How do I cope with this?

Options
Hey everyone my names Ashley and I am of course over weight. Well I love my husband but it's so hard sometimes living with him. He is super skinny like under weight. He is trying to gain weight. I always loved me being me but now I want to change and I feel like i can't cope with this. What do I do? How to keep up my work? I will loss pounds then he will want a cake or make cobbler or something for desert and boom back at the same weight. He is the one that cooks dinner but it's never really that healthy. We both come from southern families so I guess that's why all the food is great and our families are huge, besides him of course. I just need some words of advice.. Please

Replies

• purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I know this is late, but I felt like I should go and respond to this.

You need to have a sit down with him and talk about why you want to lose weight and how he is sabatoging your progress. Before this talk, you have to write down a list of reasons why you want to lose weight (health, children, no diabetes, etc.) so he understands the total impact of the damage he could potentially cause with his fat filled meals. You say he is trying to gain weight, I would actually talk to him about maybe joining this site, there's actually a faction of people on here trying to gain weight. He might not think of this, but by trying to gain weight eating all these unhealthy meals, all he's going to gain is a nice sized gut. Unless he's doing research on the healthiest way to gain weight, he's just as at risk for heart disease as you are. There is such a thing as "skinny fat", maybe he should look it up.

You should also reassure him. Many men will hinder their girlfriends/wives weight loss because they're afraid once she gets thin and hot, she'll leave him for someone else. In my case, my ex fiancee years ago thought I was trying to lose weight because I was seeing someone behind his back (which wasn't true, I was doing it because I knew if I lost weight, my persistant heart burn would go away, but he refused to believe me. You can see why he's my ex.)

Finally, only you can control what you put in you mouth. He's not sitting there forcing you to eat his meals, is he? Does he have a gun to your head? Then you don't have to eat it. Find healthy alternatives for you for the peach cobbler, cake, etc. and don't eat the fat, fried food and sweets he puts in front of you. Start making dinner yourself. There are thousands of healthy recipes on the internet, and you can always browse though Amazon or Barnes and Noble for healthy cookbooks (you can find some GREAT deals on Amazon.)
  • ashli_rose
    Options
    I wish there was a LIKE button on here! Great advice sweetheart :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I agree with the prior poster - skinny does not equal healthy! He is still at risk for t2 diabetes, heart disease, etc if he is eating poorly. Maybe set up a schedule where you cook alternating nights, or explore healthy new menus together. Look at it as an investment in the health of BOTH of you. Good luck!
  • rascalcat8
    Options
    Great advice on here so far. In addition, do you think he would get himself checked out by a doctor? I've been trying to lose weight for years, with some success her and there, during which time my husband (who is much leaner than me) was supportive. Then we find out that this seemingly healthy man has high blood pressure. Faced with this diagnosis, he has become much more receptive to me wanting to try new things, like lower fat and sodium recipes, switching out ingredients here and there to make the meals a bit healthier, etc...

Not that I'm hoping you will find he has medical issues, but if you both have something to work toward together, a longer, healthier life together, then maybe it becomes a bit easier for you. If nothing else, the doctor might be able to explain to him what it is you are trying to do for yourself and what benefits your husband can gain as well.

Good luck!
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Let me explain my situation. I am married with children...ages 20, 18 and 14. The 14 yr old has been gluten free because of celiacs. She gives up many things that we take for granted...and has to make substitutions. So, I say to myself...me being overweight is my problem...not my husbands, not my kids. If your husband is skinny...so be it. Remember, in my opinion...you are not his mother. He can eat what he wants...and you can eat what you want. Eating healthy is simple...when you think about it...fruits, veggies, grilled meats (which cook quickly) . Saying you are from the south is no excuse in my book...we all have them...my mom was German...oh so schnitzle and dumplings for me??? my husbands family is Italian...food is life...So, I think if you want to lose weight...do it...no matter what. If your hubby has bad food around..then make a choice. You either want weight loss bad enough, or you don't. I am not saying it will be easy, it ill be quick, but I am saying it is YOUR choice. I wish you luck and encouragement
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain just a bit - but with me it's not hubby, it's my kids, esp my daughter. She has some very special circumstances, and is in the care of a nutritionist, her pediatrician, and a physical therapist. And she needs to eat a lot of high calorie, high fat foods. She is even encouraged to eat processed sugar. It is everywhere in my home. I have to learn to control my own eating. I am learning to say no to most stuff and how to enjoy MUCH smaller portions of the rest.

One of the things that has actually helped me the most is working out regulalry. Most of the time it's a lot easier to say no to that (fill in the blank with your favorite food) when you think to yourself, I am trading this for that hour of hell at the gym.
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls! I use to eat nothing but fruits and vegs when I lived alone. I am not a big meat eater unless someone cooks is. We have only be married since November so I am just now getting into going back to eating better. I was down to 160 around September then I started eating with him and boom 199. Never been there before always in the 180s. But I am ready to change my eating again and hopefully he will start changing too. He is always willing to workout which is nice but I hate working out. We do A few workout things together which is great. So I hope with use working out more he will want to eat better. Thanks again!