I think my calorie limit may be a bit off?

Options
So, I usually eat around 1000 calories a day, or at least try to. When I had it set to lose 2 lbs/week it was 950 limit- warning me of starvation mode- and now ive changed it to 1.5/week and its something like 1200.... I can easily eat this much don't get me wrong. Just I only seem to see weight loss if I eat more like 900 cals a day, if I eat this, I honestly don't feel like I am going to lose weight at all. I feel like I will just keep it how it is and put on. Can anyone help? I'm 18, 5' 4" and 133 at the moment. it says i will reach my goal of 109 by mid june.... i feel like eating this many calories just isnt going to get me there, can anyone help?

Replies

• ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If you eat so little a day it will slow down your metabolism like crazy, so you definitely will not be able to keep the weight off even if you lose it. How active are you?

I was in the same mindset and ate under 1000 calories per day and lost 10 lbs and was really happy with my body but I was always hungry and had no energy, just focused on that end-weight goal. Then gained 10+ back super fast when I ate a normal calorie diet (to maintain my "happy" weight) because my metabolism was so slow.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So, I usually eat around 1000 calories a day, or at least try to. When I had it set to lose 2 lbs/week it was 950 limit- warning me of starvation mode- and now ive changed it to 1.5/week and its something like 1200.... I can easily eat this much don't get me wrong. Just I only seem to see weight loss if I eat more like 900 cals a day, if I eat this, I honestly don't feel like I am going to lose weight at all. I feel like I will just keep it how it is and put on. Can anyone help? I'm 18, 5' 4" and 133 at the moment. it says i will reach my goal of 109 by mid june.... i feel like eating this many calories just isnt going to get me there, can anyone help?

You've killed your healthy metabolism potential, that free burn you get every day by your body just taking care of the needs for basic life just sleeping.

Your healthy estimated BMR for those functions is 1534, which means you are losing out on a good 500 calories of free burn every day.

But your BMR is not really that high, you've gotten it down to probably under 1000. Which means you do NOT in reality have a 1.5 lb loss deficit per week, because your body has just slowed down to compensate for being underfed.

True, not starvation mode, but body is trying to avoid that by slowing down.

If you like you could probably eat less and make it go even slower. Still won't lose anything except for maybe a week or two, then you'll be stuck again.

Here's example of what fun you could have.
    http://www.exrx.net/Questions/StarvationEffect.html

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004). A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.:frown:
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).:sick:
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).:smokin:
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.:happy:

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.
  • mk345
    mk345 Posts: 24
    Options
    yeah thats actually really similar to me, and well i'm a student, sitting in class from 8 to 220 and I used to have 2 hour field hockey practices in the fall daily and then workout more after and then i switched to swimming in the winter with one hour practices and then i would workout more after too (running, elliptical, weights etc) and lately i have been very busy and not been able to, however tennis season is approaching so i will be playing tennis daily. so at the moment i am not active at all.
  • mk345
    Options

You've killed your healthy metabolism potential, that free burn you get every day by your body just taking care of the needs for basic life just sleeping.

Your healthy estimated BMR for those functions is 1534, which means you are losing out on a good 500 calories of free burn every day.

But your BMR is not really that high, you've gotten it down to probably under 1000. Which means you do NOT in reality have a 1.5 lb loss deficit per week, because your body has just slowed down to compensate for being underfed.

If you like you could probably eat less and make it go even slower. Still won't lose anything except for maybe a week or two, then you'll be stuck again.

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004). A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.:frown:
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).:sick:
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).:smokin:
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.:happy:

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.
    okok so im sorry i cant even understand what youre trying to tell me? is this fixable or am i permanently messed up..
  • mk345
    Options

okok so im sorry i cant even understand what youre trying to tell me? is this fixable or am i permanently messed up..
    alsoo, upon doing some research most of metabolism recovery i see is long term eating disorders, i assure you i ate plenty really. there were probably less than 30 days total in the past year where i ate under 1000. i dont think that would have that lasting of effects?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your calorie intake up and try doing little things throughout the day to stay active. http://www.youtube.com/user/BlogilatesTV?feature=chclk this got me started. I also made some posters of short workouts and hung them around my apartment so when I'm watching tv I just roll out a mat in front of it and do some crunches/push-ups, etc.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: You need 1200 calories or more to keep your body healthy. If it's suggesting you eat 1350, that's based on your daily activity level and it's what you need.

Of course, fill those calories with healthy foods. Not crap.
  • In_Control
    Options
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    please eat more. it's not worth what you will do to your resting metabolism. i know from experience.
  • showmeskinnynow
    Options
    Eat 6 times a day and maybe make your snacks protein, this will stop any hunger pains and also get your metabolism going! It really works.......
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Why is it important to get to your goal weight by mid June? I realize it's summer but weight loss isn't a competition and eating too little will sabotage your efforts. It really is best to eat your calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

alsoo, upon doing some research most of metabolism recovery i see is long term eating disorders, i assure you i ate plenty really. there were probably less than 30 days total in the past year where i ate under 1000. i dont think that would have that lasting of effects?

But this is the direction you want to go, right?
    You want to eat at 900 calories because you think it will provide weight loss.
    And then you want to play tennis everyday after school and compound the problem by using most of those 900 calories on the exercise, leaving precious little for your precious body to live on.

You can go look up what your healthy estimated BMR could be, if you don't underfeed it.
    You gave enough info for me to look it up - 1534.

if you can easily and constantly eat under that amount, then that is not your true BMR, you have already suppressed it.
  • karisma81
    karisma81 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A few months is so little compared to the rest of your life. How about if you take a little bit longer to lose the weight so that you reduce your chances of gaining it back.