How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First one at 21, 2nd at 22, 3rd at 29. Im glad I had mine before I turned 30 because for me personally, I was better able to cope with the teen and college years <hell lol> at a younger age. There is no way I'd want a teenager when I'm in my 50-60's! Unless of course that's the only way I could have.
    I preferred to have some time to 'live' while I could after they were grown. Not that there is no life with children, It's just easier to travel, etc. when you don't have to worry about soccer, basketball, cheerleading, etc. and you never know what kind of health problems may get thrown your way as you age.
    There is also an advantage to having their college tuition paid for before you retire!
    It's a personal decision. Do what's right for you and your family. :)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
  • kelleylady
    Options
    I was 19 when i had my first child, 21 with my second and 24 with my third... i am 25 now and happy to say i am a learning mother of three beautiful lil monsters
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    very young. 19 when I had my first and 23 when I had my 2nd. Don't plan on having anymore. I wish I would have waited and had my first at 23, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I feel that I had kids too young but we are all doing wonderful now & I wouldn't change anything for the world. My mom had 4 kids by the time she was my age, then after divorcing and marrying my dad she had me at age 39, I asked her which was harder and she said raising me was harder for her because she was older and she felt like raising the other 4 was easier at a younger age. Financially however, raising me was easier. Whenever you're ready is a perfect age =)
  • samanthakre
    Options
    19...but as many have said before me - I really wasn't 'ready' for it until mid-20s. My kids have always been loved and taken care of...but mentally, emotionally inside- I should have waited until at least 25, if not closer to 30. I'm 33 now.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was 32 when I had my daughter and 33 when I had my son.
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    I had my first one three weeks before my 30th birthday and my youngest one at 31.
  • KellsJourney
    KellsJourney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    22 & 26. We are considering another, and I'll be 32 this month.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I was 22 when my first was born and 26 when my second was born. I'm done having kids. I'm now 28 :) I sometimes wish I had waited to have kids until I was a little older, but I was just as ready at 22 as if I had started now and my first at 28. The only difference is, I've gotten impatient and feel like I need my sleep more now than when I look back at being 22.

Getting in shape is helping me spend more time with my kids though - I was not in shape when either of them were born.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I had my twins 1 day before my 23rd birthday :)
  • mjimenez1451
    mjimenez1451 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was 24 when I had my pride and joy (son).
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    I was 16 and a tear away. Now I am 22 and live for my boy xoxo
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    First at 38 and twins at 40. They are perfect, no defects. Lost all but the last five pounds really easy from nursing. I could feel them sucking the fat off my thigh. That last five is tough, though.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was 39 when I had my first and only. In hindsight, It would have probably been better to in many ways to start at 35 or so. It gives more wiggle room time wise for a second!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 24 and my last (#4) at 34. We started trying when I was 19 (married at 18)....while I'm glad it took us a while b/c I was definitely not ready at 19 :/ be careful not to wait too late in case it's hard for you to get pregnant. A good friend of mine is just now starting to try to get pregnant and is having a hard time....BUT people need to mind their own business. I just mean don't wait until you're desperate for it and in your mid to late 30s b/c you might not get pregnant easily.
    Do what's right for your family-not your mom's friends. They'll have an opinion on everything. And your belly (when you do get pg) will either be too big or too small...etc etc..... :)
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had my 1st at 32, 2nd at 33, 3rd at 37 & 4th at 39. My SIL had her 1st at 41 & 2nd at 46. Having kids are a huge responsiblity, your the only one that can deside when your ready. Age has nothing to do with it.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was 32 when my first was born and 35 for the second.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I was 25, interestingly (for me) my dad was 25 when he had me and his mother was 25 when she had him.

So when my grandmother is 100 years old, my dad will be 75, I'll be 50 and my son will be 25 :)
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    First child I was 25 and my wife was 21, our second I was 28 and she was 24.

My parents had me when they were in their mid 30's, granted I wasn't their first, but it all worked out. :)
  • krystalaharding
    Options
    I had my daughter right after I turned 20. She will be 2 in November this year. I plan on having another on next year if everything works out right. It's all up to you and when you feel comfortable.