Help Please...

I need a little help. I have injured my knee so there is no exercising for me for a while…..a good long while it looks like. I can’t even walk from room to room right now with out a lot of pain and forget about even bending that knee. Just getting comfortable in bed is a major challenge. I have been trying to find information about chair exercises with no luck. I really would like to know how many calories I am burning. I sit here and do upper body exercises being VERY careful not to bend or twist that knee. Does anybody know where I can find the information about the calories burned?
(boy my arms tired)

Replies

• Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    I need a little help. I have injured my knee so there is no exercising for me for a while…..a good long while it looks like. I can’t even walk from room to room right now with out a lot of pain and forget about even bending that knee. Just getting comfortable in bed is a major challenge. I have been trying to find information about chair exercises with no luck. I really would like to know how many calories I am burning. I sit here and do upper body exercises being VERY careful not to bend or twist that knee. Does anybody know where I can find the information about the calories burned?
    (boy my arms tired)
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Oh, oh! I think I may have a resource for you - I'll look into it tonight & get back to you!

Keep your head up!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Thank You Soooooo Much!!
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Have you looked into pilates? It might be an option at some point down the road. I've heard it's been used for injury rehab.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    in the mag i picked up recently is talks about doing exercises in the car. 1.it says that you should push your stomach out as far as you can and then suck it in pushing in to your spine. and as a stress busting bonus breathing deeply increases oxygen levels in the blood. and oxygen delivers extra fuel to cells for an instant energy boost. 2. squeeze away thigh flab- place your purse between your knees and squeeze your legs together, then release. repeat 10 times. when you press your legs together you engage the abductors thus toning that muscle. bonus, contracting and releasing the muscles increases blood flow to the area, prompting the brain to unleash a rush of endorphins, mood boosting brain chemicals. it would seem like you could possibly do these without too much stress on your knee.
  • I'm sooo sorry to hear about your knee! However I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. You are the one that is always giving me advice. Pamelawh you are so smart I'm mean who would have thought about working out in the car. I work in a office and I'm always trying to think of ways to work out in my chair. I might have to try some of your ideas! Loretta I hope you feel better and hang in there, you truly an insporation to me! We are here for you!
  • agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    Dear Kbrain, I am sorry to hear about your injury. Rest & relax. A hot cup of tea & good book might help. Maybe your to hard on yourself about the exercise. Sometimes we just need a little break, time to clear our heads. I am sure you have what it takes to get through this. You had a great weight loss, working hard to get there. All I am saying is a fighter like you should not have to worry. This is only a small setback. You'll get where you need to be soon enough. Be well...Peace out, AGITCH
  • agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    Loretta-Jo, so sorry about miss naming you below. I read the other name after yours and it stuck to my brain (a senior moment!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,879 Member
    Ms Loretta-Jo,

Sorry to hear about your knee. Did your doctor tell you what the injury is? I had knee surgery - and was back at work in ten days as a waitress years ago.

Take care...! Keep in touch with us, please.

~cheryl
  • Loretta_Jo
    Thanks everyone for your help and concern.
    I hit my knee cap really hard on a piece of furniture about 2 weeks ago. The doctor took X-rays. Nothing is broken. All he saw was damage from the arthritis. He prescribed a steroid pack. Every time I take steroids I gain 20 pounds….it is a given. I talked with the nurse about it and she said don’t take them…..so I’m not. The anti-inflammatory drug that he prescribed comes with strong warnings (in capital letters) about risk of serious and sometimes fatal heart problems, heart attack and stroke so I am not taking that either….not until I see my neurologist. I have pain meds for my back that I am taking ….they are helping with the pain in my knee….some. I had surgery on the other knee several years ago….now I have injured this one. The one that I had surgery on is now hurting because I am having to put more weight on it. But hey…things could be worse so I am not going to complain too loudly and just thank goodness that it isn’t any worse then it is *grin* .
    So….until I can walk and exercise more I will just sit here, at my desk, and reach for the sky and twist and turn from side to side…etc…just getting in some movement to help burn some of the calories that I am eating.

*Stepping into the confessional*
    Because of the extra pain meds I was taking yesterday I ate WAY over what I had planned to eat for the day. My stomach needed the extra food in it along with the extra meds I was taking. BUT one day does not brake and ruin my WHOLE diet. So all is not lost and I am back to my regular eating plan today and hopefully I wont have to take as many pain meds as I did yesterday. Since I got up I haven’t had to take any pain meds…yet. I am being VERY careful with my knee.
    Thanks again you guys.
    Loretta
  • Hi Lorretta
    Bad news about the knee cap, I think I have a site for you now but I will have a look to see if I can find anymore. On siteselector.co.uk on the calorie control page they have a calories burnt link that I think incudes sit down exercises also on their lower stomach link Im sure that page does sit down as well. Good luck I will keep looking
    Brhodes
  • You shouldn't feel guilty about yesterday atleast you are back on track today! We all have our bad days right?
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Loretta_Jo, I know what it is like to have bad knees, man, do I know!!! All my life I've popped them out with results of a cast, draining a cup of blood out, knee surgery, 6 month stretches of not being able to do exercise. And then it all throws my hips and back out of whack. Hope you have less pain soon!
    Eventually when things start to get better, the best exercise for knees is biking as it smooths the inside of the kneecap out and strengthens your legs. Right now, that would be out of the question...lol.
    Your local library might be able to hook you up with a video or DVD for gentle stretching for people in wheelchairs, or the "more mature" in chairs. Not that I'm saying you are!
    We have one at our library that is quite good.
  • Hi Loretta Jo,

I'm so sorry to hear about your knee problems! Feel better soon.

I'm also not a doctor, but a family member of mine had a knee replacement and a hip replacement a couple of years ago, and what helped most - once she healed for a bit - was water therapy. It allows you to strengthen yourself without putting too much weight on your injuries. Most local YMCAs offer programs, or you could check with your doctor. Best of luck!!