Finding time to work out

Options
I know this may sound like an excuse, but I feel like there is no time to work out. I would love to wake up early and work out then, but I live in an apartment on top of my father in law and all that bouncing and jumping would wake him. Monday through Wednesday I work from home and have to deal with my 4 year old dropping him off and picking him up from Pre-K and then when I turn around it's night time and I am too pooped to do anything.

I am doing really well with my eating and losing the appropriate amount of weight per week, but really want to step up my weight loss and work out. Just need to find energy.

I do admit to the fact that at night when I do have some time, I choose to catch up on my DVR'd shows. Any suggestions on how to get a good calorie burn WHILE I am watching tv would be great. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I hop on my elliptical in the evenings if I want to watch TV. I don't burn as many calories on it as I do with my other workouts, but it's better than sitting on the couch.

Get you a set of dumbbells and do some exercises with those while you watch. You can also do things like tricep dips, leg raises, squats, lunges.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound like an excuse, but I feel like there is no time to work out.
    I do admit to the fact that at night when I do have some time, I choose to catch up on my DVR'd shows.

You have plenty of time, if you really want to find time to workout, you'll have to adjust your priorities.
    Suggestions:
    Sit on an exercise ball while watching TV
    Do squats/lunges/crunches/planks while watching TV.
    Play outside with your kid - go for a walk or bike ride
    Walk your kid to pre-k, or to get groceries/errands
    Get a treadmill/elliptical/indoor trainer and a bike and workout inside, either in the morning or in the evening
  • queenkb
    queenkb Posts: 39
    Options
    I would repost my schedule but just typing it is tiring. I am a single mother of two 19 mnth old twins and I work full-time. I'm up at 5am and down by 11pm everyday. I feel your pain! What I suggest is energy..no not red bull or fat burners but B100 vitamins..just to give you the little push u need to get you through the day first. But you really have to get it in..take as many stairs as possible. Make walking the kids in the evening a family event, Jillian Michaels has that 30 day Shred that only takes 20 mins. Set your mind that you will atleast give yourself 30 mins of a 24hr day to do something for you. Believe me exercise is FOR YOU! It wil improve your mind and body. There is nothing better than relieving the stress of day with a good Cardio Kick! Best of luck finding the time to exercise. Its a daily challenge but one I am determined everyday to meet!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour before everyone else and go for a run. I'm not a morning person, and sooooooo not a runner, but it's free, simple and fit's into my schedule (by not changing myschedule at all, except for getting up earlier).

I sneak out of the house in the dark so as not to wake anyone.

I'm hoping to add in some evening excersises soon - more strength training type stuff - sit ups, weights etc. Hoping to be able to do it in my bedroom (if I can find a bit of space) so will have to be only excersises that don't "thump"
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bodyrocker website has tons of workouts that I do while watching tv in the evening. A lot of them are only 12 min long and are killer workouts too!

It does take some adjusting and wanting it more than the distractions. There is also 30 day shred and ripped in 30.. only 20-25 min long! I'm working on sending my kids to the other room or staying off 'my workout rug' while I workout. IT takes some getting used to, the first few times was a fight and very frustrating for me and we still have problems everyonce in a while but I give them a choice to stay in the other room and play with toys or workout with me in the same room. The older they get the easier it gets.

Make it a game and have them do as much as they can with you. :wink: :flowerforyou:
    I hope you find something out that works for you!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My view on things for myself:

I *make* the time to work out.

I "find" the time to watch my DVR shows.
  • pb6012002
    pb6012002 Posts: 54
    Options
    Bodyrocker website has tons of workouts that I do while watching tv in the evening. A lot of them are only 12 min long and are killer workouts too!

It does take some adjusting and wanting it more than the distractions. There is also 30 day shred and ripped in 30.. only 20-25 min long! I'm working on sending my kids to the other room or staying off 'my workout rug' while I workout. IT takes some getting used to, the first few times was a fight and very frustrating for me and we still have problems everyonce in a while but I give them a choice to stay in the other room and play with toys or workout with me in the same room. The older they get the easier it gets.

Make it a game and have them do as much as they can with you. :wink: :flowerforyou:
    I hope you find something out that works for you!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to go on this website right now!!!!!!