Treadmill vs Elliptical

Options
I am trying to decide whether to buy a Treadmill or Elliptical. I know ellipticals are supposedly better on the joints. I know i can "run outside for free", but i need a machine to keep up with my calories burned. Any suggestions?

Replies

• savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like Elliptical because I am able to burn more calories.
  • naiomi85
    naiomi85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Do you have it on high resistance?
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    love my elliptical. i hate treadmills, id rather just run around my house or outside if i was going to do that to my knees (obviously i dont have the greatest knees lol) but for some reason i cant run right and cramp easy on treadmills
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Do you have it on high resistance?
    it engages upper body more therefore burning more cals :-)
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am trying to decide whether to buy a Treadmill or Elliptical. I know ellipticals are better on the joints. Any suggestions?

Elliptical.....but you will burn MORE with a spin bike!
    I hate treadmills...but mostly because they mess with my equilibrium! Every time I have ran, or walked on one..after I get off...I get kind of dizzy/lightheaded, and it really freaks me out!
    I can burn DOUBLE the calories on a spin bike, in an hour!
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Bowflex treadclimber. Best of both worlds! It really is a but kicker! I was doing an hour on an elliptical with the resistance in the mid range, but was only able to do about 20 min on the treadclimber. I burn more calories in less time too!
  • naiomi85
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys!
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you want a treadmill just to track calories when walking/running, just get a HRM and go outside. :)
  • naiomi85
    Options
    I am trying to decide whether to buy a Treadmill or Elliptical. I know ellipticals are better on the joints. Any suggestions?

I hate treadmills...but mostly because they mess with my equilibrium! Every time I have ran, or walked on one..after I get off...I get kind of dizzy/lightheaded, and it really freaks me out!

Spin bikes hurt my uh....crotch! I can't seem to get use to riding them, haha.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Depends on purpose, and what you enjoy.

You mention safety, and that is true, but by the same token, spin bike is even better on the joints - if you set it up correctly. Elliptical no such setup problem.

Elliptical better weight bearing, so better for bone density, spin not at all. Treadmill would be most as it is impacting.

For calories, as others have mentioned, you can probably get your HR the highest for the longest time, therefore the most calorie burn, on spin, and then elliptical, and then treadmill.

Spin bike you must provide your own variations, or watch CD where they tell you to make it harder, easier, spin faster, slower, ect.
    Elliptical you have programs to make it interesting, same as treadmill.

Then again, you may be very happy to sit/stand/run there at steady pace watching TV!

Also get a good fan to point right at you. HR running high because of overheat doesn't burn more calories, it just looks high.
  • naiomi85
    Options
    If you want a treadmill just to track calories when walking/running, just get a HRM and go outside. :)

I would actually LOVE to do that instead. My problem is i can't seem to find a good brand that works well. Every one i have tried never picks up my heart rate.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    buy a heart rate monitor....
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Agree!!! Spinning!!!!!
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I would actually LOVE to do that instead. My problem is i can't seem to find a good brand that works well. Every one i have tried never picks up my heart rate.

I have had my Polar HRM for 3 years....and I love it!!!!!!!!!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I looooooooove the elliptical! I was doing classes until I had to work and then started on the elliptical at the gym. people pass me as I am jammin out to Theory of a Deadman! I can make that sucker go really hard when I am really jamming! I would recommend getting a one week pass to a nearby gym so you can try them all. and when i use it I usually burn over 700 cals in like 45 min.sometimes more if I am doing intervals.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't like the elliptical - it makes my feet go numb. So, I would definitely buy a treadmill. I would get one with a lot of different levels, inclines and programs.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    All I'm gonna suggest, like some others on here, to make sure u get a HRM!!! I have the Polar FT40!! Order it off Ebay! This whole time I wasn't even burning HALF the calories I thought I was!!! Best investment EVER!!!!! :D U can't lose with it! And I am also buying an elliptical here right aways!!! Can't wait, I think I will enjoy it alot better than a treadmill!! So totally worth it<3 And it burns great calories!!

*But make sure it's one of those longer/bigger elliptical's. The smaller ones do not do the same trick, and hurt ur feet and stuff!! And u get a way better workout!
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would recommend treadmill but maybe I'm biased, I enjoy running and getting faster times each day. Or sometimes I just want to walk and I hate going outside because jerks from cars like to yell out rude things or it's raining or there's too many hills. My dad bought me an eliptical and I absolutely hate it. Most of the time I don't feel like doing the awkward movements it forces me to do so I'll get off of it sooner than I would on a treadmill. And I know everyone has a point with it being harder on your joints, but heavy impact workout is also good for strengthening your bones. Butttttt, this is all my personal expierence :)
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    I looooooooove the elliptical! I was doing classes until I had to work and then started on the elliptical at the gym. people pass me as I am jammin out to Theory of a Deadman! I can make that sucker go really hard when I am really jamming! I would recommend getting a one week pass to a nearby gym so you can try them all. and when i use it I usually burn over 700 cals in like 45 min.sometimes more if I am doing intervals.

Wooohoooo!!! This sounds sooo Encouraging!!! Hahah! Can't wait to burn those calories!! :D
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would invest in a HRM. Its good to have around for when you do want to walk/run outside. Elliptical all the way!!!! I get a better work out on it and I burn DLB the calories. Its so much easier on my joints. Its what works best for you.