Is it okay to slip up?

Options
Today i was doing rlly well with my diet, then i got emotional. i binged, I binged on OJ,cake,Chips,breads,peanut butter,and ham slices. About 1700 cals for that binge, & besides that only had breakfast before it, yogurt and fruit. So my total for the day is 1900 cals, with 0 exercise :(. Is this going to hinder any weight loss? I really want to be healthy & eat 1200 healthy cals each day with exercise. Its just really hard & need help.
Thanks in advance :heart: :smooched:

Replies

• HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    One day of binging will not hurt weight loss. And since you stayed under 2000 calories it wasn't much of a binge anyway. Why not up your daily calories to something a little easier like 1400-1500 calories. You will still lose weight just slower. It might help you keep your sanity!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    1900 isn't a binge. More like a nice sized meal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    1900 calories is probably less than it would take to maintain your current weight, so... no, it's not going to have any lasting impact. You might see a temporary upswing on the scale from the sodium in the chips, ham etc.

1200 could very well be too low for you, anyway. You're young, and only have 40 pounds you want to lose, so your goal should be no more than 1 pound a week. If you ate a little more all the time, you'd still get great results, but feel satisfied enough that you wouldn't feel the need to binge.
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    Hi! It's totally okay to slip up! Each meal, each snack, and each opportunity you have to have an interaction with your food and diet can be a clean slate. You just need to give yourself a little bit of leeway, step back and look at the bigger picture, and acknowledge that just because you didn't do 100% perfectly today, that your next meal has to be that way. You can do it! You're on the right track and don't give up! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course its not a good idea, but the world is not going to end, the the key thing is not to use it as an excuse to give up.
    Or an excuse to eat more junk. Go back to healthy eating tomorrow, you can't change what has already happened.

Just a thought- maybe you aren't eating enough, 1200 is very low and my personal opinion is that setting yourself up with a very restricitive calorie intake is a fast path to bingeing and giving up.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Everyone slips up. We're human. It is ok. The only thing not ok is to let a slip up become an excuse to screw the whole day or week. If you slip up, acknowledge it and move on. Get back on track starting immediately.
  • SCUBAMomofTwo
    Options
    Today i was doing rlly well with my diet, then i got emotional. i binged, I binged on OJ,cake,Chips,breads,peanut butter,and ham slices. About 1700 cals for that binge, & besides that only had breakfast before it, yogurt and fruit. So my total for the day is 1900 cals, with 0 exercise :(. Is this going to hinder any weight loss? I really want to be healthy & eat 1200 healthy cals each day with exercise. Its just really hard & need help.
    Thanks in advance :heart: :smooched:

One binge will not impede your weight loss; however, I suggest you look at what CAUSED the binge.

Personally, I think it may be cause by eating too little. Twelve hundred calories PLUS exercising is likely not enough fuel for your day; it might (MIGHT) be for a day with no exercise.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You would probably be less likely to binge if you up your protein. Besides the low calories, I would not be able to stay full with so little protein.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    We all slip from time to time, and really if we didn't give into those cravings from time to time, we wouldn't be successful in the long run. The important thing is don't make it a habit, you slipped up today, well get back on track tomorrow, and kick but. Worrying about it won't help, keep up the great work.
  • gracie_nc
    gracie_nc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't be too hard on yourself -- feel bad? Put on some of your favorite music and start dancing! Sing along. Soon you'll be feeling better and before you realize it!!!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Oh, MY! Why even call it a slip-up or a failure? It as a splurge and your body probably needed it. I agree that you are probably trying to survive on too little calories. If you only have 40# to lose, you shouldn't have MFP set to lose more than 1#/week. You might also consider using the BMR tool in the tools section and up your net calorie target to your BMR. Then, yes, eat most of your exercise calories on top of that.

There is a lot of good information out there indicating that splurging during your weight loss journey is good for you. Many people have success with the Spike Diet (do a search for it as the author is here on MFP).

Flexible dieters have greater long-term success. Check out some of these great articles:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/index.php?s=flexible+diet
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Tomorrow is a new day!!!