How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• LisaRN9
    LisaRN9 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We can all give our personal opinions and anecdotal stories of the celebrities and people we know having babies in their forties but if you are truly concerned, ask a fertility doctor for the facts. The fact is fertility declines drastically after 30. We have less eggs and many eggs are in bad shape by the late 30's. Other factors, like fibroids, polycystic ovaries and endometriosis can also contribute to infertility. A 30 year old women has a 30% chance of getting pregnant first try...by age 40 it down to a dismal 10%. 1.1 million women sought infertility treatments this past year. Infertility affects 1 in 8 couples. It is sad that many couples battle infertility in secret and spend a fortune in their attempts to conceive. The American Society for Reproductive Medicine ran a campaign some years ago to try to bring attention to aging and declining fertility but they pulled the campaign when women's rights groups protested. You can believe all you want that you can have it all, but 1.1 million of us are going to get a mighty fierce reality check.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Seems I'm still the youngest at 14 lol. Well I had my son at 14, was 13 when I got pregnant
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    47...sowed the wild oats first. Now @ 51 I have the motivation of keeping up with a 4 year old princess! You can see her in my pics.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Im 34 and have none. I planning to start at 36 or 37. Im ok with that.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Just had my first one 5 months ago at 25years old(just turned!). To me its prfect timing. I have done so much so i dont feel as tho im missing out on my "youth". I also wanted to b on the younger side. My hubby is 10 years older than me tho
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    28 and 30.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I had been 18 for not quite 2 weeks when I had my daughter and 20 when I had my son. That was a lifetime ago...I love them like crazy but that was really too young to have children. I think you are a far better parent when you are a little older. If I had it to do over again I would have waited until my late 20's or early 30's.
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was 28 when I had my daughter. You'll know when you are ready to have babies. Women of older generations had much different priorities then we do today. When you are both ready, go for it. No one should push, gently prod or dictate your biological needs but you. :)
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My daughter was born when I was 20. My husband was 31, and we had been married almost 3 years when she was born. Once I lose about 25 more pounds, we are going to be trying for number 2! I can very easily see us with 5+ children though, and it took us over 16 months to conceive my daughter (there was a miscarriage in that time, too) so I'm glad that I had my first young. I do wish my husband was a little younger, but we haven't found that fountain of youth yet. lol

I think it all ultimately comes down to what point you are at in your life. At 17 I was married, and we owned both our vehicles outright. By the time I was 19, we owned our own place rent/mortgage free, and definitely not because my husband had it together when I met him - I was the one who had it all together, and he's still getting there. lol. I graduated with my first degree when I was 20, and just a few months ago I decided to go back and continue my school even further. My husband also decided to go back to school this past January. We are in a good place right now, and we are also about to expand our home to accommodate more children. My husband doesn't make a lot of money, but we have chosen to live a very modest lifestyle in order to live our lives the way we do. Money is the one thing I'll never let get in the way of having children - in reality, they don't cost as much as you'd think (the first year can easily be done for under $800). Sure we won't have college funds for our kids, but I didn't have one and that didn't stop me from achieving my dreams.

My biggest fear before having my daughter was that I'd not be able to have children - that's another reason we decided to have children young. If you really want children, really think about the reasons holding you back, because it does get harder the older you get. People put off having kids because they want to have enough money, be established in a career, get a degree, buy a house, etc., etc., but when it comes down to it, what person is ever truly in the perfect place for children? There can always be something that can be done to improve your life, but kids are pretty flexible when it comes down to that sort of thing.
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of educated women are waiting to have children. When you are a little older and have had a chance to save some money to handle the extra expense of a child, I think it is easier. My generation had a lot more younger women having babies. The advantage of being younger is that you have more energy to run around with your toddlers. I had my children at 25, 28, and 37. To be honest, I think I was a better Mom at 37. I had a lot more knowlege. and I think I valued my position as a mother more. As I look back, when I had my first at 25, I was still a child myself in many ways. God bless you as you start your family...don't be discouraged about the chances of conception. With all the research that has been done, there are so many ways to make fertilization easier. (All the tests to tell you when you are fertile, etc.) By the way, I got pregnant with my third on the pill, so a lot of people get pregnant in their 30s just as easily as their 20s. :flowerforyou:
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was 30 with the first and 32 with the second :). I had no trouble getting pregnant either time, but my second child has Downs Syndrome. Not a significantly high risk at 32, but risks like this do get gradually higher once you are in your thirties. Having said that, she is a total joy to us and everyone who knows her :)x

My younger sister, however, started trying years before us and struggled to get pregnant - I think she was about 25 when she started trying and finally got pregnant when she was 31.....!

Everyone is different, so just make whatever decision you are both happiest with :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I was 18 when my son was born. I don't regret it for a second cause now I'm 36, my son is 18 & I am still very young enough to do what I want to do now. My son's biological father has never set eyes on him (his choice not ours) and I'm kinda grateful for that. He was a prick & not worth my time. MY husband raised my son from the age of 3. HE is the only man he has known as dad & that's all that matters to all of us.
  • Heatherz131
    Options
    Had my one and only at 38! He has kept me young and young at heart!

Had mine at 38 too...he took a long time to arrive!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I had mine at 27, 29 and 31.
    I already had an established career, had already travelled, and had been in a relationship with the same guy for 6 years (and married 1). I'm the only one in my family that's done things the 'right' way!!!
  • kndlkai1
    kndlkai1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My first was born on my 30th birthday, the next when I was 35, the third at 39, the last at 41. Good luck!!
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    my wife is the same age as me, we had our first at 37 and our second at 41( sleepless nights at this age are a bit harsh). are we the oldest?
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    19.. k probably should have waited longer, but no regrets!
  • claremillerphoto
    claremillerphoto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Had my son when I was 40! Great pregnancy & healthy boy! Had 3 miscarriages since so not looking good for any more so I guess I left it a bit late maybe.
  • lorna1002
    lorna1002 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    26 and 28 when i had my two, I'm 30 this year and don't plan on having any more.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    1st - He was 24; I was 23
    2nd - 27; 26
    3rd - 33; 31

Now ages 51 & 49 (50 in June) we're due to become first-time grandparents in September