EXERCISE !!!!!

Options
Hi all
I am 47 yr old grandmother and have watched my weight creep up, 2 stonemore in the last 2 yrs. I feel so unhappy at this size. I am 227 pounds.I have tried every diet and have idled around this site for some time. Yesterday I started seriously and am determined to do this. I need to exercise as I am leading too sedentary a life style. I started yesterday by 30 mins on my step board while watching tv then did as brisk a walk in the afternoon as I could manage for 30 mins. I have wasted so much on gym memberships in the past. Due to living in a rural location, it is not viable to be driving to the gym. Can anyone give me any more ideas on exercise without the gym? Its always interesting to hear about what works for others. I would enjoy talking to others and maybe making some new friends for support.
Linda.

Replies

• MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking or running may be an option for you.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great start.

But get some form of measurement for a baseline. Time walking, distance traveled, etc. This will give you a measurement that you can compare week to week to see any improvement.

For me, I got back on my bicycle last summer. I peddled more last summer than I had in the previous 15 years combined.

Started small with 15 - 20 minute steady paced rides. By the end of the summer I was out 30K + rides a couple of times per week.

Note: I have no fancy bike!! I was riding an inexpensive big box store mountain bike where I switched out the knobby tires with street tires.

Lastly, I will be 47 this summer so we are pretty much the same age. From April to Dec last year I went from 272 lbs to 195 lbs. Mostly by biking.
  • Celticlin
    Celticlin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi MOS3
    yes I think walking is my easiest option. Congratulations on your weight loss.
    Linda
  • Celticlin
    Options
    Hello Kyle B65
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Your weight loss results are amazing. You must have been very determined. I am going to stick with the exercise. I actually have a bike, so maybe I ll start doing small rides. I had to walk up some steps at the beginning of the week and it really upset me as I was a while getting my breath back. I have a pedometer app on my iphone so I will be using that to log my progress.
    Linda
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I am 55 and have a bad knee so walking a whole lot gets painful. I try to do the treadmill but I really can't go very long.Doctor says I should exercise 30 to 45 minutes at least 5 times a week. I just cannot walk that much. So I got a bike. I love it. Not hard on the knees or ankle (maybe that will get better if I get lighter). Some days you just can't ride the bike so today I am going to get me an exercise bike. I tried it out in the store and its just what I wanted ( it sits up like a bike, not sits in a chair, that doesn't work for me, my knees are hitting my fat stomach and its uncomfortable) I started out on January 16 weighing 271 at the doctors office. Today I hit the 250 mark (so excited!) I have a long way to go but I am deterimined and due to my hubby (age 60) having had a heart attack Jan 14, we have no choice. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • lroutt65
    lroutt65 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a 46 year old grandmother and found myself miserable and sedentary before getting serious about being healthy and active. I am now healthy and full of energy. It comes in handy when all 5 of my grandchildren are at my house. To date I have lost 57lbs since joining this site, but 111lbs total. Went from a size 22/24 to a size 12. I have my size 10 goal jeans waiting patiently for me :) I would say if you cannot find a gym or a personal trainer you definitely should get DVD's. The biggest loser ones are great! I really started losing the weight with strength training (kettle bell) and I feel great. Cardio is great for the heart, but for the body you really need to build your lean muscle mass and that only comes from strength training. That will also help when the healthy eating takes a stumble.
  • RileeMarie
    RileeMarie Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi all
    I am 47 yr old grandmother and have watched my weight creep up, 2 stonemore in the last 2 yrs. I feel so unhappy at this size. I am 227 pounds.I have tried every diet and have idled around this site for some time. Yesterday I started seriously and am determined to do this. I need to exercise as I am leading too sedentary a life style. I started yesterday by 30 mins on my step board while watching tv then did as brisk a walk in the afternoon as I could manage for 30 mins. I have wasted so much on gym memberships in the past. Due to living in a rural location, it is not viable to be driving to the gym. Can anyone give me any more ideas on exercise without the gym? Its always interesting to hear about what works for others. I would enjoy talking to others and maybe making some new friends for support.
    Linda.

personally i dont like going to a gym.. we have purchased used equipment at a much lesser cost. we have an easy rider/treadmill/alpine skier, i like my home gym including light weights and have been able to create my own workout that suits me in the privacy of my own home. i agree, try to find an exercise video if you dont have the exercise machines, mixed with outside walking (weather permitted). good luck to you.
  • Celticlin
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I think some home equipment is a good idea! Maybe some DVD s.
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 48 and also live in a rural location. What with petrol costs at the moment joining the gym or going to classes gets expensive.

I have started walking whenever I can. today I knew I only had a 3/4 hour window so I really walked fast :) I have (because of MFP) ordered a Jillian Michaels DVD - 30 day shred or somesuch hell)

Good luck on your journey
  • jacquelynkay
    jacquelynkay Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and found myself in the same situation. I finally just told myself , noone else can do this for me, I have to do it for myself! It's hard because I dislike excersing and get very discouraged! For example, I work my butt off, eat my calories or below and some days I gain weight ---- and I didn't cheat!......... Like today i gained, I have NO CLUE how that can happen....
  • Celticlin
    Options
    11 lbs off, you are doing something right.