HRM

I am sure there is probably a topic on here somewhere in reference to these, but I am trying to figure out the most accurate way to log my calories burned. It seems like a huge difference between what the machines say and what MFP says.

Replies

• Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Do u have a HRM? Thats suppsed to be the most accurate
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    I have a New Balance watch hrm. It seemed to work pretty good until the other day. It tried telling me I burned 1250 calories in one hour, and I know I didn't get THAT much of a burn.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Mfp works on averages, it doesnt know how much effort you actually put into an aerobics class for example.
    the machines at the gym can tell your effort, but usually don't distinguish between sizes and weights.

hrm's seem the most accurate, since you can input your own measurements, and use it for various kinds of exercise.

if you don't have one, use whichever statistic you feel more comfortable with, key being consistency. if you notice that it throws off your calories too much (no weight lost, or too much), you can figure out how to adjust...
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    I went on a website that calculates it for you according to your body weight b/c it depends on how much you weigh for how much you burn for each thing...MFP is what someone may have put in there for themselves but at what weight were they at that time???

Here is the site if you want to try it:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • MrsKosal
    Thank you for posting that!
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    I use a Polar HRM and it has been a great addition to my workout. Make sure you use a monitor that has a chest strap. The HRMs that are just the watch portion aren't as accurate.

I have noticed when I workout that there is a difference between the machine and what my HRM says (HRM is usually higher). I started 10k training, and am logging what the HRM says during the training to see if my weight loss over the weeks matches the results. If not, I will make adjustments.

Nothing is 100% accurate, but like MFP, it is a tool to help you reach your goals.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 352 Member
    I use a HRM Polar FT4..........love it and you can look them up on line..........bought mine from HeartRate.com also Amazon has them and I believe they run around 60.00.........not sure of the price they run sales all the time.........good luck
  • MrsKosal
    One of my friends just recommended that I buy the Polar with chest strap as well. I need to check them out and buy one! Thank you!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    I just got polar ft4 at target cause i was impulsive for 93$ i would def recomend not doing that and getting it on amazon, but i love it so far!
  • mizzoulaxgirl26
    mizzoulaxgirl26 Posts: 21 Member
    Does it have a chest strap?? i dont trust the ones without it!
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    I just got the Polar FT4 this week and I love it! It has a chest strap, which I thought would be annoying and uncomfortable, but I don't even notice it! recommend it!
  • MrsKosal
    Yes! The one my friend Morissa bought has the chest strap.
  • MrsKosal
    I was worried about it being uncomfortable too. Thanks for posting this.
  • beth230blue
    beth230blue Posts: 45 Member
    I have the ironman HRM and LOVE it. Reasonably priced + when I compare to the websites where your burn is calculated pretty bang on. Love getting off the treadmill and knowing I've burned 650 calories!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I started with a New Balance watch-only model. Got frustrated with having to pause to take my heart rate all the time, especially when it didn't read right away and interrupted my workout. Switched to a New Balance N4 with a chest strap - much better! No messing with it during workouts, and more accurate readings.

Search the forums here for HRM and you'll find tons of info and opinions on the various makes & models out there. Then check online sites like Amazon & eBay for the models you'd like to have, & find a great price. I got my NB for $26 on eBay - retail at Target is $70.