JOB SEARCH RANT

Options
mommared53
mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
Why in the world is it I can't find a job but people who can't spell or use proper grammar can? I was just looking on Craigslist and, so far, I have seen at least three ads with bad grammar and/or spelling errors! Two of them were posted by businesses, not individuals. Seeing those errors is making me crazy!

Okay, end of rant.

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Wonder what their mfp user names are?? :laugh:

*hides* ninja.gif
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree!! It's so frustrating. I also get annoyed when I see so many people doing a job so poorly. They manage to keep their job but I can't find one!
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Oh the job search can be sooo frustrating. As a new grad almost every job I looked at required "at least two years critical care experience". I got so tired of seeing that requirement! But God came through and got me an incredible job that I love. I am so thankful all those other opportunities didn't work out because than I wouldn't have found this one. Stay strong!! He has a plan for your life!
  • littlewords
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    I see spelling errors in job postings all the time.
    It makes me want to cry.
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    inform the company of the mistakes, they may see your talent and if they dont, mock them and say you wouldnt want to work for those idiots anyway! lol. I can relate to this though, very frustrating
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know, right? I have had a successful career in the past and recently got my masters. I was under the mistaken impression that adding that masters to my resume was going to make job hunting a cinch. I quit a job and moved to a new state several months ago, and I am unemployed. It is so demoralizing and embarrassing to be unable to find a job! Any job! I am either over or under qualified for everything. I am at my wit's end. I never thought I would be in this situation.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    The headline in our local paper "less school days proposed" made me want to throw stuff (possibly pointy stuff) at the editor.... It makes me sure that my job, while secure, is pointless, since only the English teachers at lunch caught what was wrong.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Bad grammar and poor spelling pisses me off royally!!! I also hate terrible penmanship.

Of course, I'm a Language Arts teacher, so it's my job to b*tch about these things :wink:
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I think I paint the streets rather nicely. Even if there is a mistake, at least it's pretty:flowerforyou:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNpPmNu6oxWsTvzHOILliMyW8Cj2kOGBoNn6t-CFvbZi0EjqhY6w
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    I think I paint the streets rather nicely. Even if there is a mistake, at least it's pretty:flowerforyou:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNpPmNu6oxWsTvzHOILliMyW8Cj2kOGBoNn6t-CFvbZi0EjqhY6w

haha as long as we know what it means lol
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    original poast would have bin much better if you'd deliverately misspelt some words and stuffs ..... ;)
  • ValRawn
    ValRawn Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! I understand people can have issues with spelling, just like others have trouble with math, but it is absurd the amount of people who don't even spend time double checking their work before they post it. Spell check will even do it for them!!
    What I absolutely hate the most is when my boss sends out a long letter on what we are all doing wrong (while he sits in his office watching youtube videos all day long, but that is a whole different rant on its own!) and it is written totally unprofessionally and full of spelling errors. How can you take a boss seriously when they do that! I mean, really!!
    Ok... I must stop myself before I get out of hand. I'm getting worked up just thinking about it!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I think one problem with actually doing a good job is that you have to be careful and precise.

People who tend to have these traits also tend to avoid doing things in fear of making mistakes.

Then there are people like you described. They get ahead because they don't care about perfection and thus aren't so scared.

It's hard. I'm currently trying to let go of letting my tendency to be careful and precise in my work from holding me back, like it has many many times before.
  • Bevbl3
    Bevbl3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When we're recruiting I check all the applications for bad spelling and grammar. After all, if they can't take their time to get it right at that point then how can I be confident that they can write a decent letter or email?

For me, attention to detail is key. I suppose this differs depending on the type of job someone is in.

Always remember though that grammar is the difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Why in the world is it I can't find a job but people who can't spell or use proper grammar can? I was just looking on Craigslist and, so far, I have seen at least three ads with bad grammar and/or spelling errors! Two of them were posted by businesses, not individuals. Seeing those errors is making me crazy!

Okay, end of rant.

I know this feeling so well. Just keep trying. I sent out nearly 200 applications before I found my current job (through a recruitment agency - do register with one if you can, they can be really useful because of their contacts).