How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• UltraRoyal
    Options
    I juss had my first baby, he is 10 months old and I am 25!!!
  • AliciaNorth
    Options
    I had my first at 22, second at 24 and third at 27.... i think its a personal thing...when you are ready you just know it...
  • frogangelgirl
    Options
    I had my oldest when I was 25 and my youngest when I was 29. We are planning 1-2 more children and I am 32. My mom was 30 and 36. It really depends on what you and your husband want, don't rush having children until you are absolutely ready.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was 32 when my one and only child was born. I think that age was perfect. She had her first at 29 after she and her husband had both completed law/grad school. You have time.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I had my first at 18, and my second at 23.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    20 and 22.

It was tough being so young, but I have NO regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat. By the time I am 40, they will be graduated (or close to it!) and I'll still be young enough to travel or do whatever *I* want to do with my life. :)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    18. But that was not on purpose. If I didn't get pregnant as a teen, I would have ideally wanted to wait until I was around 30 or not at all. I don't think I'm a very "mom-like" person. I love my son more than anything and I'm so glad I have him now, but I wont be having anymore. I'm more of a "loner." lol

I feel kind of the same way. I had my one and only when I was 16. She turned 18 last week and if I got pregnant now at 34, I would NOT be happy. If I had waited, I probably wouldn't have had any. Not that I don't like kids, I actually love kids. I did home daycare for several years. I just never felt a pressing need to have them.
  • McMommyx3
    McMommyx3 Posts: 19
    Options
    20,22,24...figured I started early, might as well get them all outta the way! :) I would recommend being older.
  • MrsAngelique
    MrsAngelique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    20 and 26
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Found out I was pregnant a week after turning 20, had my son at 20. I wasn't ready but I'm 25 now and we've been through everything together. I was hoping to be settled down and to have another child earlier in life so that my son could have a sibling closer in age but I am finding that with my health and life circumstances I want to be READY for the next one. This means I want my body to be ready as well as mentally/emotionally ready. And I definitely want a stable male in my children/s lives.

I have PCOS and was told I can't have any more children but I am hoping for one more one day. If it's later in life then so be it. These days I am much more aware of the importance of stability and my health when it comes to parenting!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read...lots of young moms out there. I cannot even IMAGINE having kids before age 25!! Gosh, in the state of mind I was in, I was just a kid!! Just a college kid having fun, with no money or time to support a child. You guys are troopers. That being said, I am almost 26 now and I'm still not financially able to support a child without help on my own. I want to be married first and living in a stable home with stable money...I think that's the most fair to my child. I feel the pressure of people around me having kids but man, I just don't feel like I'm there yet. Sometime in the next 5 years I will be.

My mother did not have me, her first, till she was 33. She had my brother and sister at 36 and 39. You're fine! When get the baby bug is when it's time.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    17 when I got pregnant, 18 when he was born.

The only upside to this is I'll only be in my mid 30's when he graduates high school.

I was also 17 when I got pregnant with my first, and 18 when I had her. :-)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    24,27, and 32. 32 was the best. hubby was mature enough to actually help out.so dont worry about what other people think. do what you are comfortable with.
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    I got pregnant at 19, but lost the baby. I was 21 when I had my oldest daughter, 23 with my youngest daughter, and 28 when I had my twin boys.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I would not wait if you don't have some significant reasons. There are few things as painful as wanting a baby and not being able to bring one home.
    The later you wait the chances of having problems with infertility, genetic problems, etc get's higher. 35 is not a magic number but merely the one doctors decided to assign the title of 'advanced maternal age' and will do extra testing.

Sooo, I struggled with 7 years of infertility and had my 1st at 28 and my second at 30. I think being older makes me a calmer and more patient parent. The only reasons that I say don't wait too long are the painful statistics.

http://php.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php?title=Genetic_risk_maternal_age
  • Ceebee37
    Ceebee37 Posts: 49
    Options
    31 and 34
  • Vrutz2012
    Options
    I got pregnant at 18 had her at 19. However I think it's perfect acceptable to wait. I didn't intend to have her so early. You should do what you feel is best. However now that I've had her I think it was good of me to have her early. I don't feel as though I could have managed pregnancy at an older age. I suffered from HG and low Iron. So I had a rough time. I feel right in the way things turned out.
  • gapm
    gapm Posts: 48
    Options
    I had my first when I was 30 and my second when I was 34 with a miscarriage in between. On the plus side, my career was established and I was able to go part time and still afford childcare. On the negative side, we will are dealing with aging parents and thoughts of our own retirement as our children are getting ready to enter college. It might have been nice to been a few years younger when we had our kids, but it's hard to know if it really would have been better.

My parents had their kids in their early 20's. It was rough when they were younger, but they enjoyed themselves after my brother and I were out of the house.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to others!!! I had my first at 21. I am now 34, and I feel I am soo much in a better place to be a mom. The older you are the calmer at least for me I've become. I wish I was having my 1st baby now. My sis-in-law tells me that she's told that she's too old from the doctor or friends..can't remember which as well. There are soo many more moms having kids at whatever age these days. Just think about 20 kids and counting!! Don't rush it!! I wish I hadn't.
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't want kids till my late 20's. None for me yet. My sister had one at 20 and then at 22.
    My best fried is 24 and pregnant. My husbands sister is 28 and pregnant with her third kid.