Anybody got fit without cutting carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs. I set my macros to 40/30/30. It works for me. I do try to stay away from products made with white flour. I try to have whole grains when I can.
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This thread made my day. YAY! Was wondering the same thing... Carbs are my favorite.
  • Mrsairforce
    Mrsairforce Posts: 130
    Options
    I have two sides to this....I lost 60 pounds in four months on Atkins, eating only 20 carbs per day. Sure I could have the beautiful gift from the Heavens known as bacon, but I was winded walking up the stairs, I slept all day and I was bored! Cutting carbs sucked. But hey, I lost 60 pounds.

As soon as I stopped Atkins I gained back the 60 plus probably another 20 from bingeing on carbs after not having them for months. When I hit my highest, 210 in December, I had a very scary and eye opening doctors visit where the doc handed my behind to me and told me to change my ways or never have kids.

I've been eating within my MFP given range everyday and some weekends I spike and have indulgence days but since January 1st I have lost 20 pounds - and thats eating plenty of carbs.
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    congrats on your huge weight loss! wow :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot to all of you. Doesn't seem as hopeless now lol. Some days I have no problems sticking to about 30% carbs, other days I want to eat like 50%.

As for the losing weight/getting fit question, I know that they are totally different. What I want is to build some more muscle and lose the flab I have. I did a body composition test about a month and a half ago, and I'm at 25% body fat. Would love to drop down to about 19-20% and I hope that will be possible while not reducing carbs every day :)

Workout approximate TDEE. Total cals per day = TDEE - 500.

Get 1g/lb of LBM (BWX (1-BF%)) protein minimum
    Get .35g/lb of BW fat minimum

Make up the rest of the cal target with whatever. (sounds like you want the carbs)

Progressively lift heavier. (I prefer all compound lifts as best bang for buck) Do cardio if you want to (can help create deficit)

Do this consistently & you will be well on you're way :)
  • maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Workout approximate TDEE. Total cals per day = TDEE - 500.

Get 1g/lb of LBM (BWX (1-BF%)) protein minimum
    Get .35g/lb of BW fat minimum

This is actually pretty much exactly what I ended up on when I changed my goals earlier today. A little higher on the protein end but that's probably just good since I'm doing some pretty heavy lifting several days a week :) I hope it's gonna work out!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    sounds good :) Yeah, they're the minimums to aim for. More protein if you like meat a lot I guess :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think that's the trick. Workout what protein and fat your body needs, and then play with the settings on here to make the macro percentages line up. As a rough guide, whatever cals you have left after getting meeting your protein & fats, have with carbs.

I would also say that you need to remember that if a plan is not sustainable for you personally, it isn't going to work. If you love bread, don't cut it out, make it fit into your plan. Otherwise you will resent your eating habits and eventually fail.

My way of managing it... IIFYM, it's all good! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!