reaching my goal weight seems so far away

Options
If I stick to my calorie goal each day, I won't reach my goal weight until July. I know this is only in four months, but this is very discouraging to me. Does anyone have any tips on how to stay motivated even though results aren't immediate?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    If you don't stick to it, July is going to come anyway. And you could still be in the same spot you are today if you don't make the changes necessary to produce the results you want.

July is coming....are you going to be ready?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    July is a perfect time to go buy a new swim suit. They might have already started to go on clearance by then (as they start selling them in February now).

What will July be like if you don't even try?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    When you get to July and you haven't changed anything, you'll wish you had changed now. May as well start before July rolls around and you lose the opportunity.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself often! As you watch your number shrink, you'll realize that every day you're a step closer to your goal! [:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Life isn't on hold until you reach your goal. You keep living it, and you'll feel better and look better along the way. If you're anything like me, even with the goal in close sight, it loses its significance. I've done so much since I started on MFP that it's been one crazy accomplishment after another. My goal weight isn't the end-all, it's just yet another step in being a healthy and fit person. The end weight is merely a goalpost, and you've got a really fun game to play until then. Enjoy it.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    July is just in time!

July is a long time if you are just looking to do a short term diet.
    If it is a lifestyle change then a few months is nothing.

Stay with it! You can do it.
    I am on track for 2014. Doh!
  • sphenisciforme
    Options
    Little targets help: getting to the next 5lb marker, fitting into some item of clothing that's a bit tight at the moment - whatever it takes to make you feel you've achieved something along the way.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    Set a few more goals for yourself. For example, maybe set a goal weight for the end of March, or say - "I'm going to go to the gym this many times between now and April 1" or something like that. That way, you see more success in between now and July.

For me, I NEED to see myself as successful, otherwise I give up. So setting more "mini goals" helps in that area.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you don't stick to it, July is going to come anyway. And you could still be in the same spot you are today if you don't make the changes necessary to produce the results you want.

July is coming....are you going to be ready?

I agree with this completely. I actually told myself this earlier today and repeated it multiple times. I have a much larger amount of weight to lose and I am working towards a large part off be the end of the year. I told myself that the year is going to pass anyways. So it can pass with me losing weight in a healthy way, or it can pass with me doing nothing because it takes to long, which will prob equal gaining, or doing what I can to lose it super dooper fast which I won't be able to maintain and statistically I will gain back plus some. Taking it slower is healthier!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it..it took me from March till the end of November to reach my goal. The key is to celebrate the small successes..and before you know it..you will be at goal. Also keep in mind..the longer it takes to lose the weight..the odds of it staying away for good are really up there..
  • fpizzo
    fpizzo Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,

It is important to weigh yourself every day, but focus on your program and how you control it each day! If you do the right things each day the weight will go!
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I've been doing this for 7 weeks now and you just have to keep plodding on. Try not to let it rule every minute of your thoughts. Time will pass when you're not thinking about it. Good luck!
  • lahonda904
    Options
    I feel the same way sometimes...but logging on often seems to help me and having a buddy at work really helps keep me motivated. We walk on breaks and I feel motivated after my walk. Another thing that helps me is to log my exercise even if it is just walking around the mall...you are burning calories. Don't give up!!
  • Judithdobson
    Judithdobson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi , you will start seeing results much sooner and will feel better about yourself long before July so don't fret. Be patient, at least it is coming off so don't you give up, keep motivated. If you want to boost it, do more exercise. We are all behind you. don't let down the team lol x
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose, the longer you're likely to keep it off, and keep the changes in place that got you to where you wanna be. (And your body needs time to adjust, too). Think of it this way -- if you speed things up and get where you wanna be in 2 months, you might be back where you started in July. And what sense would THAT make??

It took me almost a year to get where I wanted to be -- like most things in life, true gratification comes over time. Immediate gratification is gone in an instant.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    it took me three years. Was worth the effort.

Stick to it!
  • sunshine3737
    sunshine3737 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey LAST July! Now 7 months later I have lost 53 lbs and I am down 9 pant sizes! When I would get frustrated in the beginning because it wasn't coming off fast enough I would just tell myself it didn't all show up overnight and it isn't going to come off overnight. I just take 1 day at a time and do a happy dance every week as I watch the numbers go down! Keep reminding yourself why you want to lose weight! Good luck!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Started my journey May 2009...... 32 month later and I am still working towards my goal..... July is a drop in the bucket just take it one day at a time and don't over think it. Just do everything you can each and everyday to work towards your goals and in no time 4 months will have went by....... good luck......
  • Jan0707
    Jan0707 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to when the estimated date is. I know I need to lose 40 pounds. So, I look at it as 5 lbs 8 times. Much easier for me to look at 5 lbs at a time, or I could easily get frustrated. Just keep on track and the weight will come off. It doesn't appear overnight, and won't go away overnight.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Try setting minigoals at closer intervals, so that you can get some earlier successes. Also, make sure to use (and watch) your tracker so that you can see your progress. For me, it also helps to break it down to see what you've done. For instance, looking at your tracker, do you realize that you are already over 10% of the way there? You're already 1/7 of the way to your goal.

So, just focus on the next 3 lbs. - 10% - 1/7. Think of it like slowing down to enjoy the drive on your way to your destination!