New to this.. scared about joining a gym?!

Options

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!

I really love this site.. I've been here tracking food and eating right for a month or so and so far only lost about 3lbs, After deciding i REALLY needed a big lifestyle change and need to get in shape. I've never been so motivated before and I dont think ive ever stuck to any kind of diet or healthy eating for this long.

I never ever exercise but I do however REALLY want to join my local gym which is something i planned to do this weekend. I was just discussing this with a family member who said something to the effect of "as long as you remember you will probably feel quite self conscious" which has made me even more self conscious and now im starting to doubt joining ! :ohwell:

I'm just looking for advice and motivation as im sure there are many other people out there who have been in my position, Was it as scary and intimidating as you thought it would be??

Ok, first of all, CONGRATS!! You're doing so well :)

Secondly, that family member needs to be punched in the head. Just sayin'.

As for being self conscious? Think of it this way: They're all there (well, almost all) for the same reason. Set up time with the gym personnel to go over all the machines, how to use them properly, a workout schedule that is manageable, and then go and play and have fun! You will see all shapes and sizes there.

And again, anyone who thinks it's something to laugh at for you to be at a gym should be punched in the face.

:flowerforyou:

ETA: I read this somewhere long ago and I bring it to mind whenever I'm in an uncomfortabl situation where I fear being judged (and I am seriously paraphrasing here): No one thinks of you as often as you think. AKA We really aren't at the forefront of other people's minds that often.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership and as big as I am still go and do my workouts...(when I go- which isn't often enough)
    I really want to be inshape to do a cardio class. Zumba, but Im scared that Im so out of shape Ill pass out during the class...worse if it was just the warm up. So that is my goal,,,to get in shape to do a class...

That's like "cleaning the house before the cleaning lady comes"... :laugh:

Seriously... I was totally OUT OF SHAPE! and started my first Zumba class. When I couldn't do the moves, because I was out of breath or my thighs were burning, I just swayed side to side till I could breath again... Now that I've been Zumba-ing since mid October, I am totally hooked, and have even done a couple of Zumba-thons of 2 hours! I feel so much better!

Please don't wait to start something (ANYTHING) that you want to do! We've wasted enough time leading unhealthy sedantary lives... It's time to do what you love and love doing it!

And to the original poster... Whoever told you that is just mean! Why would they say that to you??? :noway:
    Have fun at the Gym!!!
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You might be a little nervous at first, but go for it!!! That feeling leaves very quickly. I LOVE going to the gym...love, love, love. Just DO IT! :happy: Work with a trainer a bit at first if you're not comfortable. That way you'll not be afraid to get in there and use the weights, etc.. Own it!!
  • missykm7
    missykm7 Posts: 42
    Options
    Join!!! I was a little self conscious at first, but mostly because I thought I would look dumb actually reading the instructions on the machines so I would know how to work them. I caught on quickly, and to me the feeling of awesomness you have about yourself when walking back to your car after a hard workout is the best :)
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ive been feeling the same way about joining a gym, especially since I live in a very small town (its crazy we even have a gym..)but you can di it! or of you dont feel comfortable you cant always work out at home to start, thats what Ive been doing.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 a.m. to be at the gym by 5:00 a.m, which means that I look like hell. I sweat like a pig while I work out, so I look even more like hell. But I feel fantastic after I work out and at least I'm making the effort. If you're that self-conscious, just try to go when the gym is less busy. I go this early because it's not very crowded and I figure if people are willing to get up at the @ss crack of dawn to go to the gym, then they are there for the same reason I am - to exercise.
  • OtakuEngineer
    Options
    There is a gym i go to- i think its a "chain" and its called Planet Fittness. It advertises it self as a "Non judgemental Zone", and has "Lunk Alarms". There are very strict rules posted "if you are judging someone, or attract un-due attention to yourself by dropping weights, showing off, etc, you will be asked to leave". "This is a judgement free Zone". I belong there, I am not the only very overweight grey haired lady there "trying" to exercise. Its only $10 per month. Its the first gym i ever felt comfortable at, and ii have belonged to a few ( for short periods of time) over the last 30 years. If they have one near you, give it a try....

We have those gyms out here, and I'm certainly thinking of joining. I'm more so interested in the treadmills, ellipticals, and what not since that is equipment I don't have at home. I have all the weights I could ever dream of, but would love an hour or two on the treadmill everyday. Especially since my new scale puts me at 8 pounds heavier than my old one... have a lot of work to do.
  • darylinny
    darylinny Posts: 146
    Options
    I think everyone is nervous when they first time they go to the gym. It's like being the new kid at school. But most gyms have people walk you around and some even have trainers give you a complementary session which includes showing you how to properly use the machines.

Maybe you can get a free pass just to go and feel it out.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way but I decided I really needed to get it going activity-wise so I joined and at work no less! The thought of working out in front of co-workers and people I know terrified me but now I don't even give it a second thought. You can start out slow by walking on the treadmill and scouting out the gym. You'll see very quickly that everyone is usually busy doing their own thing. I got over my nervousness and now even take classes with other co-workers and employees. Go for it - you'll be fine. :-)
  • dypab
    dypab Posts: 19
    Options
    I felt the same way or rather still feel the same way. Three things that I did to make it work for me are -
    1) Pick times to go when there are not too many people, I work from home and don't commute, so that's easy for me to hit the gym outside of peak hours.
    2) Find a workout buddy who will be there with me so I don't feel like I am there by myself
    3) Do some things that I feel conscious to do in the gym at home .. like push ups and sit ups...
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Do a little research. Find somewhere where you really feel comfortable. I was a member of LA Fitness but do you know how many times I went? Like twice. PERSONALLY (and this is my experience; I know people who love it there) I hated it. The trainers sucked. I felt like I was being shamed when they did workouts with me, they did workouts that aggravated my back injury even when I told them specifically what I could not do, and overall, it was not pleasant. Naturally I was wary of gyms after that.
    I found my current gym by writing an email to them and explaining what I had been through. I got a call the next day saying he'd show me around, that they were having a membership special, but there was no pressure to join (obviously he wanted me to join though).
    I walked in and I loved it right away. I met my trainer who asked me what I hated about the other trainers I had worked with. I told her they did not LISTEN to me at all and I felt really discouraged by them. She's AWESOME. She listens to everything I tell her. If I don't like a workout, we don't do it. She finds another way to work those particular set of muscles. And every trainer is motivating. I can walk up to any staff member and be like, "I lost a pound!" and they'll encourage me and celebrate with me, and it feels genuine. The people are also great. Big and small, fit and fat, we're all there doing the same thing. :>
  • Niccan81
    Niccan81 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you have never been before, you should really meet with the staff of the gym to help you learn the machines. The first gym I joined was a bigger gym that had trainers on staff. You could pay for personal trainning, but they also offered a free start up thing, where you went, discussed your goals, they taught you how to use machines properly and took measurements. 6 weeks down the road, you met with them again and they helped switch out the routines for you to help mix it up. They also had a ton of classes (spinning, dance, step, etc). That was the best gym I ever joined, just too much money to keep going there. I now go to a smaller gym. Love the staff, mostly miss my classes!
  • weightloss43154
    weightloss43154 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I joined my local gym about weeks ago and it was one of the best thing that i have ever done

go tfor it you will love it
  • m_snow
    m_snow Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I have anything new to add....just to reiterate - GO! When I joined a gym a year ago, I was told that the gym I joined was a 'meat market'. I was thinking 'great, just what I need'. Turns out that is a little bit the case, but you know what? As everyone else has mentioned, almost everyone is in their own world, doing their own thing, and minding their own business!!! It's terrific. Even those folks that may have another alterior motive for being there are still doing their own thing.....maybe with a little drama with some friends every now and again, but nothing that impacts me!

I found that I have my own routine and have gotten into a comfortable rythm. You start to notice the same people when you go regularly and exchange friendly smiles - that about it, unless you initiate something more. There are many people there who have a ways to go to reach their goals, but all I can think is......'wow, that's awesome'.

Give yourself some credit, you're obviously awesome and on the right track! Best of luck.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    That was insensitive of someone to say to you. Don't let it make you feel intimidated at all.

I've been going to a gym for years...years ago when I weighed 240 lbs at my highest, and (more consistently) now that I'm down to my goal weight....and people mostly are just doing their own thing. Nobody will be worried about what you're doing or not doing and if they are...to hell with them!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Don't feel that way! I stare at everyone because I find someone to motivate me everyday. I look at the 300lb lady jumping rope, the elderly that come in the gym with their canes and walker lifting weights, the pregnant women running, even the men and women with the ripped body. They all motivate me! If they can do it so can I and I work just a little hard. Do what you can and don't worry about anyone. Focus on the outcome you are looking to achieve. A healthy, fit new you! :happy:
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an odd thing to say to someone.....
    I go to a gym, just recently joined...first time ever.
    Let me first just say that there are ALL kinds of shapes and sizes at the gym! And most of those people were new to the gym at some point during there lives. In my experience, people are very respectful of each other and don't gawk or stare. Everyone is at the gym for the same reason, to get fit and healthy and usually most are very helpful.
    When I first started I walked around and checked out some of the equipment, watched what people were doing (not in a creepy way, lol) and just started at my own pace. You know what I also noticed? There were other people doing the same thing!
    Please don't let someone else turn you off going to the gym...once you start and you stick to it, you will find yourself missing it the days that you don't go! True story.
    Usually most people have their earphones in and are rocking away in their own head doing their own thing! Lol
  • troph
    troph Posts: 4
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone for all the responses! im feeling motivated again.. First thing tomorrow im gonna go sign up at the gym and see if i can get a bit of help with using the machines etc
    Thats honestly ridiculous. I'm sorry someone even said that to you. Here's what I say when I see someone new at my gym......
    Go for it don't worry about being self conscious think everyone there might have had the same feeling too. Just have to say that your there for you not for them. 3lb in a the first month is dang good. The goal is a lb a wk and your on target. If you feel strongly about being self conscious consider a friend and walk at the park instead I felt that way too and went and got a treadmill for my home use you can find them a dime a dozen. Good luck in your adventures.

Ok, first of all, CONGRATS!! You're doing so well :)

Secondly, that family member needs to be punched in the head. Just sayin'.

As for being self conscious? Think of it this way: They're all there (well, almost all) for the same reason. Set up time with the gym personnel to go over all the machines, how to use them properly, a workout schedule that is manageable, and then go and play and have fun! You will see all shapes and sizes there.

And again, anyone who thinks it's something to laugh at for you to be at a gym should be punched in the face.

I think she was only just trying to help and it was a slip of the tongue.. i was close to punching her in the head believe me :laugh:

thanks again for the kind words and encouragement everyone :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • johnogden1
    Options
    it was scary at my size to join a gym! however i searched and found a great gym Planet fittnes it is a judge free zone!
    I found there were peole my size and bigger and i didnt have to be fit to go! Go figure a gym that will help you get fit!! so search out the gym and look who is there and remember even if there is a lot of healthy looking people we all started out needing the gym! I had a massive heart attack in june and decided i had to CHANGE!! however i have gained 35 pounds since then and i need to increase my activity!!!! If you need encouragement reach out!!! good lock and rememebr its for you!!!
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This tread is right up my alley today! I go to my local gym and everyone is right you just blend in. We have all shapes and sizes! But today they didn't have daycare instead they have this 'fun day Friday' where the kids all play in the gym and you have to watch them. So I took my son and my tubby buns to the gym. He's five so he can pretty much take care of himself and I let him run and I started jogging around the gym. I was going round and round with my ear-buds in and my eyes on my son. All the other parents watched my lard butt run around and around the gym. Then I started throwing a ball with my son and racing him back and forth across the gym to get my cardio in. And you know what when we were done I had around 10 people come up to me and tell me how much they appreciated me doing that because it was a real motivation to them. As I see it I should be more embarrassed about eating a giant piece of cake in front of people than I should be about getting healthy.