What's Worse?

Options
LauraMacNCheese
LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
So we were having a debate @ work today...which is worse:

1. Giving birth
2. Kidney stones

Naturally every woman here who's a mom said child birth...and of course, the guys opted for the stones. Since I'm bored out of my skull at the moment, I thought I'd pose the question to MFP.

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have never had kidney stones, but I would say they probably hurt worse. At least when you are in labor you want what is coming out and your body releases happy hormones at the end so that you're dumb enough to have more babies.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

1. Giving birth
    2. Kidney stones

Naturally every woman here who's a mom said child birth...and of course, the guys opted for the stones. Since I'm bored out of my skull at the moment, I thought I'd pose the question to MFP.

You forgot to add Gall Stones!
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Good one - the doctor I worked for years ago compared a kidney stone to giving birth - perhaps very similar ?
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    maybe kidney stones because you don't get drugs when you are passing them. but as I have never had kidney stone, but have helped in several births I would have to go with childbirth. And I am thankful I never have to go through it.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I know a woman who has done both and depending on the size of the stones they can be worse..
    the places they go were not made to stretch..
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

1. Giving birth
    2. Kidney stones

I have done both. My daughter was born at home with no meds at all (obvs) and I had precipitous labor (contractions back to back with no rests).

Kidney stones were WAY worse. I was on a Demerol drip for 2 days.
  • jessicas0215
    Options
    I actually had a Gallbladder attack a year ago tomorrow. (I didn't know there was such a thing as gallbladder attack)
    I thought I was having a heart attack, no joke. The pain was excruciating and wouldn't go away. Went to ER, my heart was perfect, the Dr was confused but went ahead and did a CT scan which showed large gallstones and an inflamed gallbladder. Emergency surgery that night and now I'm fine..
    I've given birth twice....
    I would much rather go through childbirth again...
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Gave birth to my first child without any drugs at all..the kid weighed 8lbs 10-3/4oz Extremely painful...second birth with drugs...much easier

All I know is if Kidney stones are worse...please God, don't let me ever experience that/
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    As a man <trading very carefully on this post> I have passed a small stone a long time ago...OMFG that hurt but not as much as having the full weight of two rugby players on my nuts approx (35-40 stones)

..So to recap.... I have no idea!
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    Ive had both so am a good judge, childbirth is the worst for sure, but at least you know it will be over in a few hours, kidney stones isnt as painful but the pain lasts for days and days until the stones pass.

Final answer..... childbirth

No man has ever given birth to compare either,they can only imagine the pain of chidbirth..... just saying!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    Kidney stones were WAY worse. I was on a Demerol drip for 2 days.

I stand corrected you can get drugs for kidney stones.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I haven't had kids yet, but kidney stones are AWFUL! I'll keep ya'll posted in like 20 years when I have kids though :tongue:
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hands down kidney stones. Thought I was going to die, and I'm an RN.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    GETTING HIT IN THE BALLS.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there an episode of Friends that compared giving birth to passing kidney stones? Both seemed terrible but then hilarity ensued.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    At least babies don't have jagged edges...I suppose that helps somewhat...unless of course the 9lb 6.5oz kid's shoulder gets stuck on the way out. That is not pleasant, I assure you.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    Options
    GETTING HIT IN THE BALLS.

Indeed

funny_1558.jpg
  • cdnmom1
    cdnmom1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Exactly and no happy drugs either!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 kids and a kidney stone, kidney stone was the WORSE PAIN EVER!!!!...and it was a BIG one for which I ended up having surgery, this happen last summer while I was on vacation!!! :grumble:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Pain is controlled as much by your mind as your body, sounds daft but...

26 hours of labour 12 hours with kidney stones.

The Kidney stones were much worse because at the time I didn't know what was causing the pain which was excruciating and I was vomiting and had no idea how long it was going to last or whether it was going to get worse and I was very scared.

With labour I was expecting the pain and I knew what it was, knew it was "normal" and knew it would end with the birth of my baby so mentally I was much better able to cope with the pain.