Snack ideas

Options
I have lost about 30 pounds so far, but am kinda struggling right now. I got back on the right track recently, but when it comes time to have a quick "snack" I'm in a rut. I'm so sick of greek yogurt every time I want to snack between meals. Anybody have some good ideas?

Thanks and add me if you'd like!!

Replies

• Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've found I'm much happier eating constantly throughout the day, as opposed to eating big meals three times a day. So maybe only eat half your lunch at lunchtime, and save the other half for a mid-afternoon "snack"? Maybe do the same for breakfast and dinner too?

Seems to work for me so far. I just love eating, but hate being really full after a single meal. But then I'm in the position to do this because I have a desk job, and we're allowed to eat at our desks.

Oh and well done on your 30lb loss! :)
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Yeah, I also have a desk job and can eat throughout the day. I have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and then dinner and MAYBE an evening small snack if I have the cals left. Just need some different snack ideas. I'm sick of the same old things day after day.

Thx!
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In that case,,, I have been no help at all, sorry haha.

I'm still figuring out snacks myself I guess, which is why I'm just "extending" my lunch at the moment. But I have a low calorie brownie recipe at home that I WILL be trying out this weekend, so I'll let you know how that goes!

My other non-meal snacks mostly consist of fruit and chopped up veg with low fat hummus but that's not very exciting!
  • k9runner1963
    k9runner1963 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like the Laughing Cow cheese (35 calories) and 5 Ritz crackers (80 calories)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    For my snack at work or after dinner, I'll have 10 roasted peanuts or 8 frosted chex cereal or sometimes a skinny cow ice cream. I also love the splendfull peanut butter crunch bar, the skinny cow peanut butter bar, the kellogs chocalety chip protein bar or my favorite is Supreme protein peanut butter pretzel bar. I only eat half of the bars as a snack - never the entire bar. Fruit is a great way to snack, too, and if you like apple crisp, the dole apple cinnamon desert cups are awesome. Or I'll make a bag of Pop secret homestyle popcorn and split it into two individual baggies. :)
  • britlem
    britlem Posts: 49
    Options
    Strawberries, blueberries, peaches, almonds, walnuts, carrots, 100 calorie packs of popcorn or other snacks. Rice cakes and peanut butter. You can measure these out and put them in ziplock bags to have handy.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    baby carrots,snap peas,blueberries,sliced cucumbers ,celery,green beans.....these are my snacks through out the day
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Desk job person here too. Typical work snacks that I bring in are almonds or mixed nuts, natural granola, apple with pb (I just keep a jar and knife in my desk drawer so I only need to pack the apple), protein muffins or bars that i bake the weekend prior or mr. wheat crispy wheat cakes. I also try to make sure my three main meals are protein rich as well to avoid desk hunger. Hope this helps!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Snack is relative (how many calories do you define as a snack?) For me, a laughing cow cheese (any light flavor), some triscuits and maybe a slice or two of ham, or turkey rolled up. (Or salami bites, if I have enough calories to work with) For me: Usually somewhere around 175-200 calories.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Almonds, light string cheese, carrots, fruit, pretzels, 40 calorie fudge pops. Fiber one bars.
  • coolstacey6
    coolstacey6 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    White cannellini beans and hot sauce
    tuna and cottage cheese mixed and eat with wholegrain crackers
    popcorn with parmesean cheese
    30 calorie wholewheat toast with laughing cow cheese spread on it
    low calorie hot chocolate
    chocolate teddy grahams dipped in all natural peanut butter
    almonds with apple slices
    frozen grapes
    baked tortilla chips and salsa
    string cheese
    piece of toast with pumpkin on top, sprinkled with cinnamon
    yogurt with cut up strawberries and peanut butter swirled in.
    turkey slice with all kinds of stuff rolled up inside....peppers, laughing cow cheese, ect.
    COngrats on your weight loss so far! Hope you like some of these.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg, laughing cow cheese, low fat mozerella cheese stick, pretzels, 100 calorie popcorn, fruit, 100 calorie packs, peanut butter on celery, english muffin with a tsp peanut butter, yogurt, skim milk with protein powder, nuts, granola bar, protein bar like Cliff bar, cottage cheese, lite pudding cups

Good luck to you!
  • Almonds, broccoli, cauliflower, cuties, carrots, canned beans, apples, bananas, sugar snap peas, and i don't eat any yogurt, but greek is the best.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I try to get my fruits and veggies in for snacks, since they're so hard for me to get in normally. One of my fav's is boiled cauliflower, mashed up, a little butter and parm cheese and salt = tastes like mashed potatoes. Or carrots and light sour cream w/herbs I add in to make a dip. Or a big piece of fruit (oranges are really good right now!). Or laughing cow cheese w/tortillas or crackers.

A Buca burger w/laughing cow cheese if you need something more substantial.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My snacks: apples, bananas, dried apricots, dried apples, almonds, whole grain bread with nutella, plain bran flakes with skim milk, skim milk by itself, rice pudding with brown rice and lowfat evap milk.
  • Bhabs10
    Bhabs10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Special K cereal bars are a good snack, only 90 calories. My favorite is Chocolately Pretzel. I also snack on Teddy Grahams, they are 130 calories for 24 pieces. Otherwise, you could also get no sugar added fruit cups for Pears or Peaches. Depending on the brand you get the calories for the fruit cups can be 25-40 calories but some are more so you'd just want to be sure to look at the calorie amount when grocery shopping.
  • chickenhawksgirl2
    Options
    hard boiled eggs are one of my main go to's too
    will also pack a cup of veggie juice and nuke it to have as soup with some parmasan on top - less than 100 cals and really is filling and comforting (and helps me get some veggies in my day)
    oatmeal or grits packets are also another go to - desk job here too and we are lucky to have one of those hot hot water dispensers so makes these really easy
    tuna packets (not the cans)
    and will pack a cup of almost any leftovers - pasta, chicken, doesn't matter... just a smaller version of the dinner day before
    hope this helps :)
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I like the Laughing Cow cheese (35 calories) and 5 Ritz crackers (80 calories)

Ditto. Love the Laughing Cow (all flavors) and stuff it into celery, slather it on whole grain light muffins, etc.
  • bdunny1
    bdunny1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Special K crackers and cracker chips are awesome! They have a few flavors to choose from and are low calorie! I love the Savory Herb Crackers and the Southwestern Ranch Cracker Chip flavors!! You can eat quite a few for a small amount of cals!! I also love butter flavored pretzel sticks, they are so flavorful you don't feel like you need a dip and because pretzels are dry, I get sick of eating them after about 10 sticks, but I'm still statisfied after that! Also, carrot sticks!! I work at a desk that you can eat at as well and sometimes want a snack to 'pass the time'. So I go through a lot of differenet snacks here! Also, since water can fill you up if you drink enough, I've been trying a lot of crystal light mixes for my water becuase a lot of them are so sweet and yummy they are just as good as a sweet treat, but waaayyy less calories! Good luck! :)