online personality ~vs~ "in real life"

Options

Replies

• chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Online people can be whoever they want. In person sometimes people are just weird. Online some act all hard and like they are deep and edgy but in reality that suck pretty bad. I only like those who are really authentic and have a personality. It does show online.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same, but I'm fairly animated in real life. :)
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm very shy in real life and only talk to one person about weight related things ever... Hence the ambiguous profile pic and pseudonym!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Im actually much more reserved online than I am IRL - (In the minority) - On here I think twice before posting etc - I do not have that filter in person....
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think my personality is pretty consistent both online and offline.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same annoying, funny, shy, obnoxious, arrogant, nice, lovable person in all of my worlds.....
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on who I'm talking to, both in real life and online.

I go to a lot of different forums. I visit a few that are about spiritual/religious things and I tend to be a little more serious and informative there.

I also go to a forum for parents (it's mostly women, lol) and I'm more myself there. I tend to be sarcastic and humorous, much like I am in real life.

Here on MFP I'm sort of mellow. This is the place I come to for fitness, nutrition, and health concerns. I'm sure as I get used to the community more my personality will shine through better.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    little more outgoing online, but overall same personality
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with a friend I know through this website. I'm the same person online as I am off. But I do believe some people find it a little more freeing to be open online with new people that they will probably never meet.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    i'm way more motivating to my friends online that in "real life'. I have never said "great job on your food diary" to any of my real life buddies. I want to, but it comes out "dude, you seriously ate the whole thing??'
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I lack personality....in real life and online.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't think I complain as much in real life. I hope I am a little less "woe is me" in real life anyway!
  • Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options

me? what you see is what you get. There is not ~one~ thing I would say here that I wouldn't say in person. And my personality matches pretty well. I'm pretty much sarcastic and obnoxious everywhere. ~wink~

All I literally see in the OP is boobs... Just sayin
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i'm way more motivating to my friends online that in "real life'. I have never said "great job on your food diary" to any of my real life buddies. I want to, but it comes out "dude, you seriously ate the whole thing??'

holy crap, that's funny! haha "Dude! great job on your food diary!, bro!" My friends would punch me for saying that. haha
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If I get excited enough about something to post it on here, then you bet I'm the same amount of excited in real life!
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Haha... You make a good point.
  • DameVenus
    DameVenus Posts: 70
    Options
    Eh, I'd say that I am more outgoing online. I am pretty shy in person.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Online I'm probably more talkative initially than I would be off. I'm very shy towards strangers but once I warm up I'm talkative, active, and love to make folks laugh. The only really big difference is online I have less of a problem telling someone what I think of them entirely. Offline I don't like to make waves but if someone is wrong enough (I'm a stickler for correction, it's not that I'm a jerk I just like things to be right so false info isn't given to someone else) or makes me mad enough I will tell them so and not feel one ounce of remorse.

But really no matter what I'm an opinionated, short-fused person who can't resist a good debate but at the same time will shut up and lend someone an ear when they need it. The various levels comes out slightly different in text versus vocally (I blame the lack of inflection, my sarcasm's been taken as rude or mean behavior before when it's been in jest and apparently sometimes people read my words to mean something else and it's caused fights) and offline I'm more inclined to be a listener and only speak when I have something I feel is important to say. Online it's pretty much fair game.

The other thing is, online I can quite easily hide some aspects of my self such as certain interests I have or the fact I am clinically insane, and I mean that factually I have a lot of mental disorders. I know what makes people uncomfortable and that's why the only "friends" I have are online and only know one or two aspects of me. All my real life friends and those that knew all of me have left or been left. I guess you could call that being fake with someone, but in my line of business it's how I have to run things.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm crazy in person and online :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty opinionated and people online can interpret me as being mean, but in real life I am much friendlier but still opinionated.. it's just that they can see me and hear me and know that I am not being harsh.