Low Calorie, High Protein foods?

Options

Replies

• SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I manage to easily get over 120 grams of protein a day on a regular basis; here's what some of my meals include:

- serving of Greek yogurt (18 grams protein)
    - chicken, turkey breast, ground turkey, canned tuna (the whole can) salmon, halibut, and other white fish
    - lean steak and pork tenderloin
    - kale and spinach (kale chips in the oven are DE LI CI OUS!)
    - low-fat cottage cheese, milk, and chocolate milk
    - eggs and egg whites (usually I'll do a combo of 2 eggs + 3 egg whites, scrambled = 25 g protein)
    - protein powder
    - tofu, beans, natural peanut butter

lots of options, you just have to be creative!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    99% fat free ground turkey
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    So while I have been great at keeping under or around my daily calorie limit, I have been having a really hard time getting in enough protein (usually only 40-65g versus the 150g I should be getting).

I use the Cytosport-100% Whey Protein-Chocolate mix once in a while, but the calorie content overloads my daily limit pretty fast, so I try not to have it often. (especially since I can't stand it with regular water, so I usually mix it with fat free/skim milk.)

Are there any foods or meals you'd recommend that are relatively low in calories but have a decent amount of protein content? I don't have any food allergies, and I'll eat pretty much anything, so no restraints...

Any help would be awesome! ^_^

I am really, really surprised your goal is 150g of protein.
    I am 6'1" and weigh 210 lbs, and my protein goal is only 69 g !

150g of protein is 600 calories (4 cal per gram of protein)
    If your total calorie goal is say 1500, that means you target protein is 40% of the total cals !!

Way too much protein, if you let me say, unless you do strength training.

I follow the DASH guidelines, with protein being 15 to 20% of your total calories.

So I would recommend you investigate if you really need that much protein.

I have 170g of protein everyday! You cant eat to much protein, its good for you. I would starving all day if I only ate 69g of protein.
  • Commander6666
    Commander6666 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eat some meat!!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have 170g of protein everyday! You cant eat to much protein, its good for you. I would starving all day if I only ate 69g of protein.

You can probably eat too much protein. I think (and I'm not a doctor, so this is just what I've heard/read) the problem with some meal plans like Atkins (ketogenic diets) and the like is that people were eating too few calories, too much protein, and not enough water, and their kidneys were going into overdrive and causing problems.

So really it's just like everything else, in moderation! That being said - I'd take 170 grams over 69 grams ANY day!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options

You can probably eat too much protein. I think (and I'm not a doctor, so this is just what I've heard/read) the problem with some meal plans like Atkins (ketogenic diets) and the like is that people were eating too few calories, too much protein, and not enough water, and their kidneys were going into overdrive and causing problems.

So really it's just like everything else, in moderation! That being said - I'd take 170 grams over 69 grams ANY day!

Most people who do Atkins also don't do it the right way. They stay at 20g of carbs the whole time they do the diet. You are only suppose to stay at 20g carbs for 2 weeks and then start upping it!

I think most people can eat protein without having problems. If they do have kidney problems, they should be on a special diet anyways. I only have 1 kidney and have never had an issue with eating high protein, I just make sure to drink my water and eat healthy! =P
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Macros are pretty individualized. Some people need higher or lower levels of specific macros based on specific medical conditions.

As for the DASH diet, it's a diet book. I wouldn't put any more faith in that than I would the Atkins or South Beach diets.

Sedentary people need 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight according to the USDA. Most fitness professionals suggest slightly higher levels for people losing weight, 1.5 grams per kilogram, in order to assist with maintaining lean mass, more so for cardio trainers than for strength trainers.

As for the 1 gram per pound of LBM, it's a very close number to 1.5g/kg so people who use pounds tend to use it.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    Any options for vegetarians?

Mixing legumes with grains makes a complete protein so the obvious would be some form of bean with a brown rice or other complex whole grain...
    Boca products have a good amount of protein and generally available in main-stream grocery stores.
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Tofu
    Nut butters like almond and cashew
  • bailbondbabs
    Options
    POACH your chicken! So juicy and full of protein. I almost always go way over the protein set for me :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    @suziecue66:

Not sure where you obtained that number of 1 gram of protein per pound, but if I used that recommendation I would need:
    209 lbs x 0.74 = 155 grams !! (I estimate I have 26% body fat)

That would be equivalent to almost 34% of my calories from protein !!
    too much by any standards !
    That Generic rule of "1 gram of protein" per lean mass seems then meant for body builders, etc.

Furthermore, the 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass that you recommend, is not a rule that agrees with the DASH recommendations.

Look at page 11 of this page from the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

They recommend 18% of calories to be assigned to protein.
    I have elected to set to 15%, which is still within the DASH guidelines of 15 to 20% found in other papers and studies.
    My calories per day is 1830, so that means: 0.15* 1830 = 274.5 calories from protein
    274.5 calories is almost 69 grams of protein, which is my goal at the moment.

I know not everyone agrees with DASH, but it certainly makes sense to me.
    So while I have been great at keeping under or around my daily calorie limit, I have been having a really hard time getting in enough protein (usually only 40-65g versus the 150g I should be getting).

I use the Cytosport-100% Whey Protein-Chocolate mix once in a while, but the calorie content overloads my daily limit pretty fast, so I try not to have it often. (especially since I can't stand it with regular water, so I usually mix it with fat free/skim milk.)

Are there any foods or meals you'd recommend that are relatively low in calories but have a decent amount of protein content? I don't have any food allergies, and I'll eat pretty much anything, so no restraints...

Any help would be awesome! ^_^

I am really, really surprised your goal is 150g of protein.
    I am 6'1" and weigh 210 lbs, and my protein goal is only 69 g !

150g of protein is 600 calories (4 cal per gram of protein)
    If your total calorie goal is say 1500, that means you target protein is 40% of the total cals !!

Way too much protein, if you let me say, unless you do strength training.

I follow the DASH guidelines, with protein being 15 to 20% of your total calories.

So I would recommend you investigate if you really need that much protein.

maybe 150g protein is too much but the amount you have is very low. At a minimum whilst losing weight, exercising should aim for 1g protein per pound of lean mass.

The 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass is the general recommendation out there. I try and get around 100-110g of protein a day (my LBM is around 106lbs). I used to aim for higher, but found that it causes me to have issues with my kidneys when I consume more than 130g or so. So, I tend to stay well under that.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Consider a new protein supplement. Dymatize iso 100 as an example has zero carbs or fat @ 106 calories per 25g protein. Any lean meat will be pretty much pure protein with little fat. Plain Greek yogurts, cottage cheese, ff cream cheese are all decent options.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My lean body mass is 122lbs and I customized my goals to shoot for 120g of protein pd. When I exercise, that number goes up and I don't always hit it. If I hit 100, I feel full and have the energy to do the things I want to do. I'm satisfied with that. If I don't, I'm hungry, achey, tired and mean. Everyone will be a bit different. Nutrition is not a one-size-fits-all.

There have been really good suggestions on here for natural foods that do the trick. I'm going to try the kale... don't think I've ever eaten it. Had NO idea it was high in protein. :)
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    Try ISO100 from Dymatize. 1Scoop(28g) mixed in water will give you only 106 cal but with 24g protein, 1g carb and 0g fat :smile:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/iso90.html
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I recommend to read this article from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine,
    and form your own opinion:

How Can I Get Enough Protein? The Protein Myth

http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=251

Some extracts:

1) Protein Requirements
    With the traditional Western diet, the average American consumes about double the protein her or his body needs. Additionally, the main sources of protein consumed tend to be animal products, which are also high in fat and saturated fat. Most individuals are surprised to learn that protein needs are actually much less than what they have been consuming. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein for the average, sedentary adult is only 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight.2

To find out your average individual need, simply perform the following calculation:

Body weight (in pounds) X 0.36 = recommended protein intake (in grams)

However, even this value has a large margin of safety, and the body’s true need is even lower for most people. Protein needs are increased for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. In addition, needs are also higher for very active persons. As these groups require additional calories, increased protein needs can easily be met through larger intake of food consumed daily. Extra serving of legumes, tofu, meat substitutes, or other high protein sources can help meet needs that go beyond the current RDA.

2) The Problems with High-Protein Diets
    High-protein diets for weight loss, disease prevention, and enhanced athletic performance have been greatly publicized over recent years. However, these diets are supported by little scientific research. Studies show that the healthiest diet is one that is high in carbohydrate, low in fat, and moderate in protein. Increased intake of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are recommended for weight control and preventing diseases such as cancer3 and heart disease.4 High-carbohydrate, low-fat, moderate-protein diets are also recommended for optimal athletic performance.5 Contrary to the information on fad diets currently promoted by some popular books, a diet that is high in protein can actually contribute to disease and other health problems.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have set my ratios to 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat. A little higher in protein and lower in carbs. I definitely have trouble hitting my protein goal. I am aiming for 100 grams a day which puts me close to the target.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Bump
  • mamadodge01
    mamadodge01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bumping....interesting reading. :smile:
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I recommend to read this article from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine,

Some extracts:

1) Protein Requirements
    With the traditional Western diet, the average American consumes about double the protein her or his body needs. Additionally, the main sources of protein consumed tend to be animal products, which are also high in fat and saturated fat. Most individuals are surprised to learn that protein needs are actually much less than what they have been consuming. The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein for the average, sedentary adult is only 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight.2

To find out your average individual need, simply perform the following calculation:

However, even this value has a large margin of safety, and the body’s true need is even lower for most people. Protein needs are increased for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. In addition, needs are also higher for very active persons. As these groups require additional calories, increased protein needs can easily be met through larger intake of food consumed daily. Extra serving of legumes, tofu, meat substitutes, or other high protein sources can help meet needs that go beyond the current RDA.

High-protein diets for weight loss, disease prevention, and enhanced athletic performance have been greatly publicized over recent years. However, these diets are supported by little scientific research. Studies show that the healthiest diet is one that is high in carbohydrate, low in fat, and moderate in protein. Increased intake of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are recommended for weight control and preventing diseases such as cancer3 and heart disease.4 High-carbohydrate, low-fat, moderate-protein diets are also recommended for optimal athletic performance.5 Contrary to the information on fad diets currently promoted by some popular books, a diet that is high in protein can actually contribute to disease and other health problems.

I wouldn't go by what PCRM recommends.

"For the uninitiated, PCRM is a deceptive animal rights group with longstanding ties to PETA. A majority of its funding comes from a single wealthy vegetarian restaurant owner, who (not coincidentally) is also the largest donor in PETA’s history. PCRM’s food mission is simple: leverage the prestige of a relative handful of vegan medical doctors to justify denigrating anything that contains meat, dairy, or eggs.

It’s no longer a secret that PCRM is a home for disaffected animal activists who want to force us all into meatless eating (for our own good, of course). Recently the McClatchy-Tribune News Service began adding a “tag” to PCRM president Neal Barnard’s opinion essays, noting that he “is president of the vegan advocacy group Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.”
    http://www.consumerfreedom.com/2011/05/4454-if-they-wont-join-you-beat-them-over-the-head/
  • uhhuthatsright
    uhhuthatsright Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump (thanks for the info elpumamex!). I like it :smile:
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Some extracts:

1) Protein Requirements

Honestly that article is extremely dated with references that are 15 years old! Advances in medicine change rapidly as does technology. Take a cell phone for example...any one going to argue a cell phone from 15 yrs ago is any competition to a cell phone in 2012??? Keep searching for further resources as that one simply is too old to be relevant.