Who else swings?

Options
Kettlebells? Please get your mind out of the gutter.
I first tried kb as sort of a gag but I broke a good sweat.
Then I looked for intense kb workouts on YouTube.
Sort of have a hybrid workout now. Twenty minutes non stop without putting Kettlebells down. Mostly swings then rotational moves for one minute slow downs when tired. Try before you laugh.

Replies

• foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    HAHA! Since I friended you yesterday I had to see what the hell this was about! I was thinking... "damn, accepted a friend request from a creeper! " lol!

Yeah, don't knock the kb until you try it. I did a whole work out this week using the 40ft ropes... I had seen it done, but never tried it myself, wowza, now that is a good work out!
  • msapril177
    msapril177 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yep, fell for it.

hahaha!!

No KB swinging here. Would like to try it though.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Totally fell for this too... Lol :laugh: I have been really want to get into KB exercises, just haven't had the funds for new equipment yet. That's the next equipment investment for me!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    *reads title and clicks immediately*
    *reads first post and hangs head, leaving thread*
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I see swing, i think "kettlebells". So naive...so, yes, i swing too. I like using them because i can burn a lot of calories & get a good workout in a very short time, but can also extend workouts for longer too on days when i've got more time on hand.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I love kettle bells. Kettle bell swings are such a great full body workout.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I guess that makes me a swinger! Love KB :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'll be buying a couple very soon - I've read a lot of great things about kettlebells and think they'll make a great addition to my strength program.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I do! I was swingin' today! Such a great workout!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have not KB'd yet. I do watch people at the gym, I keep waiting for one to go flying.
  • kcksmo
    kcksmo Posts: 19
    Options
    I just got THE KETTLEBELL WAY VOLUME 1 dvd and it kicked my butt... literally, my cheeks are still sore 2 days later... It was 14 exercises (2 minutes each) with a minute rest in the middle and a quick stretch before. I guess I will "swing" twice a week along with my regular exercises routine.

I thought I was way stronger than the video was expecting since the first 7 exercises I was jumproping in between because I felt a minute was a LONG break... WRONG! lol. I definitely started using my minute break more wisely the second half of the video.
  • malibukaty11
    malibukaty11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do about 40 swings a day- 20 first thing when I wake up and 20 before bed, no matter what other workout I do. I can really see a difference in my arms!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested because I've heard that people with bad backs can work out with them. Has anyone with herniated discs tried them out?
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Check out this study which examined caloric output during kettlebell workouts. http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf

I do not do a lot of kettlebell work myself at this point, but there is a lot of value in it. I am using them for swings with a couple clients right now thou. You can get similar results just by doing some high intensity circuit training.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I swing... just started though.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I assumed that it was referring to the popular Country-Western and Jazz Dance style...
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I actually clicked on the topic expecting it to be about Kettlebells.

Maybe it's cuz I do Kettlebells every now and again and knew it was a fitness forum, so my brain linked 'em.

Like I said. I do it occasionally. But I need a heavier bell and don't have the cash for one right now, so I've been sticking to my normal strength training until I can.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually used kettlebells very often. A fun way to use them (and very very challenging) is to put them on your bench press bar, or hang them using bands off the bars. This makes them swing around while you are benching and forces your muscles to stabilize them (its a killer workout).
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thought of swings as in the type you get at a kids playground? And I'm betting that sitting on a swing for a while will probably give me one hell of a workout if I were to do it now - just like every other damn thing i've tried recently that I used to do regularly as a kid! :D