Not eating after 7pm, good idea? bad idea?

Options
2»

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i-dont-always-herp.jpg
  • whit1108
    Options
    I dont agree with that at all. I have heard that before not to eat past 7pm but its not true. I work out later at evening usually around 6 or 7 and by time i get home after working out and get the kids ready for bed and take a shower. Im hungry. Most nights me and the hubby will enjoy a bowl of popcorn and spend time together. and im still losin weight by eating after 7pm..The WORSE thing people can do is go to bed hungry. Your body then hides your breakfast because it doesnt know when its going to eat next. becuase it went to bed hungry and all night hungry. You are actually doing more harm to ur body and weight loss program by going to bed hungry. Im not saying eat a full course meal after 7pm but a snack is good.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I find it helpful to put a restriction on night eating, it keeps you from tv munching... "KITCHEN CLOSES AT 8" at my house. Its nice to wake up empty, fit in a solid workout and then be hungry for breakfast... metabolism fires up well that way!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Just don't feed them after midnight. If you don't believe me, ask this guy:

Gremlins.jpg
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It does not matter....I have been doing this for almost 3 months now and I have eaten as late as 9 or 10 sometimes cause that is the only chance I got or I still had a lot of cals left and it has not stunted my weight loss or had any negative effects....I think its BS
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1500 calories a day, it doesn't matter if you eat all of them before 7:00 or 1200 of them before and 300 after. You still ate 1500 calories for the day. Myth. Now someone always comes along and says if they eat late it makes them uncomfortable when they sleep. That is a DIFFERENT issue than whether it affects weight loss.

Yep. About the only thing not eating late will help with is acid reflux, if you have issues with that.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    My trainer told me it isn't so much when you're eating but what you're eating. Eating late at night is ok, you are still burning calories while you sleep, but you want to make sure to eat the right foods. Carbs are good to eat when you are active because they give you energy, so eating a bunch of carbs before bed might not be the best idea. Instead eat proteins. I like to drink my protein shakes before bed. They fill me up and are healthy. I eat late at night because my husband works second and I like to enjoy a meal with him. It's the only meal of the day we get to share. So I usually eat my dinner around 10 PM. But I keep it healthy, even if it's only a salad or some carrots. I just like sitting at the dinner table with him.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    i switched from eating around 8-9pm till before 7 (because i go to bed by 10) and i lost weight simply on that. gives your body more "up" time to digest food.
    Not true. I'm not saying you didn't lose weight. I am saying you did not lose weight solely because you switched what time you consumed your calories. You lost weight because you consumed fewer and/or burned more calories.

Plenty of reasons not to eat right before bed (stomach issues, sleep problems, etc.) but that don't have anything to do with weight loss. Unless you want to include some indirect minor influences like weigh-in times or for some reason you like to eat 45 waffles for breakfast and eating late at night makes you cut that back to 15. Mmmmm... waffles. I really do like waffles much better than pancakes. However, mediocre pancakes are better than mediocre waffles. Is that weird? I mean, a really good waffle is 10 times better than the best pancake. But once the quality starts dropping, the pancake is less affected I think. Also, syrup plays a big part.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to include some indirect minor influences like weigh-in times or for some reason you like to eat 45 waffles for breakfast and eating late at night makes you cut that back to 15. Mmmmm... waffles. I really do like waffles much better than pancakes. However, mediocre pancakes are better than mediocre waffles. Is that weird? I mean, a really good waffle is 10 times better than the best pancake. But once the quality starts dropping, the pancake is less affected I think. Also, syrup plays a big part.

pancake_bunny.jpg
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Eating late is a bad idea for me, not because of any physiologial factors, but because I've always eaten my calories in "real" food by 8pm and anything I eat after that puts me way over on my calories for the day.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work graveyard hours 10pm-7am. so I am eating at really late hours. hasn't affected my weight loss in anyway
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat a few hour before going to bed because food gives you energy and you are likely find it harder to sleep. That's the only reason i'm going to stop eating late. I'm tired of laying in bed for 5 hours trying to sleep. You still burn calories while you sleep so that isn't the problem, your not going to store your night food as fat. Also this 7Pm rule only applies to the 9-5 crowd.
  • fiensiferum
    Options
    I dont eat after supper around 6 or 7 p.m. it taking 8 hours for your last meal to be processed and give you digestive system 4 hours of rest. whuich is 12 hours total. time before sleep. the time of day will vary from person to person.