's great!!!! Don't be hard on yourself....this is a process that takes time, and it seems as if you are off to a great start!:smile:

I have to agree... 13lbs in a month is not very common. That is averaging more the 3lbs a week which is very difficult to do. Just keep doing what you are doing and just think...you will be down 26more lbs in two more months, 39 total in three, which is extremely good. Be patient....this is like running a marathon and not a 100m sprint. I know that we all want the weight to melt off fast but it just takes time.
  • gisfw
    gisfw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jacquelynkay,

Losing 13 pounds in a month is amazing. Don't get discouraged, keep thinking positively and set realistic goals. Try lifting weights in addition to the elliptical machine. The more lean muscle mass you have, the extra calories you are going to burn throughout the day. Muscle requires and extra 40-50 calories so if you added an extra 5lbs of muscle - you are looking at a deficit of 200 calories x 7 days = 1400 calorie deficit from just lifting weights. Combined with a nutrition plan with the right amount of complex carbs, lean protein, right types of fat and plenty of water you can't go wrong
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You have lost 13lbs in a month. What the hell you expecting?
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You have lost 13lbs in a month. What the hell you expecting?

^^ This
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah...13 pounds in 2 months would even be an excellent loss! You are doing great! My only suggestion would be to try changing things up a bit b/c if you stick with only the elliptical you might get bored!!!
  • Hollsjazzy
    Hollsjazzy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OMG< THATS AWESOME!!! I would keep it up until you hit a Plateau. Then I would add some strength training. It burns fat faster and longer!!
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Took me 2 1/2 months at just over a pound a week to drop 13, and that was with closely monitoring my food and daily runs on the treadmill.

Keep up the GREAT progress! We're all here to encourage you!
  • naffito
    naffito Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    you doing great! i'm sure everyone would just like to wake up one day and be at the peak of their physical fitness and healthy
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    13 pounds in a month is fantastic! I started eating right, exercising on Dec. 24, 2011 and I've only lost 13! Try to be a little more patient, measure yourself and remember that you didn't gain it all at once and it's healthier for you to lose it at a slower rate.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    No need to rush! Weight-loss is a journey, not just a destination. It took me 15 years to gain 60 pounds, so I knew I couldn't expect it to come off quickly. In the last five years I have lost over 40 of those pounds and am on track to lose the rest this year (or next depending on how hard I work at it). My goal is to make incremental changes to my eating and exercise habits - ones that I can sustain for the rest of my life without feeling deprived. I still eat what I want, when I want, just a bit less of it. I exercise - and especially love a good long walk - but don't kill myself over it. I am thrilled with every pound lost, and don't worry about the occasional regained pound ("it's only weight, I'll lose it again" is my motto). You have lost 13 lbs in over a month...CELEBRATE! Bravo, bravo, bravo!
  • liveXxfree
    liveXxfree Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would switch up the exercise! Doing the elliptical every night may have helped you burn extra calories at your previous weight/ level of fitness. You may need a longer time or higher resistance to burn a similar amount of calories/ to get your heart rate up.

You need to keep your body on it's toes, doing different exercises will keep it guessing and work different muscle groups. Remember strength training is important to your weight loss successes too! :)
  • unali1
    unali1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that 13 pounds is wonderful. Don't get discouraged. Any pound lost is moving in the right direction.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    hang in there .. sometimes it takes time ...
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I want to THANK every single one of you that took time to reply with such wonderful encouraging words! I really needed that- you have no idea!!!! I have a medical condition that has forced me to lose the weight the old fashion way! Reduce calories & Work out!!!!!!

I've been working out every single night!

Again- Thank each of you!
    Jacquelyn
  • jacquelynkay
    Options
    hang in there .. sometimes it takes time ...

Thank you :)
  • jacquelynkay
    Options
    Thank you so much :)
  • jacquelynkay
    Options
    I would switch up the exercise! Doing the elliptical every night may have helped you burn extra calories at your previous weight/ level of fitness. You may need a longer time or higher resistance to burn a similar amount of calories/ to get your heart rate up.

You need to keep your body on it's toes, doing different exercises will keep it guessing and work different muscle groups. Remember strength training is important to your weight loss successes too! :)

Makes a lot of sense! I will switch it up :) I thought about walking the bleachers at the football field!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I can't quite tell if the OP is serious or sarcastic?