Nike+ iPod

Options
2»

Replies

• Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I used to have the Nike+ and shoe sensor. Then I got a new ipod touch for Christmas, and paid for the Nike+ GPS app, and it's soo worth it!! It much more accurately tracks my distances, my pace, calories burned (since you can input height/weight/gender). I like being able to customize the feedback options more. And if you have friends on the Nike+ website, you can play games of Tag, which I find to be motivational.

If you have an iPod or iPhone with GPS capabilities, I strongly recommend the $1.99 app!!
  • Poohbear_Princess
    Options
    you might have got a lemon. my friend that I run with did and got a new one and it's fine. I have the wrist band and sensor, I love being able to see my pace, miles, or time whenever I want/need to. I do have a pair of K-Swiss that I love, they are so comfy, so I had to by a shoe "pocket" at ****'s Sporting Good store. A velcro strap goes thru my shoe laces to hold it on. I haven't used it yet, I run again in the morning. I'm hoping it will be okay and I won't have to recalculate the band with sensor.
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have used both - started with Nike+ for my iPod (pre-iPhone days) and then switched to the Nike+GPS (got iPhone, plus sensor wore out and didn't want to spend $20 for a new one). In my opinion, the +GPS is better.
    1. You do not need to have the receiver that plugs into the bottom of your iPod/iPhone. This can interfere with some armbands; makes shopping for them more difficult
    2. No need to mess with the shoe sensor, which, while it does work well, will be $20 to replace when it wears out. I also wore it with both Nike+ shoes and with non-Nikes, and it's just extra money (granted, only a little) to make it work for the non-Nikes
    3. I have found the GPS to be more accurate than the sensor was. I now run with my Nike+GPS app on my phone plus my Garmin GPS watch (for HRM), and they are generally spot-on with each other. When I use the Nike app at the gym, it's typically a tad fast but who knows if the treadmills are calibrated right. I'm not obsessed with logging accurate milage on it, anyways - it's mostly there for pacing, music, and voice feedback =)

SO, overall, I'd go with the Nike+GPS. Cheaper, no replacement costs, and works well indoors and out.
  • mybettyboop43
    Options
    I have the app on my phone and I can't get it to work it just keeps telling me to start walking. Do I need the sensor? If not what am I doing wrong?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have the app on my phone and I can't get it to work it just keeps telling me to start walking. Do I need the sensor? If not what am I doing wrong?

yes you need the sensor unless you have the gps app I believe.
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

yes you need the sensor unless you have the gps app I believe.

As far as I know that's what you need. Your phone comes with Nike+ iPod. I just downloaded Nike+ GPS since its only 1.99 on the app store
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't love my Nike+ sensor as I don't think it's too accurate, but it's ok if you take it with a grain of salt. I will look into downloading the Nike+ GPS.

Does anyone know how that compares to the Map My Run app?
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    So I've been using my Nike+ sensor for almost a week and I must say I absolutely love it. I even went out and splurged on a pair of shoes for it. :)
  • citizen72
    citizen72 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Nike GPS is free and I love it. Also, if you want to get a sensor, you dont have to get the shoes. There are clips designed to hold the sensor on your laces that you can use with any shoes. That also give you the ability to switch it up if need be. Look on amazon or ebay - the clips come in differant colors if thats something you care about...
    When I went to download it it said it was 1.99. And how does the treadmill work with Nike gps? Since your walking in one place. I think I'm going to get the sensor and a pink clip too.

The Nike+ GPS works on a treadmill using the accelerometer built into the iphone, I just hold the phone in my hand while running but I think you can use the armbands as well. I'm not sure how it works but it is pretty accurate, compared to the treadmills distances it seems to be within 200m over a 6 mile run. It seems to be slightly in front if you are running at 10 min/mile but seems to go slighty behind if you run any faster. I don't see the point in paying the extra 20 quid to buy the shoe sensor that only lasts about a year before the batteries run out and you have to buy another one.