5 km training

Options
b0t23
b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
I jogged my first mile in like 15 years a few months ago. (I would have to look up the date.)

This week I did 2 - 5km jogs, another one that was almost 5km, and some walking. I am in another state visiting family so have done this instead of my usual cycling.

I still can't jog or run the whole 5km (3 miles), but my time was much faster today.
Took over 1.5 minutes off my first mile, 6 minutes off my second mile, and 1 minute off my 3rd.
Totaled 28:45 today. Not great but not bad for someone who walked part of it.

Felt a ton better today too. Like I could have run further by the end.

Pretty soon I will be able to jog/run the whole 5k!

Replies

• kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No you won't. You'll soon be able to run 10k and 5k will look like nothing! Fair warning... you'll get addicted and then it's on like donkey kong.

Keep up the great work.
  • bojamashell
    bojamashell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep it up!

I can't jog yet, just getting started walking and getting my body used to that. I'm signing up for the 5K that I've been wanting to do for years though! It's in 8 weeks, so I hope I can get used to walking the distance in good time. I just want to finish. One day, I want to be able to run- run marathons, run with my kids, run just for fun and time to myself.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I jogged my first mile in like 15 years a few months ago. (I would have to look up the date.)

This week I did 2 - 5km jogs, another one that was almost 5km, and some walking. I am in another state visiting family so have done this instead of my usual cycling.

I still can't jog or run the whole 5km (3 miles), but my time was much faster today.
    Took over 1.5 minutes off my first mile, 6 minutes off my second mile, and 1 minute off my 3rd.

28:45 for 5km is a pretty decent time for just getting back into running. nice work!
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options

28:45 for 5km is a pretty decent time for just getting back into running. nice work!

I have been running properly 3/4 times a week for 5 months and can run my 5k in just under 28 mins so I would say you are doing amazing, you must have a natural talent! Go you!
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You definitely are doing better than me as far as time. The best I was last year was 36 minutes. Still working on dropping the weight and know that will definitely help.
  • b0t23
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have no idea what an average time is to do a 5km run.
    I guess if I can get where I run the whole thing I will have a pretty good time.
    Feels good.

I know different people have different strides and stuff so I am trying only to compare myself to previous run times I have done.
    Its all new to me.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Awesome work Beau! Wanted to recommend to you (and anyone else getting into running!) to seriously consider some cross training to avoid knee injury.

Quick personal story--- I started running about 5 months ago, not doing much else in the way of fitness. Now, I have a horrible case of runners knee, in both knees. Causes can be from lots of things (stride, shoes, etc) but one thing they often tell people with runners knee to do is to strengthen your leg muscles. If I remember right, running strengthens quads but not hamstrings and outer thigh, but not inner thigh. Your muscles aren't balanced, so your kneecap isn't held in place properly. Cycling is good x-training, so you'll probably be good to go Beau! I just wished someone would've mentioned this to me 5 months ago... =) doing pilates and yoga now to strengthen my legs in a more balanced way.

PS You can tell that you have runners knee if it really hurts to stand up from a seated position, from walking down stairs or walking down hills.... of course, only a doc can properly diagnose ;) but that's just what I've read! Runners beware! I'm battling runners knee training for a marathon and its kind of awful. Runnersworld.com is an amazing resource! Lots of beginners running stuff on their. Like I figured out that I am an "under pronator/supinator"-- I run on the outsides of my feet. I'm working to correct that too, and got proper shoes for my stride.
  • adairt1
    adairt1 Posts: 14
    Options
    The absolute best way to get there is to first concentrate on distance then work on time. You have to find "your" pace. Most runners will fly out of the gate on their first 5k but it's not long before they run out of steam. If your goal is to run a 5k then you end up working on speed. If it's longer then it's endurance. Youi can't expect to run a 10k at a 5k pace. My 10k pace is about 1-1:30 minutes slower than my 5k.

Great work!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That's awesome time! I've been back to running for a year and my best 5k time was 35:10. But the other poster is right, you'll get addicted quick LOL.
  • NTBlade
    NTBlade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd say that you're better to concentrate on doing the whole 5k without stopping rather than trying for a specific time. If you're able to do 28 mins or so, maybe your running too quickly to start. It's much better for progress and fat burning to run a little slower and you'll be able to run for longer without stopping. Warming up properly with a brisk walk and a slow jog makes a big difference too.

Hope his helps
    NTB
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    oh... and PS... everyone has advice on running! =)
  • b0t23
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone. I will try to pace myself better so I can run longer. I am new.

Amanda. Thanks for the advice I have been doing lots of cross training including yoga, cycling, and bodyweight exercises.
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I did a couch to 5k program and then I went on to run the womens 5k here in Nashville. Now I couldn't do it because i stopped running after I did it. I would love to start again. Great job!!
  • jchocchip
    jchocchip Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I ran my first ever 5k today jogging at a slow pace in just over 50 minutes. I ran all the way, even the hill and came 150th out of 150! I have just finished the nhs c25k podcasts and knew I was nowhere near running 5k in 30 minutes, but wanted to do an official time to celebrate. I'm going to try and continue running 3 times a week and hopefully my next timed run will be faster! If you are running 28 minutes that is a respectable time, well done :)
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Awesome work Beau! Wanted to recommend to you (and anyone else getting into running!) to seriously consider some cross training to avoid knee injury.

Quick personal story--- I started running about 5 months ago, not doing much else in the way of fitness. Now, I have a horrible case of runners knee, in both knees. Causes can be from lots of things (stride, shoes, etc) but one thing they often tell people with runners knee to do is to strengthen your leg muscles. If I remember right, running strengthens quads but not hamstrings and outer thigh, but not inner thigh. Your muscles aren't balanced, so your kneecap isn't held in place properly. Cycling is good x-training, so you'll probably be good to go Beau! I just wished someone would've mentioned this to me 5 months ago... =) doing pilates and yoga now to strengthen my legs in a more balanced way.

PS You can tell that you have runners knee if it really hurts to stand up from a seated position, from walking down stairs or walking down hills.... of course, only a doc can properly diagnose ;) but that's just what I've read! Runners beware! I'm battling runners knee training for a marathon and its kind of awful. Runnersworld.com is an amazing resource! Lots of beginners running stuff on their. Like I figured out that I am an "under pronator/supinator"-- I run on the outsides of my feet. I'm working to correct that too, and got proper shoes for my stride.

I swim twice a week too so am fine but good advice :-)
  • tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Options
    I ran my first ever 5k today jogging at a slow pace in just over 50 minutes. I ran all the way, even the hill and came 150th out of 150! I have just finished the nhs c25k podcasts and knew I was nowhere near running 5k in 30 minutes, but wanted to do an official time to celebrate. I'm going to try and continue running 3 times a week and hopefully my next timed run will be faster! If you are running 28 minutes that is a respectable time, well done :)

AWW, thank you so much for posting this. I am doing my first one in 2 weeks and I was so nervous about it. You have made me feel better. Thanks and good job!:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!