body pump class and muscle bulk?

Options
I was hoping to get some opinions on body pump classes . I love this class and what it’s doing to tone my body from my waist up. I’ve started back at the gym about a month ago and was doing body pump only (no cardio) about 2-3 times a week.

I noticed my thighs bulking up even using the lowest weight so I started doing the elliptical machine on the lowest incline and resistance for some cardio prior to the body pump class a week and a half ago. My thighs still seem to be bulking up and this is NOT what I want. I’m looking to tone my thighs only. I’m starting to wonder what I’m doing wrong.

I did speak with the instructor and she asked how long I’ve been taking the class and I explained for a little over 3 weeks and 2-3 times per week and she said to give it another month. I’m also not loosing any weight, it‘s staying the same. I know muscle weighs more than fat and that muscles bulk and then start to shrink but I feel like (so do my jeans) they are not shrinking only getting thicker. I can see the slim muscle in the front of my thighs but the backs of them are thick.

I’m wondering how long will this take and am I doing something wrong? Is anyone having the same issue?

It’s very frustrating! thank you in advance for any feedback! :)

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are eating at a deficit, so it would be very hard for you to build any muscle.

Also you are only doing cardio, so now it is EXTREMELY hard for you to build any muscle. (body pump is cardio, even though you are holding weights, you are not weight lifting)

If you are wanting to build some muscle, learn how to squat, dead-lift, thruster, bench press, overhead press, bent row, pull up, dip, clean&jerk, snatch. Do these with the heaviest weight possible without breaking form.

If you only want a stronger cardiovascular system, keep running and doing your cardio classes.

If this is the first while you've worked on in a long time it is most likely water weight. Your body is being stressed so its holding onto more water for necessary repairs.

I feel like my advice will fall on deaf ears, but cut some of the cardio and start lifting. Lift more than you do cardio. Unless you are training for a marathon you don't need that much cardio.

No you won't "bulk up" you are a woman, you don't have the genetics to "bulk up". Even a man has to lift and eat proficiently for a year at least to even look bigger than the average gym rat.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are eating at a deficit, so it would be very hard for you to build any muscle.

Also you are only doing cardio, so now it is EXTREMELY hard for you to build any muscle. (body pump is cardio, even though you are holding weights, you are not weight lifting)

If you are wanting to build some muscle, learn how to squat, dead-lift, thruster, bench press, overhead press, bent row, pull up, dip, clean&jerk, snatch. Do these with the heaviest weight possible without breaking form.

If you only want a stronger cardiovascular system, keep running and doing your cardio classes.

If this is the first while you've worked on in a long time it is most likely water weight. Your body is being stressed so its holding onto more water for necessary repairs.

I feel like my advice will fall on deaf ears, but cut some of the cardio and start lifting. Lift more than you do cardio. Unless you are training for a marathon you don't need that much cardio.

No you won't "bulk up" you are a woman, you don't have the genetics to "bulk up". Even a man has to lift and eat proficiently for a year at least to even look bigger than the average gym rat.

You know, the dozen or so of us who say the same thing in every one of these threads just needs to have a standard response to cut and paste...it will save a ton of time :P.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring this bulking? Are you gaining weight? Inches?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

All this or take Anabolic steriods.

Also a pound of muscle and a pound fat weigh the same, a pound.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well, I disagree, I consider body pump weight lifting...

I'd say listen to the instructor. My personal experience is that I didn't see any major difference in my legs (I do cardio, weight lifting, and tons of yoga) even as I lost weight. And then BAM just this last week I noticed they're a lot more toned.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I'd say listen to the instructor. My personal experience is that I didn't see any major difference in my legs (I do cardio, weight lifting, and tons of yoga) even as I lost weight. And then BAM just this last week I noticed they're a lot more toned.
    Even though you may use "weights", the class is purely aerobic. There is nothing anaerobic about Body Pump.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry, your thighs are not actually growing!

If you take actual measurements now, and a month from now... I guarantee they'll have shrunk!
    The work makes your muscles retain water to help them cope with soreness and heal faster. After a workout, and a few days afterwards you'll feel and maybe even look like they grew but trust me its only water. That will go away, my legs have been shrinking even though my muscles are way more noticeable and defined.

Keep up the work Girly and don't make the mistake many women make and drop the work because of natural initial changes!
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Even though you may use "weights", the class is purely aerobic. There is nothing anaerobic about Body Pump.

I still disagree. But it's ok that we have different opinions :smile:
  • addisondisease2
    Options

I still disagree. But it's ok that we have different opinions :smile:

Its fine if you disagree, but science will tell you that body pump is cardio, deal with it.
  • Mufinz
    Options
    Rae6503 and snookumss since I started working out I've gained a few pounds around 3lbs. I did not do measurements prior to starting. I did this week though and plan to continue that weekly. I don't want to stop what I'm doing just frustrated with not loosing any weight while I'm doing the right thing watching what I'm eating and going to the gym. I understand why people give up but I don't want to do that. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and will keep weighing and doing measurements and maybe one day my body will get it.

Thanks again :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    The 3lbs is most likely water weight, and any increase in size is probably swelling. Take 2 rest days in a row, drink lots of water, keep your salt lowish and see where you are at. It should all be temporary and could even be hiding some real weight loss.

Gaining muscle (or "bulk") is VERY hard for men and even harder for women because we don't have nearly as much testosterone. I know because I've been trying. I've been eating nearly 3000 calories a day and lifting heavy 4 days a week (squats at 95lbs, deads at 155, bench at 85). In 4 months I've only gained 10lbs and some of that is fat.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've just started the "New Rules of Lifting for Women" program. I'd recommend checking it out. He definitely dispels the myths about lifting-and-bulking, toning, sculpting, etc.

I know this doesn't help, but I'm so jealous to hear that you're gaining muscle!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are doing too much body pump. I only do it once a week, and I don't believe body pump is an aerobic class. There is nothing aerobic about it.
  • CarisseMak
    Options
    I just wanted to weigh in on this topic. I am a Body Pump instructor and Body Pump is NOT cardio, it is resistance training. The reason for bulking up, is the layer of fat tissue (adipose) covering the muscle tissue. Make sure the diet is clean with carbs not being too high. Contrary to popular belief, females lifting heavy will not cause us to look like Arnold. Three factors come in to play for building muscle - testosterone, volume of training, and calories.

Keep the cardio going, but challenge yourself. Trim the legs with the stepmill, running, and PUSHING it on the elliptical. THESE are all cardiovascular. Make sure the diet is clean and keep the resistance training going. GO HEAVY!!

Hope this helps! :)
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    I just wanted to weigh in on this topic. I am a Body Pump instructor and Body Pump is NOT cardio, it is resistance training.

You may be moving weight around, but the whole class is aerobic based, not anaerobic. Go ahead and Google the definition of each word so you can stop living in ignorance.

Just yesterday i did 30 minuets of Pendlay Rows, DB C&J, and Front BB split squats. All of these lifts are considered weight lifting, yet because I used a metabolic-conditioning approach, that whole half hour was cardio.

Sorry if you felt attacked in any way, but please don't try and teach any more broscience. It isn't helpful to the MFP community.
  • mbourke8
    Options
    If you wear a HRM during class you will see that this is a cardio class, although not high intensity cardio. I take BP at the YMCA and they classify it as a Cardio + Strength class, because there are some components of resistance training to it, especially if you lift with high weight.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I was searching for Body Pump threads and found this. I wondered if the research I found online about it was correct.

For my weight (approx 150lb) apparently I apparently burn around 348cals for a 50 minute class (NB. I would rather under estimate than over estimate cals burned, so I always subtract 10 mins for every class I do at the gym).

I do not own an HRM (intend to get one when I've saved enough ££ for a Polar) so for those who use an HRM, what are the average cals you guys burn (for your weight)?

Any answers would be appreciated, thanks.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    anyone able to help with this?
  • jgibson2
    jgibson2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • jgibson2
    jgibson2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to weigh in on this topic. I am a Body Pump instructor and Body Pump is NOT cardio, it is resistance training.

You may be moving weight around, but the whole class is aerobic based, not anaerobic. Go ahead and Google the definition of each word so you can stop living in ignorance.

Just yesterday i did 30 minuets of Pendlay Rows, DB C&J, and Front BB split squats. All of these lifts are considered weight lifting, yet because I used a metabolic-conditioning approach, that whole half hour was cardio.

Sorry if you felt attacked in any way, but please don't try and teach any more broscience. It isn't helpful to the MFP community.

Thank you for this!!!