Sore Feet and working out

Options
So, like most of us, I have a day job that I tend to do before going to the gym and working out. Lately I've been having some trouble. I am on my feet all day at work and this makes my feet sore. Lately my sore feet have been getting in the way of my cardio workouts, the elliptical, the treadmill and sometimes even the bike.

Any suggestions on alternative cardio I can be doing while letting my feet rest or good worksafe(non slip) shoes I could look into to prevent the problem in the first place?

Replies

• Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Can you try swimming? That would give your feet a rest. Do you change your shoes from work to working out? Having new sneakers, with good supports, that you use ONLY for your workouts might help. Good luck!!! :-D
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My hubby has the sore feet problem too. He has falling arches I believe thay call it- and it causes pain in the ball of the foot area. He had to get the proper arch supports-actual inserts for his shoes and he doesn't have the foot pain any longer as long as he wears them. You might need to see a podiatrist or try those specialized Dr. Scholls inserts???
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My gym is sadly without a pool and yes I change shoes to work out. For a while I was using some sketchers shape-ups but they began hurting my feet so I switched to some sneakers.
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'll look into it.
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wore heels all day yesterday and was definitely feeling some pain this morning. I decided to go to the gym anyway and even though I felt it like no other for the first 10 minutes, I completely forgot about it for the entire time afterwards.

Mind over matter! As far as I'm concerned, unless it's joint pain I'm only making excuses.
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have had heel pain for years and it's called plantar fasciaitis. My podiatrist gave me inserts called Power Steps(can be found in shoe special ty stores) that you put into your shoes ( he suggests running shoes, New Balance, Aesics gel heels especially) They energize my feet and therefore can stay on my feet longer, I am a hairdresser so I know how it is to be in foot pain.
    I also before I get out of bed I do stretching exercises for about 4 minutes and then throughout the day as needed. Also, ice them after working out helps if you do it for a few weeks. Then see about low impact walking, definitely no sketchers and no treadmill on inclines.
    Good Luck
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter works until you have done too much damage to ignore it anymore.

I got insoles from a podiatrist. They cost a big chunk of change BUT my problems went away in 2 to 3 weeks.
    I was surprised at the damage to my feet that was shown in the x-rays, even a broken toe that had healed.
    A proper procedure will include you walking on an electronic pressure mat that will map out foot problems.

You may not have something that bad but why risk it. Between work and gym you might be injuring yourself a little more each day.
  • FloatingNee
    FloatingNee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work retail so that means 40+ hrs a week on my feet plus the gym. About a year ago I switch to wearing Reebok EasyTones and have been pain free ever since. The souls have two air filled stability balls built in so I'm standing on air all day plus they help put a little bounce in my step and my legs have never looked better. I hope this helps!
  • theweightinggame
    Options
    You need to definitely make sure you have the proper shoe for your feet. If you have a road runner sports store near you, you can go there and get on their treadmill. It has sensors that read the pressure in your feet and they can recommend a specific shoe. They're kinda pricey though. You don't necessarily have to buy your shoes there. I love my ASiCS. I know a lot of people that wear them. Also, I purchased the Dr. Scholls orthodic inserts. They have a machine that reads the pressure points on your feet also. They're $50, but that's much better than hundreds for orthodics. It's made a huge difference with my feet. ( have arthritis and plantar faciitis). Make sure you don't go bare footed. If by chance you have plantar faciitis, being barefooted makes it so much worse. Hope this helps a little.
  • Kllencrsby
    Options
    I would suggest Vibram Five Fingers. Google them. :-) They're not for everyone but they helped me tremendously since I have flat feet/no arch. I also have a knee problem and these shoes take so much pressure off of my joints. I'm able to go much longer on the elliptical and the treadmill and I'm actually using my leg muscles. These shoes made working out fun. Good luck!
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i'm in similar situation, i feel like i constantly have a bruised heel!.xx
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    i'm in similar situation, i feel like i constantly have a bruised heel!.xx

I have the same problem with both feet and have been told it's plantar fasciaitis. The podiatrist wants to have custom-made inserts made for me but they are too expensive right now. I am trying some insoles from the pharmacy.

Something that has helped, though, is getting 2 600ml bottles of water and freezing them (take soem water out first becasue you don't want to lose the bottle shape due to too much water in the bottles) then rolling your feet over them. I do it when I'm watching tv. It ices them while giving support at the same time. I also need to wear runners constantly and make sure I stretch my calves very well (the ligament runs from under the foot, over the heel and up the calf I believe).

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.
  • VenusCannon
    VenusCannon Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The heels on my feet hurt quite a bit and people have told me it's plantar facitis(spelling) . I started massaging my foot all the way up to my knee and down again this helps tremendously. I also put icy hot on my feet before putting on socks and workout shoes. This is very nice. Sometimes I sleep with icy hot when my feet hurt really bad(I dance a lot so my whole foot(both of them ) hurt a lot of the time. The icy hot helps more than you can believe. If it gets to bad though see your Dr. to avoid permanent damage.
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    What is icy hot?