Sweeten my tea/coffee some how

Sick of artificial sweeteners, but love my tea/coffee sweet.

I try not to eat white sugar if I can help it….

What do you do to sweeten your tea and coffee, and is something you do daily and count the calories?

I have about 3 cups tea/coffee a day. I love honey but it has a lot of calories, I tried Truvia and really don't like it.

Replies

• jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    I like agave nectar, which has about 20 calories per tsp. I use it in my pre-bedtime tea, and don't normally bother counting it if I've got some calories left-over anyway.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    If you're not going to use an artificial sweetener, any other sugar/syrup/honey is pretty much going to be the same thing
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    +1
    Honey ?
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    I've recently given up using sweeteners after having used them for about 25 years. You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to drinking unsweetened drinks if you give it a go :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Get better quality tea/coffee. Good coffee doesn't need any sweetener.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    lately, I've been "sweetening" my coffee with cinnamon. I've found I don't need to use splenda in my coffee if I put cinnamon in it. Of course, it could be a mind trick, since I associate cinnamon with sweets because I grew up on cinnamon & sugar toast.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    I recently discovered xylitol - sounds horrible but is natural...good for your teeth as well. Has half the amount of calories as sugar and is exactly the same texture (unlike that powdered canderel stuff which dissolves like snow) so it even retains that crunch you get from white sugar, I love it.

I had some really unripe strawberries the other day and dipped each one in a little bit of xylitol and I swear I wouldnt have known the difference had someone else served that up to me instead of sugar...anyway I have it in tea every morning, one spoonful - and it's as if I haven't stopped using sugar at all.
  • eblake111
    eblake111 Posts: 66 Member
    Love Love LOVE Blue Diamond Almond Vanilla Milk (unsweetened)....and a full cup is only 40 calories. I use it in my coffee drinks and on cereal.....Delish :)
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    I ususally drink my coffee black but every once in a while I will use a little bit of cinnamon. You should try it! Cinnamon has many health benefits.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    I've recently given up using sweeteners after having used them for about 25 years. You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to drinking unsweetened drinks if you give it a go :-)

This. Especially if you're drinking a good quality coffee/tea, you'll find you need the sweetener a lot less. You'd be surprised where you can cut out some sweetness in other areas, too, once you get used to everything not being sweet. I typically use only 50% of the sugar called for in a recipe when I bake now, because you don't lose any flavor by losing some sugar.
  • Melysa1988
    Melysa1988 Posts: 81 Member
    i love agave! its so good in tea! not in my coffee though. Thats the only thing i put real suger in. You could also use maple syup for some stuff.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member

This. Especially if you're drinking a good quality coffee/tea, you'll find you need the sweetener a lot less. You'd be surprised where you can cut out some sweetness in other areas, too, once you get used to everything not being sweet. I typically use only 50% of the sugar called for in a recipe when I bake now, because you don't lose any flavor by losing some sugar.

I've tried this several times and each time I've given myself a few months of unsweetened good quality tea and coffee. However, I still go back to sweetening these drinks every time, I just can't get used to it.

However, If I have a low fat brownie, chocolate, fruit cake or something sweet, then I always drink the tea unsweetened as something to wash the sweetness down with....but when drinking the hot beverage on its own, like first thing in the morning for example, I much prefer sweet and can't seem to enjoy it half as much without.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I recently discovered xylitol - sounds horrible but is natural...good for your teeth as well. Has half the amount of calories as sugar and is exactly the same texture (unlike that powdered canderel stuff which dissolves like snow) so it even retains that crunch you get from white sugar, I love it.

I had some really unripe strawberries the other day and dipped each one in a little bit of xylitol and I swear I wouldnt have known the difference had someone else served that up to me instead of sugar...anyway I have it in tea every morning, one spoonful - and it's as if I haven't stopped using sugar at all.

Xylitol is no more natural than any other sugar substitute. It's derived mostly from hardwood trees and corn. It's basically hydrolyzed corn sugar.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to drinking unsweetened drinks if you give it a go :-)

This.

Sweetener gives me stomach cramps and leaves me feeling REALLY hungry, and sugar leaves my teeth feeling horrible, so I've learnt to take my coffee with just milk. And I never liked sugar in tea anyway.
  • dyanaah
    dyanaah Posts: 9 Member
    funny you should say this, since I posted this morning that I was switching from Splenda to Stevia and posted it to my facebook too. I was amazed at how many ladies said there are some good alternatives that don't have the chemical chloride in them. One lady told me above a liquid Stevia that can be found in the Whole Foods Market, if you have one where you live. Also, she orders hers online at

http://www.iherb.com/​NuNaturals-Pure-Liquid-Vani​lla-Stevia-With-Singing-Do​g-Vanilla-Extract-2-fl-oz-​59-ml/14130/​?at=1&p=1&sr&fr

I may order mine through them once I try one from the market. I can't even use honey because of the high calories and since I have airbourne allergys and honey burns the inside of my mouth now. But good luck .... Central Market Stevia packets aren't too bad either!!

Dyanaah
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Rooibos tea with honey is amazing, I buy it from Sainsburys. The honey part is already in the bag

Caffeine free and sweet

Mmmm
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Rooibos tea with honey is amazing, I buy it from Sainsburys. The honey part is already in the bag

Caffeine free and sweet

Mmmm

did NOT know this existed! Have just added it to my sainsburys order to try it! Thanks for the tip!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I don't drink coffee, but I use honey in my tea.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    drink lemon green tea

Put some cinnamon in your black coffee
  • MikeG2
    MikeG2 Posts: 97 Member
    Get better quality tea/coffee. Good coffee doesn't need any sweetener.

I agree completely.