Best Running Shoes?

Options
nnylee
nnylee Posts: 814 Member
My Adidas running shoes are falling apart now and I was never a huge fan of them. Looking to invest in some new running shoes. Personal favorites? Recommendations? I'm thinking my budget is $100ish.

Replies

• cyntcynt77
    cyntcynt77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Asics! My daughter is a running.. she runs marathons and she helped me pick out a pair of Asics last fall at Kohls. They are light, comfortable and durable. I love them. I like New Balance too, but Asics are much more comfortable for walking and running. Outback Sports has a sale on them until March 7 approx. $70! Good Luck!
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Asics! My daughter is a running.. she runs marathons and she helped me pick out a pair of Asics last fall at Kohls. They are light, comfortable and durable. I love them. I like New Balance too, but Asics are much more comfortable for walking and running. Outback Sports has a sale on them until March 7 approx. $70! Good Luck!

Thank you!! I will try them out!!
  • ia2ca
    ia2ca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    X2 on asics. Look for GT2160's, they're on sale everywhere for $70 right now since they're the 2011 model, and are a runners world editor's choice.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I loved my Saucony's...light and very cushiony/comfy for running.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I love my vibrams!!!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I love my vibrams!!!
    this
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Not fabulous by any means, but I do love my rebook zigs.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Nike Pegasus.

Have you been fitted by a specialty running shop? If not, I highly recommend it. I bought, wore once and returned a TON (Asics, Sacony (sp?), Adidas, New Balance, etc) of shoes before I finally caved and went in to be fitted. They said I hit very evenly on my entire shoe and that a neutral running shoe would be best. They recommended the Nike. I have to tell you, having the right shoes? Changed my life -- both while working out AND at work (I work on my feet and was struggling terribly with foot pain).

So, I say -- don't listen to all of us, go and find out what is best for YOU. :)

Good Luck.
  • DreamiJeani
    Options
    I LOVE my New Balance Minimus and my Vibrams
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my New Balance Minimus and my Vibrams

Here here! Super light and laces don't come off mid-run. Love 'em!
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Asics Gel Noosa Tri 7's
  • Kendrafujiwara
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said go get fitted. I ended up with a brand I never heard of (can't think of it right now), but they are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned, period. And they were less than I budgeted for, about $80. Also, I ended up with new socks. I thought I was pretty educated about running, but somehow didn't know cotton socks can lead to blisters. I splurged on 3 $10/pair of socks with my shoes and then ran a half-marathon the next month with not one blister. Amazing.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said go get fitted. I ended up with a brand I never heard of (can't think of it right now), but they are the most comfortable running shoes I've ever owned, period. And they were less than I budgeted for, about $80. Also, I ended up with new socks. I thought I was pretty educated about running, but somehow didn't know cotton socks can lead to blisters. I splurged on 3 $10/pair of socks with my shoes and then ran a half-marathon the next month with not one blister. Amazing.

I also learned about different socks when I went in to be fitted. I buy .. dang it, I think they are Thorlo (sp?) brand and I LOVE THEM! They have cushion in the heels and ball of my feet. Plus, they keep my feet dry. :)
  • whiteangelrose69
    Options
    I have to tell you, I have been working at a shoe store for the past 3 years... I have tried on just about every running shoe that came in my store (Nike, Asics, Puma, New Balance, Saucony, etc) and I have still not found my magic shoe... I had a pair of k-swiss tubes which i was in love with but the heels broke and i got horrible blisters, my asics (i want to say the gel enduro they are black and pink) are my favorite but i cant speed walk or anything (i am training for the susan g koman 60 mile walk and the 5k color run)... I just purchased my first pair of addidas... so none the less each shoe eventually has a down fall... if youre willing to spend the money on a great shoe, i agree with the few above... go get fitted because you may not realize that you need a specific shoe (like the Kelly Ripa shoes which are good for those who pronate)
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my free runs!! I was reluctant b/c they are so light that my knees would be killing me...but I love them!!!
  • BradyMommy
    BradyMommy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    X2 on asics. Look for GT2160's, they're on sale everywhere for $70 right now since they're the 2011 model, and are a runners world editor's choice.

I bought a pair of these when I started my c25k training. I went to a running store and the guy there was fabulous! I tried on about a dozen pairs and LOVED these!! I've never had more comfortable shoes.

But honestly, it's totally worth it to go and get fitted. What works on my feet may not be at all right for yours.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have had Asics Kayanos for the past few years and swear by them, they are a little pricey but last forever and hold up to hundreds and hundreds of road miles.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Nothing is for everyone. Go to a running store and have them fit you on a treadmill. Call ahead to find out when they're not busy. If you go on a sunny Saturday morning, every euphoric runner within a 10 mile radius will be in there and there's no way you'll get good service. But go on a rainy Thursday evening, and you'll get more than enough assistance ;-)
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Seconding the recommendation for New Balance Minimus shoes.. Very light and comfortable. I agree with the other suggestions - go get fitted, but keep those in mind if/when you go :)
  • shoremedic
    shoremedic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best running shoes are the ones that fit your feet.
    Go to a running specialty store. The folks there are usually trained to examine your gait. They also know the type of last on which running shoes are built, so they can filter through the ones that won't fit your foot. ALL specialty running stores will let you go outside and run in the shoes you're trying on. That's why they want to get you down to two or three pair that will work for you.
    Most importantly, go in to the store with an idea of what to look for so you can work with the person in getting you into the right shoes. Check out the shoe finder page on the Runner's World web site. They explain how to find out what kind of feet you have (sounds funny, but we're all different), as well as going fairly in depth as to the different shoe components and how they're manufactured. If you're not happy with your shoes you won't run; or worse, you'll hurt yourself.
    Plus you'll find out all the good places to run and you'll almost certainly find people at your ability level to keep you on the road to good health.
    Even with all the expertise, no one can tell exactly what a running shoe is going to feel like on YOUR foot 5 miles into a run. So you may have to tinker a bit. Unfortunately it will probably cost you about $100 per tinker. It's kind of like buying car tires. They look snazzy, have all the specs, but at 20,000 miles they really don't fit your driving style.
    My search started at my local specialty store after I quit smoking (23 years) and gained a bunch of weight (30 lbs). Since then I've run dozens of 5Ks, 10Ks, 5 Half Marathons and 2 Marathons. I would have laughed if you told me that the morning before I walked into that store.
    BTW, I personally wear ASICS GT2160, because I'm heavier, with average arches, and I overpronate. Good luck!