Anyone else on a 1200 calorie diet?

Options
I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and I also usually burn about 500 calories on the elliptical 3-4 times a week. I was wondering if anyone else is doing something similar or on a 1200 calorie a day diet and is having success? I need some motivation, so if youre in the same boat as me with your calorie goal, please tell me how it is working for you!

Replies

• heatherrkayye
    Options
    I used to be. But I couldn't do it. :/ Or I should say my body couldn't do it. I was starting to get really sick, tired, and weak. So I had to up my calories a bit, by about 2 or 300. It wasn't working for me.
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and I also usually burn about 500 calories on the elliptical 3-4 times a week. I was wondering if anyone else is doing something similar or on a 1200 calorie a day diet and is having success? I need some motivation, so if youre in the same boat as me with your calorie goal, please tell me how it is working for you!
    Yep, on Sunday will be 3wks in and have killed 9lbs. Am just starting out so expect the rate to slow though.

Plus I do make sure I net 1200 after excercise which seems to be working currently,,
  • amber2521
    amber2521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just dont see the point in exercising to burn off calories if you are just going to put those calories back on. that doesnt make sense to me. :/
  • bballchck24
    Options
    I have 1200 calories and don't eat back my exercise calories.....I have found that with my body if I eat those calories back I will not lose or possibly even gain weight.
  • Fergie21
    Fergie21 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a 1200 sinse the end of Jan. I don't find it that difficult, on a friday i allow my self for calories for a treat lol. Good luck.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    remember to eat back your exercise cals so you have enough energy - 1700 is much more manageable than 1200.
  • amber2521
    Options
    I have 1200 calories and don't eat back my exercise calories.....I have found that with my body if I eat those calories back I will not lose or possibly even gain weight.
    so is that how you've been losing so much weight?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I just dont see the point in exercising to burn off calories if you are just going to put those calories back on. that doesnt make sense to me. :/

here we go . . . MFP already set a deficit for you. When you exercise, you must refuel what you burned in order to keep your body burning fat. The deficit is still there . . . if you don't eat the calories back you will have too little fuel (energy) for basic life functions, so your metabolism will tank. If you don't keep your NET calories at the number MFP gives you. You will in fact not lose weight, and then every time you have a little something extra like pizza, beer, cookies, whatever, you'll gain. Next you'll freak out and restrict more and work out harder. You won't lose the weight but you will get tired. Then you'll have a little something extra next month and gain again.

The only people who can have an extreme calorie deficit are obese people. Athletes eat a lot and they're not fat. You won't find any athletes who keep their net calories low -- because they would lose every race or game.

please read sticky notes for newcomers, bc judging from your question, you skipped that. please read "700 calories" article (there's a link at the top of my profile). Do it quick before you guarantee yourself failure.

blessings.
  • bnannee
    bnannee Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on the 1200 cal. it is acturally working for me. Here is what i do-
    Every Sunday I set up salads for the week filled with mix lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumber and garlic. in single serve containers. Nature valley granola bars, Light and Fit yogurt and homemade vegetable soup. This way when i feel like snacking it is all there!
    Breakfast is yogurt and granola bars, water and coffee.
    Snack is low fat string cheese
    Lunch is salad and soup along with water.
    Snack
    Dinner usually a Lean cuisine meal, or salad and ?
    Generally try to eat a salad every meal.
    I walk at least five days four miles.

Hope this helps
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

"700 calories" article (search MFP forums or see link at top of my profile). ever been at goal and stayed? not by eating 1200 calories and failing to eat exercise cals. You can't make it.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1000-1200 calorie diet depending on how hungry I am. I was regularly eating 1500 calories (just really fatty foods), so the transition hasn't been too hard for me :)
  • Beautymark1
    Options
    I just started a 1200 Cal diet on Monday. So far so good (as far as feeling hungry) only I feel like I'm eating all day long and still not reaching my daily goal after working out. The other day I went to complete my food diary and it told me if I didn't eat more my body would go into starvation mode. Not good.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calories since the beginning of jan. I eat fairly clean (no processed food) and have done away with most sugars. I used to struggle to get up to 1200 calories but it's gotten much easier. My diary is open. I do my best to eat back my workout calories, but some days I have a 100-200 left over.
  • McMellll
    McMellll Posts: 15
    Options
    mfp put me at 1210 calories, and then moved me to 1240. i generally exercise 30-45 min 5-6 days a week and i burn 200-400 calories each time. it's been REALLY hard for me. i generally go to bed STARVING even after i've eaten back some of my calories. i've been at this since May and only lost 12 lbs (although i took a break from October-late January b\c i was so frustrated). I've lost only 2 lbs in the 5 weeks i've been back. my problem is how do i not go over my calories every day, but don't go to bed starving. i've been having to eat to where i'm 100 under, meaning i'm having to eat 1300-1600 a day.
  • darstus
    darstus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories/day. I was eating my exercise calories back but did not lose ANYTHING. I read a message board regarding that problem so I quit eating my exercise calories back. I really didn't think the calories reported on my treadmill or elliptical machine were accurate as they were the same for me as it was for my husband. Not even close to the same size :happy: My first weight about 5 days later...lost 2 pounds. So I don't eat all the exercise calories BUT if it is a day that I need an extra snack or didn't have control of the food calories, I will use some exercise calories. And this second week...already down another 2 pounds!
  • MarisaElizabeth
    Options
    I eat between 1000 and 1200 calories most days (I have splurge days like anyone else) and I exercise most days of the week. I have plenty of energy to work out and live a regular lifestyle. It takes some getting used to if your body is used to a lot of calories but if you use smart calories you can do it. Eat calories like nuts, fruits, vegetables, and meats. I also drink between 10 and 12 cups of water a day and have lost 35 pounds in the last 3 months. You can do it..just takes some adjusting on your bodies part.
  • amber2521
    Options
    so then my next question would be what about when i do NOT exercise? then I stick with the 1200 calories right?
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    I am on the 1200 cal diet. I do 25-35 min on the elliptical 5-6 times a week (approx 250 cals) and will usually eat back my workout calories. If I overeat one day I will workout more the following to keep me at or under my weekly goal. I eat enough to feel energetic and have lost 13 lbs in 50 days on MFP!

For every 5 lbs I've lost i have upped my workout goals to 5 min more in order to maintain the same extra workout calories each day. The constancy feels good to me.

Feel free to add me if you'd like! My diary is open to connections.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Listen to sleepytexan. She is correct. DO your homework.

I'm on 1200 and have lost 7 over the last 2 weeks. I eat back my calories and I try to up my protein intake. I eat at 7am 11am 3pm and 7pm and do not get hungry.

Breakfast bagel/cream cheese, apple/peanut butter, tortilla/egg cereal/milk
    lunch salad with all the fixens including protien just in portion control, meat/veggie pasta dish, beans cornbread, or whatever i had for supper.
    supper what ever I want in the right portion.

For every meal I have a carb and protein. It stabilizes blood sugar and prevents hunger swings.
  • Toriadls
    Toriadls Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet but i'm also taking a multivamin and weight/energy diet pill Zantrez-3 and i'm hopeful about losing weight i just started to actually start even though i've been a member for awhile. I hope to lose weight soon. :happy: but i don't exercise much because i'm always at school or work which makes it hard..