What do you do for soreness after workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    ENJOY/EMBRACE it. Strength/body building requires a love of the soreness. Eventually, if you don't feel it, you start thinking, "Do I need to amp up my game or change my routine?" I love muscle soreness. What I don't like is jogging/running sorness or achy joints and shinsplints.

You can definitely take supplements to help "recovery". But without pushing yourself, you can't escape the sorness.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts - definitely! I also have a hot/cold pack that heats up in the microwave that I use for my neck and shoulders that works really well. I also use it on my knees if I am REALLY sore the next day.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I usually soak in a bathtub full of Epsom Salts.

Make sure the water is as hot as you can tolerate and put in abuot two cups of Epsom salts. I usually bring in a glass of water with me too because the hot water and salts are drawing out all the toxins and it can be dehydrating.

Soak for at least 30mins...relax....unwind.

Afterwards make sure to moisturize and massage your aching muscles. :)

^^ This!
  • gracie_nc
    gracie_nc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After a good session at the gym I like to take my swimsuit, stretch some in the pool (85 degrees) then into the hot tub for about 10 minutes. Be sure you are staying hydrated -- dehydration can cause issues!! Best of Luck!!
  • sandybeachez
    sandybeachez Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I stretch after the workout and use foam roller too. And take a hot, hot shower. You can take advil.

The roller foam is my new best friend. I spend at least a half an hour stretching out everything. i am def getting one for home.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I like to stretch just to feel more pain. I LOVE the pain of being sore. Sometimes I feel like I didnt use some muscle for a certain workout, but then when I start working out the muscles I thought I hadnt used start to hurt. :laugh: I dont take anything I ride it out. :heart:

i have to agree i love the sore now! i use to hate it but now I love to have that reminder that I'm doing something good. Of coarse I still love hot showers but a massage would be nice too lol!

I have to agree...the feeling of muscles that have been used is a satisfying feeling
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    yoga!
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, working out lightly the next day to get blood flowing in that area helps with soreness. Foam rolling helps. Massage helps (even from amateurs). And I've found that soreness gets less as you get more in shape. I don't get nearly as sore as I used to. Supposedly cold baths and showers or alternating hot/cold showers are supposed to help prevent soreness after a workout, so after your next workout you can try a cold shower. I haven't tried it yet, but I have seen them do it on the biggest loser after hard workouts. So it might actually work. And I have read on some articles it should work to stop you from getting sore to begin with. Other than that, OTC pain reliever.
  • Glact
    Glact Posts: 9
    Options
    Milk is great for a drink but shouldnt be a recovery drink or even 30 mins after a workout, milk actually limits the amount of recovery, i dont know the complete science behind it so this might not sound official but in a nut shell and in my own words it basically limits the amount of muscle recovery by blocking almost the same way milk coats the stomach it coats the muscles and doesnt allow a full breakdown and recovery which will actually slow the gain in muscle.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do you have a balance ball? For sore shoulders and back, stretches with the balance ball always help me!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That is a tough spot! I usually stand with my legs together and bend over as far as I can to let my back stretch out - sometimes it takes a couple minutes but if you breathe and relax, you can feel your back muscles loosen up a bit. You can also stretch that area by laying on your back and bringing your knees to your chest.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I embrace it - it tells me I've been doing something good for my body (soreness.....not pain, there's a difference).

You might try icing the sore area and make blueberries a part of your diet (if you're not already) they're full of anti-oxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties (beats popping a pill). Are you having a recovery snack (chocolate milk, or clif bar etc after a hard workout? it really does help speed recovery). Are you giving yourself adequate recovery time between hard workouts?
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I usually soak in a bathtub full of Epsom Salts.

Make sure the water is as hot as you can tolerate and put in abuot two cups of Epsom salts. I usually bring in a glass of water with me too because the hot water and salts are drawing out all the toxins and it can be dehydrating.

Soak for at least 30mins...relax....unwind.

Afterwards make sure to moisturize and massage your aching muscles. :)

^ this and stretch
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I just keep going the next day, like another person said,'embrace it'. I figure it means I'm working..lately I seem to spend two weeks pain free and then I add to my workout and I spend another week in pain. It is a complete cycle for me, hwever there are days when I wish my frontloading washingmachine wasn't so close to the ground :)
  • shyandemily
    shyandemily Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like to stretch just to feel more pain. I LOVE the pain of being sore. Sometimes I feel like I didnt use some muscle for a certain workout, but then when I start working out the muscles I thought I hadnt used start to hurt. :laugh: I dont take anything I ride it out. :heart:

Totally this ^^^
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Soreness? I revel in it.
  • catbox_eddie
    Options
    Stretch and workout more. You'll still feel sore, but you'll feel much better. Soreness goes away faster.

This.
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Stretch! my problem though is after a beginners stretch....I run on the treadmill and during the run/jog my calf muscles get tight and sore. I run through it but very distracting??

I've heard you shouldn't stretch too much before high impact cardio (running), because you're stretching everything out only to have it compounded, which is a big surprise for your joints. If I'm going to run, i usually just do some spinal twists and side stretches to make sure I don't get a cramp, and maybe a one runner's lunge per side. You can stretch tons after!
    Maybe that's it?
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Same here!
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For back and shoulder's I'll usually do cat and cow, and child's pose. If it's really bad, I'll either take an Ibuprofen (reduced inflammation too) or apply some topical Arnica gel.