Favourite way to cook aspargus?

Options
2»

Replies

• Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Steam it and then squeeze a fresh lemon over the top. Super good, not much calories :)
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Honestly? Wrapped in bacon and grilled. It's phenomenal.

But I usually roast it in the oven with some garlic and olive oil.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Drenched in butter/oil and cooked on the bbq.......I only eat it on cheat days or when camping because this way it is quite unhealthy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    400 degree oven. Toss in olive oil. Lay flat on a pan. Sprinkle salt, pepper and any other spice you think sounds good and bake for 25-35 minutes (depending on thickness).
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Grilled with EVOO, parmesan, garlic salt, lemon pepper, basil, oregano, thyme...yummy!!
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Fresh from our garden, steamed 2 min, served with1/4 cup vanilla yogurt.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I trim it, put it in a baggie with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, chopped red onion, chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Then I stick it in the fridge for a couple hours. After letting it sit for awhile I grill it till it's bright green and a slightly tender
    ba895852.jpg
  • Brandilynnrose
    Options
    Roasted in the oven with some olive oil, sea salt, and garlic (either fresh minced, or just some garlic powder.)

Sprayed lightly with olive oil cooking spray and then grilled.

Lightly coated in reduced fat parmesan cheese and finely mined garlic then baked in the oven with a few teaspoons of olive oil.

I also love to cut it into 1 inch pieces, sautee it in a teaspoon or two of olive oil, and scamble some eggs in (and you can add additional veggies- I like red onion, spinach, bell peppers, and mushrooms with the asparagus.)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Last night I had a great pasta dish at a local restaurant that I think I may replicate-- it was angel hair pasta, shrimp, asparagus, and roasted garlic cloves in a white wine and olive oil sauce.

As far as things I've made I really like this rice recipe:

2 tbsp margarine, melt in pan
    Add 1/4 cup slivered almonds, cook until lightly browned
    Add 1 cup rice and 1 1/2- 2 cups chicken broth, cook until rice is almost done
    Add one bunch asparagus, cut into pieces, cook until tender

When I'm in a hurry I grill it in my George Foreman grill with nonstick spray, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Maybe not my favorite, but certainly EASY if you're crunched for time is to put it in a microwave safe dish and cover with about an inch of water. Then microwave on high for approximately 4 minutes.
  • littledeak
    littledeak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make an egg white omelet. When the whites are cooked I put a couple of spears of asparagus, a touch of cheese, and a little tomato on the omelet. Then I put a lid on the pan and let the heat steam the asparagus. Really good.

Absolute favorite is raw.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you have room in the sodium department - I wrap the asparagus with Proscuitto and then bake it in the oven for 5-10 minutes win!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    On the BBQ with a drizzle of olive oil & garlic powder.

2nd choice - steamed with a little no salt butter.
  • Jazzmagic
    Jazzmagic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Simply steam or boil till cooked then a tiny knob of butter dropped on top. x
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    throw those things on the grill after sprinkling them with a little walnut oil and some lemon juice!! add salt or mrs. dash to taste... SO YUMMY!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Wrapped in bacon and grilled. It's phenomenal.

But I usually roast it in the oven with some garlic and olive oil.

OMG same!!!!!
  • DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Straight from the field with baby new potatoes & crispy bacon with butter drizzled all over the top, those were the days ...... Now steamed with a peice of fish ho hum
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Toss asparagus with Olive Oil and Sugar and then grill. The sugar carmalizes and makes the asparagus nice and sweet. It's one of my favorite ways to serve it.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Drenched in butter/oil and cooked on the bbq.......I only eat it on cheat days or when camping because this way it is quite unhealthy.

Have you tried it with the fat free parkay butter spray? My family loves this stuff!