End of working week stress.

Options
How do you cope when you get to the end of a REALLY stressful working week? My default is to reach for a glass of wine. It never ends up being one glass, I usually finish the bottle and exceed my calories for the day! I know alcohol isn't the answer but due to the inherited early onset arthritis in my knees, exercise isn't really a comfortable option. At least I don't reach for the chocolates, cakes AND alcohol now! Just interested in how people unwind.

Replies

• mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just budget in my wine calories. Then, when I want to eat more of something, I need to decide if I really want it more than a glass or two of wine. The wine almost always wins.

When I pour my wine, I pour two glasses worth (7 oz.) into a single large glass; then I cork the bottle and put it away. I do not drink next to the bottle to prevent me from pouring,"just one sip more."
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Mine is sweat pants, the couch, coffee, and my kindle. However, in order to fit in a workout, that "time to unwind" comes a lot later in the evening than it used to.
  • huneybun1
    huneybun1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Ribosome42 you have to find a balance in all things. However I understand, my vice is cookies and I reach for those when I have a stressful day. I have not learned to manage this just yet, but I am working on it. With that being said thats all you can do.. I hope this helps, at least you know your not the only one that has these same issues.. :smooched:
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started running every friday right after work and you wouldn't believe how much it helps. I'm up to 5.5 miles and it feels great! Plus you'll earn enough calories to have a couple of glasses of vino when you get home to de-stress even more!!! :)
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I shout at my husband - makes me feel much better LOL
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This evening, I went out for a short (15 minute) bike ride as the sun was setting. It wasn't a coping thing, but it did help me close the week off, get my exercise done for the evening and get to enjoy a bit of fresh air and natural beauty after a week stuck indoors.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Swimming would be easy on your knees and then you could still have wine. It may even help relax you. Take a hot shower after and wash away the week. Then put on some comfy sweats and watch a chick flick.

I'm not the best at giving advice. The wine almost always win with me.
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I have a long drive home from work each day, so I use that to sing along to the radio or listen to an audio book to chill a little.

To keep from eating a lot when I am stressed, I bake. It sounds completely backwards, but if I make it I am less likely to eat too much of it since I like cooking for others.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My Kindle and a really good book. :happy:
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    nothing too much, just spend time with the family, enjoy some good treat food after some good nutrition calorie deficits throughout the week
  • ribosome42
    Options
    Thanks, it does make me feel better! I'm trying to change my way of thinking about food and drink so it's not JUST A DIET but a lifestyle change. Unfortunately, I'm no good when dealing with work or life stress. But it is good to know I'm not the only one:smile:
  • ribosome42
    Options
    I'm not comfortable enough with my body flab to get in to a pool in front of OTHER PEOPLE just yet. But another 20lbs or so and no stopping me!!