How old were you when you had kids?

Options
k0nfyo0zed
k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
My husband and I are 28, and don't plan on having kids for another 2-3 years... once he's out of grad school. I think this is perfectly fine, women in their 30s have babies every day. Meanwhile people of my mom's generation are telling me I need to have kids NOW before I'm too old!

So, I'm just curious, how old were you when you had children?

Replies

• sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    19...but I was a MUCH better mom at 25+
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had my son over my birthday, so 26, turned 27. We might try next year, so I'll be around 33 or 34.

I think you are totally fine. I have friends who didn't even start until their 40s!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I had my first one at 22, my second at 24, and I plan on having two more. I am 30 now, but I won't be having them until at least 32-34.
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Had my one and only at 38! He has kept me young and young at heart!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I had my son at 23. I want another but not now. So I will probally be 30 when we try again.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Had my son at 19, 1st daughter at 21, and 2nd daughter at 24. But... I have always wanted the parenting thing, and if medical reasons would not have interfered, I would have had more.
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was 28 when I had my daughter. I think only you truly know when you are ready for it. Some people just like to give advice, even when it's not solicited.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    21 and 24, but the majority of my friends my age are really just now getting started on their families. It's a personal choice. Just try to ignore them :smile:
  • hallensd
    hallensd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 20. Which may seem on the young side, but I had already graduated college and my husband and I had been married for 2.5 years and owned our own home. I'm 26 now and had #5 three months ago. I like being a "young" mom but I don't think there is anything wrong with having kids in your 30s (or even 40s).
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    17, 4 days after my 19th birthday, 24, 25, and 27.

When I was 24+ I was really a much more mature mom. I just felt so much more confident in my mothering abilities.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My 1st, 23. My 2nd 27. My 3rd, 29. My 4th 31. All are perfect & healthy. You are fine if you want to wait. It's old fashioned to think you can't have kids in your 30's. 40-50 is pushing it but only because of the increased risk of genetic defects. Stick with your plan, you two know what's best for you! :flowerforyou:
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was 23 when I got pregnant, 24 when my son was born. He wasn't planned, but my husband (he was just my boyfriend then, we got married 2 years ago) and I were ready to deal with being parents (after we got over the freaking out part, haha!). I like being the youngest mom out of the parents in his class, but it would be nice to have more friends that were parents closer to my age! So I guess that whenever you have kids will be fine, there's pros and cons to both.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    18. But that was not on purpose. If I didn't get pregnant as a teen, I would have ideally wanted to wait until I was around 30 or not at all. I don't think I'm a very "mom-like" person. I love my son more than anything and I'm so glad I have him now, but I wont be having anymore. I'm more of a "loner." lol
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 28, and don't plan on having kids for another 2-3 years... once he's out of grad school. I think this is perfectly fine, women in their 30s have babies every day. Meanwhile people of my mom's generation are telling me I need to have kids NOW before I'm too old!

I get the same thing from my friends who are all 22-25 right now and working on kiddo #2-4... Me? I've got 2 gerbils for kids. I'm perfectly fine waiting another couple years until my hubby and I both have jobs we love and are good at and of course we need a house to raise the kid in. I'm 23. Don't feel bad about waiting. It's better that you wait until the time is right for you and not everyone else.
  • millikenhomeschool
    Options
    30 when my first was born
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I was 21 when my daughter was born. :)
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    that's not old! I don't want kids until my 30s either.
  • stacyfoo
    stacyfoo Posts: 47
    Options
    I'll be 32 in April and am pregnant with my first child! :)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    23 with my first and 26 with my second
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    25, 27, and almost 32. My sister and SIL both turn 30 this year and their friends are all just starting to have kids now. My high school friends are finally mostly married now that I'm 33 but a lot haven't had kids yet. My mom had her 2 kids at 32 and 36 and we joke that we traded places -- mid-thirties was old for kids then but fairly expected now.

When I had my first, I was the youngest person in my office and the other pregnant woman was 38. I felt super-young to be having a baby. Once I met other moms who stayed home, I realized there were plenty of college-educated moms in their 20's, I just didn't run into them until I wasn't in an office 8-5.

I was able to get pregnant really easily the first two times and it took 6 months the third time -- I'm curious whether it was my age or just a fluke. We'll probably have another baby, so we'll see if that takes longer or not.