Need running shoes

Options
Okay...so I've recently started the C25K program and have been doing a lot of jogging walking in the neighborhood and on the treadmill. I've effectively worn holes in my old workout shoes, and I know I need a new pair. But I'm having a hard time swallowing the pill of spending $100+ to get fitted for a "real" pair of running shoes. I did buy a pair back in '08, but I can't remember whether I am an overpronator or an underpronator...so I'll have to get checked out again.

My question is this...does it really make THAT much of a difference in your stride and in the level of comfort during and after runs? I've never been a runner before, so I have nothing to compare with in the past. Right now my legs don't hurt terribly after I'm done a run...just a bit sore that evening and into the next day. Especially my achilles tendon area and my knees. But that's expected after a 3 mile run, especially for someone who has never run much before!

Just looking for some opinions from new and experienced runners alike :) Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My question is this...does it really make THAT much of a difference in your stride and in the level of comfort during and after runs?

YES. It really, really does (or did) for me.

I really really suggest you go into a specialty store and figure out which pair you like. Though I would say that you should support the local running store, you COULD go in, get fitted, then make a note of the brand and model (discretely) and go order it online.

But you really need to find the shoes for YOU. Not all shoes are created equally. Find what works for you. This will save you miles and miles of discomfort and help prevent injuries. Seriously. Don't skimp on shoes if you're going to run. Save money on shirts, shorts, etc. But NOT shoes!

Happy running!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I did my research and found the right type of shoe for me. I overpronate, have flat feet and I am heavy. I get motion control type shoes and they average 100-130$ a pair I started the C25K @ 400+lbs. it's very worth it. Besides being stubborn I give the shoes all the credit.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Just bought a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus 12. They were on sale (last year's model) and are lighter than air. I don't even feel them on my feet. I've seen them on the internet for about $80.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    We do have a running store right near me, and it's where I went last time to get fitted. They were very helpful and it was very personalized service. They filmed me running on the treadmill and showed me the analysis. It was very interesting!! I just wish I could remember what they told me! Haha...
  • jbrinda1
    jbrinda1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Running without pain or injury requires good shoes. Do the right thing and go to a Fleet Feet or other running store in your area and get fitted properly with a good pair of shoes. I know many running stores have treadmills with cameras now and they can analyze your gait and help get you in the right shoe. Once you figure out the best type of shoe for you, you can get your next pair cheaply online. I buy tons of running gear on line. Best price/value is roadrunnersports.com. If you join the vip club, which is often on sale for $1.99, you get free rush shipping, 10% off all orders and sometimes up to 25% off, plus 90 days to return them, no matter what, Very few running stores will take shoes back after they've been worn, and 90 days is like a lifetime if you run a lot. Also great deals can be had at Holabirdsports.com. There are many others, but those are two of the best and i probably buy 90% of my shoes from those two web sites. I run marathons, if you need running motivation or advice, friend me. Good luck!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. I bought a pair of Nimbus 13 (Asics) that I love but need more arch support. A few friends told me to get fitted and I didnt - now I wish I had because I spent good money on those shoes. However, even though I need more arch support, my knees and ankles do not hurt like they did when I was wearing my old running shoes.
  • miniragtop
    miniragtop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've run 5K off and on throughout my weight loss journey (65 lbs down total) and shoes make a HUGE difference. Getting fit for the shoes is the key and good insoles are also a big part of the fit of the shoe. The insoles that come with shoes are basically a waste of material and offer no support (they are designed to be generic enough to fit the masses).

Plan for plenty of time when you got to get fitted. The sales person should want you to walk around the store and maybe even jog outside a bit to watch how you walk/run to help determine the best shoe for you. Don't worry about the name brand or the colors on the shoe either. Just be open to whatever fits your foot and stride the best.

Also, remember to replace the shoes when you start noticing little aches and pains that you haven't had before. This is your body's way of telling you the shoes are breaking down and not providing the support you need.

I just got a new pair a couple of weeks ago for my first 1/2 marathon on March 10th! This latest pair are the lightest and best ones I've ever had and I love them!
  • miniragtop
    miniragtop Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fleet Feet is the best! Their staff in Nashville is very knowledgable and super friendly.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just bought a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus 12. They were on sale (last year's model) and are lighter than air. I don't even feel them on my feet. I've seen them on the internet for about $80.

I just bought Sketchers new running shoes GoRun, and they are GREAT!! Like the person mentioned above, they are designed to be VERY light. They were $80
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOO important to have a shoe that is right for you. I change out my shoes every 450 miles...yes i count my miles on my shoes. I notice right away when my shoes are worn out. Get fit tested and find the shoe right for you. If you want after you are tested go home and find the pair they suggest online for a better deal.

Good luck and Happy Running!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good pair of shoes can really make a huge difference. My husband (who's done multiple marathons) loves his Asics, and that's what I have currently as well. I've also really liked New Balance and Saucony. Never been a fan of Nikes for running, and a lot of other people will say the same, but yeah go to your running store and see what they recommend :) Good luck!
  • denisehoust5
    denisehoust5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!!! What is the C25K?
  • brandi_b
    brandi_b Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you don't know your gait, it's very important to get properly fitted. I'm a severe overpronator, but I would have never known that on my own.

Another point for the small, locally-owned running store. You'll most often get fantastic customer service. I got fitted last August, and it was the first time I was told I wasn't an overpronator. They didn't get worn much after I bought them until I got serious about running again in January. A few weeks in, and I had a lot of aches and pains after runs so I went back in fully expecting to ditch the neutral shoes and buy a pair of stability ones like I'd had in the past. I told the guy the story, and he put me on the treadmill and immediately deemed I should've been wearing the stability ones all along. He swapped them out for FREE! Well, almost free. I just paid the $10 difference since my new shoes were a bit more expensive. I had no receipt, and I'd owned them for months (though they'd only been worn for about a month) AND had run outside in them several times. That experience made me a customer for life.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Okay...so I've recently started the C25K program and have been doing a lot of jogging walking in the neighborhood and on the treadmill. I've effectively worn holes in my old workout shoes, and I know I need a new pair. But I'm having a hard time swallowing the pill of spending $100+ to get fitted for a "real" pair of running shoes. I did buy a pair back in '08, but I can't remember whether I am an overpronator or an underpronator...so I'll have to get checked out again.

My question is this...does it really make THAT much of a difference in your stride and in the level of comfort during and after runs? I've never been a runner before, so I have nothing to compare with in the past. Right now my legs don't hurt terribly after I'm done a run...just a bit sore that evening and into the next day. Especially my achilles tendon area and my knees. But that's expected after a 3 mile run, especially for someone who has never run much before!

Just looking for some opinions from new and experienced runners alike :) Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

My two cents is that it matters that your shoes get fitted properly no matter what you're doing in them. I'm disabled and walk with crutches, so I don't run, but making sure my shoes are fit by a professional ensures that I'm comfortable and can walk as much as possible. Shoes are expensive. Most women don't blink at buying expensive dress shoes, but seem to think their athletic and everyday shoes don't matter. I think just the opposite is true.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good pair of shoes can really make a huge difference. My husband (who's done multiple marathons) loves his Asics, and that's what I have currently as well. I've also really liked New Balance and Saucony. Never been a fan of Nikes for running, and a lot of other people will say the same, but yeah go to your running store and see what they recommend :) Good luck!

There's a reason for that. The guy who fits my shoes says Nike's are fashion shoes. If they're fit properly, they'll probably feel good for a short time, but they don't have the quality build to keep supporting you for a long time. Same for Reebok. He only recommends Saucony and New Balance.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Shoes are critical. They provide stability, cusion, support, and protection. Go get fitted.

As for the cost well... they don't have to be THAT expensive. Also, a lot of stores offer discounts if you are a member of your local running club. They may have year end models that they're trying to get rid of, etc. If cash is tight, explain to them what you want to spend. They may offer a discount or be able to order something similar at a lower price. In fact, I've had a lot of luck just saying "this product is out of my comfort zone for what I can afford to spend".