I have prediabetes.

Options
After two pregnancies with gestational diabetes and a family history that's full of Type 2 (including both of my parents), I officially have prediabetes. I discovered this three days ago and it scared the heck out of me. I immediately started dieting and exercising and am happy to say that I've already lost some weight. I have a long way to go to be healthy again, but having diabetes looming over me is really motivational! I hope that losing weight and getting fit will stave off full-blown diabetes for awhile (or forever...), but even if it doesn't, I want to be healthier for myself and to set a better example for my kids.

Right now, I'm eating about 1300-1500 calories per day and am exercising daily by walking, doing the 30 Day Shred, and/or playing Just Dance 3. I'm pretty sure we're going to join the Y tomorrow so I can start taking some of their classes as well. I'm stuck in my house for over 12 hours each day because I run an in-home daycare, so my class selection will be extremely limited, but something is better than nothing!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to you all. Good luck with your weight loss journeys!!

Replies

• allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options
    I wanted to ask, what kind of diet did you guys commit yourself to after finding out your have prediabetes? I've been doing some reading and definitely commiting to cutting sodas, and sweets are helpful. They also said to cut back on carbs, but I love rice! I've also been experiencing some hairloss, and I was wondering if that has a corrolation to me having prediabetes, have any of you experience this? Thanks for your feedback!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Check out / dlife.com
  • Dcullen73
    Dcullen73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you willing to switch to brown rice? I LOVE white bread/rice type carbs, but because of the prediabetes I have almost completely switched over to all whole wheat/whole grain type carbs. Your boby has to work harder to break it down, it gives you the fiber you need to balance everything, and it doesn't give you the sharp peaks and valleys in your blood sugar.