Do you underestimate or overestimate your food?

Options
One of my MFP friends says that whenever she goes to log food and finds multiple listings of something, she always picks the one that has the least amount of calories. This struck me as funny because when that happens to me, I always do the opposite and pick the one with the most amount of calories. I guess I want to "err on the side of caution". That way I don't accidentally eat over my calories and gain. So what do you do? Be honest.:smile:

Replies

• shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I would pick the most amount of calories if I wasn't sure. If I was putting the least amount I'm sure I'd over eat.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    definitely the most!

I also leave 150-200 calories in my log at the end of the day to account for mismeasuring and other mistakes.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I pick the higher calories for food, the lower calories for exercised calories burned
  • RunDottyRun
    Options
    General rule of thumb is overestimate calories in (food), underestimate calories out (exercise). For example, when I train whatever my HRM tells me I deduct at least 10% off it to be safe.
  • TIFFANYPLUS3
    Options
    I also tend to overestimate, but I have to measure out the actual food - I underestimate how much I'm physically eating if I just "eyeball" it
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with middle ground? :tongue:
  • NaomiWhite77
    NaomiWhite77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I pick the middle.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    Overestimate
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    I generally search around on the web for confirmation. A bigger issue for me -- portion size. The scale now lives permanently on the counter.
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't over estimate or under estimate..I just log as is
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I always choose the higher amount when logging food. I figure I rather say I ate more than I really did.
  • darstus
    darstus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I pretty much figure the calories myself or use the package information. Of course it is nice when the database has the item and correct information. But if I had to pick, I would just slightly overestimate.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    definitely the most!

I also leave 150-200 calories in my log at the end of the day to account for mismeasuring and other mistakes.

This is what I do. I will also log less calories than my HRM or the machines tell me... I don't want to put myself over calories at all.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I pick the higher calories for food, the lower calories for exercised calories burned

this
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I use my best judgement. Generally the highest but if I'm eating a donut and the highest is 800 cals and the lowest is 100 cals I'm going to assume both are BS and find something in between...probably in the 300 cal range.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    definitely the most!

I agree with this whole heartedly. I always measure a little less food also just to be sure I am not ovorr doing the portion. If my calorie goal is 2100 I will be sure to eat 2000 just to be sure!
  • dixiecup19
    dixiecup19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I definitely overestimate my food calories.
  • FitnessKing8
    FitnessKing8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Over estimate because even if you do under estimate on your plan for myfitnesspal, just to get below your calorie its gonna have no effect on what the scale says. You would be cheating youself and if you over estimate a little bit then it will motivate you to keep going to work off those extra calorie

Dominic Capron- Fitness helper
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale.
  • ltosoni
    ltosoni Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always over estimate my food and under estimate my exercise, not sure why but it works for me!